PDA

View Full Version : Filter and water changes

christian1971
04-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Sorry for all these questions. Even with reading, I end up with more questions. If I have a 75 gal aquarium, doing a daily 50% water change, will one rather than two Emperor 400 Filter be good? Or will two make things dramatically better for the fish.

zchauvin
04-30-2011, 03:07 PM
I dont see why not. 37.5g everyday of new water and one filter should be plenty.

strawberryblonde
04-30-2011, 03:07 PM
More filtration is always better, and it's good to add a hydro sponge filter inside the tank as well. Use a battery backup air pump for the hydro sponge and that way you have insurance should your power ever go out.

SB

zchauvin
04-30-2011, 03:11 PM
More filtration is always better, and it's good to add a hydro sponge filter inside the tank as well. Use a battery backup air pump for the hydro sponge and that way you have insurance should your power ever go out.

SB

Wouldn't two filters rated for 80g be overkill on a 75? JW not questioning you :) And christian why are you not getting a canister ??

Eddie
04-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Yes, that is fine. You don't want to confuse water filtration with overall water quality. Having tons of of filtration is actually useless if you are not replacing water. The end product of nitrification is poor water.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk