PDA

View Full Version : set-up

christian1971
04-29-2011, 09:43 PM
My eventual set-up: I am planning to set up my 75 gal aquarium (as suggested) in my basement. It is an unfinished basement with cement flooring. So I am not worried about water spilling over. The room I will be using is kind of like a walk in closet or canning room.
I would like to use a couple Emperor Powerfilters instead of canister filters. Easier to clean on a daily basis. Will have two large brute rubber barrels for water. One for water storage and the other for water that is being tossed. I am still undediced on a heater. Probably a titanium heater. Not sure which size is best. Thinking of getting one that is 500 watt. That way it won't be pushed to its maximum. I have a reverse osmosis system near the laundry. Would I need to replace the filters if they haven't been used in at least 5 years? When I did use them it was only a few times. We do have very hard water in Minnesota. It is city water. We have a water softener, but haven't used it in a while. It does work. The filter for the ro system is still nice and white. Does that mean it is still good? The room downstairs does reach the low 50's in winter. Thanks

Eddie
04-29-2011, 09:48 PM
2 ea 300 watt eheim jagers

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Skip
04-29-2011, 09:52 PM
why use RO water?

christian1971
04-29-2011, 10:26 PM
I thought from reading that ro/di water was a very good thing. I have not checked our water hardness yet, but I know it is very hard. I can tell by the calcium on our faucets and stuff. Is there a reliable test to check for water hardness? Why is ro/di water not necessary?

Eddie
04-29-2011, 10:29 PM
I thought from reading that ro/di water was a very good thing. I have not checked our water hardness yet, but I know it is very hard. I can tell by the calcium on our faucets and stuff. Is there a reliable test to check for water hardness? Why is ro/di water not necessary?

Not unless you are keeping wilds, to mimic their natural water or trying to breed.

christian1971
04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
If my water is extremely hard, do I need to lower the hardness? If so with what? I will not be keeping wild discus.

Eddie
04-29-2011, 10:38 PM
If my water is extremely hard, do I need to lower the hardness? If so with what? I will not be keeping wild discus.

What is extremely hard? What's your ph? What does your ph do after 24 hours of aeration?

christian1971
04-29-2011, 10:39 PM
I will need to do some homework on that.

Eddie
04-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Knowing everything about your water is the most important aspect in keeping discus. Some water sources can even contain toxins that you may never realize. It will only be after constant issues of disease/health, that people turn to their water. It should be the very first thing!

ericatdallas
04-30-2011, 12:04 AM
I will need to do some homework on that.

Yeah, if you don't even know what your parameters are, then you might be wasting time and money filtering. For all you know, you could have the 'ideal' water for even wild discus.

Have you checked out your local fish club? They can answer a lot of questions for you regarding local water, sources, etc. I think Turq64 and JamesP are from/near Minnesota.

Also, I would buy a spare heater. You don't have to plug it in, but it's sure nice to have if your heater fails (assuming it fails to turn on rather than off) since you live in a cold region.