PDA

View Full Version : Loud Filters and Discus

m1nh0h
04-29-2011, 03:13 PM
do you think loud filters affect discus behavior or make them stress out?

strawberryblonde
04-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Mine totally hated me when I added an extra hydro sponge filter (without a diffuser). That lasted about a day and then they were back to business as usual. I think they can adjust to the noise within limits. I mean, if it sounds like an airplane taking off they probably will never adjust, but for the normal noises, yeah, they should be ok with it.

SB

jcardona1
04-29-2011, 03:25 PM
I've thought about this as well. If I put my ear to the sound of the tank, you can hear the loud constant humming from the filters. I've wondered if this bothers fish.

ericatdallas
04-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Never even thought about it.. I know they freak out when my wife takes a shower upstairs... the intermittent banging startles them because the pipes that run to the upstair bathroom is right next to their tank.

But yeah, that would probably drive me nuts to have that constant hum... hmm... I might have to consider buying a new filter and air pump... Honestly, I was thinking of doing that anyway because I have a hard time hearing the TV due to the filter so this is just one more excuse :P

strawberryblonde
04-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Honestly, I was thinking of doing that anyway because I have a hard time hearing the TV due to the filter so this is just one more excuse :P

Any excuse will do, right?? LOL

ericatdallas
04-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Any excuse will do, right?? LOL

When it comes to convincing the wife about spending more money on the fish, the more the better :)

m1nh0h
04-29-2011, 06:24 PM
I got a new Aquaclear recently and it's super noisy. Is it supposed to be that loud?

ericatdallas
04-29-2011, 06:29 PM
I have an AC110 and it's super quiet so I would say no... but maybe I just got lucky?

Or it's subjective?

LOL, or my Whisper is so loud I can't hear the AC110 :P

discuspaul
04-29-2011, 09:01 PM
I've thought about this as well. If I put my ear to the sound of the tank, you can hear the loud constant humming from the filters. I've wondered if this bothers fish.

Yeah, I've done the same thing - and there is quite a loud hum within the tank. You wonder how the discus get accustomed to it, when any other kind of noise reverbates in the water and tends to make them jumpy - maybe it's because it's consistent, but not sharp. I don't notice any difference in their behavior when the filters are turned off.
They become quiet though, but I think it's because they're used to the routine, and know they're going to be disrupted for a while with the wcs. LOL

moon_knight1971
04-29-2011, 09:22 PM
I got a new Aquaclear recently and it's super noisy. Is it supposed to be that loud?

did you check if the impeller is securely in? I have 2 AC110s and they are mostly quiet unless the impeller is a little loose

ericatdallas
04-30-2011, 12:10 AM
did you check if the impeller is securely in? I have 2 AC110s and they are mostly quiet unless the impeller is a little loose

Good point... I actually remember reading that before I bought my AC110s. I did the research to make sure it was quiet and someone in another forum mentioned that you have to make sure it's secure.

Also, the AC70s are supposed to be more quiet...

Hsunami
04-30-2011, 02:16 AM
the way i see it, the more noise that they adapt too the better they'll be in the future. Because if your house is super quiet and nothing ever happens then one day BANG! BA! BOOM! then they'll be even more stressed out than having being use to a moderate amount of noise. Its like us interacting with the fish and how they are never scared of our hand anymore. If we only did that once a month they'll never come to our hand and annoy us when doing maintenance they'll be like "WHOA BIG HAND RUN AWAY!!!" not "O. . . its maintenance time again. . . "

gills
04-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Never had big problem with noise but clearance once. Had to shim piece of foam between filter body and glass to work. This made the filter very quiet. Check the impeller and shim with foam or sponge. It should take alot of vibration out.

fishorama
04-30-2011, 08:52 PM
I've noticed a couple times after filter cleaning if I don't get the impeller seated right & it vibrates my discus seem a bit stressed. But they also don't like the filters off at water changes either, they almost sigh with relief when the water level gets high enough for the flow to start again. But I don't unplug the filters, maybe it's really the vibration vs the flow...

k3vinjam3s
05-01-2011, 08:40 AM
mine at first didnt like the noise my sponge filter made but soon adjusted. its like when i first got them they werent used to the flow created by my external filter but now they seem fine with it.

m1nh0h
05-02-2011, 06:38 PM
how do u slip on the impeller securely? it just seems like u just stick it through the shaft and it pulls it down using the magnetic force. do u have to force it down more?

fishorama
05-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Sometimes you do have use a bit o' muscle, may the force be with you...more of a sense of "feel" with some impellors. Gentle at first, then shove it where it needs to go, lol.

discuspaul
05-02-2011, 09:44 PM
I've noticed a couple times after filter cleaning if I don't get the impeller seated right & it vibrates my discus seem a bit stressed. But they also don't like the filters off at water changes either, they almost sigh with relief when the water level gets high enough for the flow to start again. But I don't unplug the filters, maybe it's really the vibration vs the flow...

Your comment about the discus not liking the filters off, and almost sighing with relief when the filters re-start, is right on !
I get exactly the same feeling about their reaction after WCs.