PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Perth Western Australia

littlemary
05-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi, Im Maryann & am really wanting to start up a planted Discus Tank, Im currently reading all the info on this site but would love a step by step simple list on the main things I need to do to set up a tank (plant types that suit discus) obviously before I get the fish. My husband has some Tropheus in a tank that will be my discus tank its 4ft Long x 1.8 width x 2ft high, is this a good size for Discus and once the Tropheus are out of this tank what do I have to do to get the water right? Would I be better to empty the tank completely, cleaning it and starting from scratch, appreciate any comments.
Kind Regards,
littlemary :angel:

ericatdallas
05-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi, Im Maryann & am really wanting to start up a planted Discus Tank, Im currently reading all the info on this site but would love a step by step simple list on the main things I need to do to set up a tank

How-do-I-set-up-my-first-discus-tank (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?28937-How-do-I-set-up-my-first-discus-tank)

(plant types that suit discus) obviously before I get the fish.

These-plants-have-worked-for-me-in-a-discus-tank...-(photos) (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?59346-These-plants-have-worked-for-me-in-a-discus-tank...-(photos))

Plants-For-A-Discus-Tank (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?30952-Plants-For-A-Discus-Tank)

My husband has some Tropheus in a tank that will be my discus tank its 4ft Long x 1.8 width x 2ft high, is this a good size for Discus and once the Tropheus are out of this tank what do I have to do to get the water right? Would I be better to empty the tank completely, cleaning it and starting from scratch, appreciate any comments.
Kind Regards,
littlemary :angel:

Welcome. Read the FAQs listed in the respective forums and you'll be off to a good start. The tank is a good size.

two utes
05-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus Maryan. Always good to have another ozzie on board. Take your time and have a good look around here, as there is lots of good information. If you are starting with young discus l highly reccommend that you grow them out in a bare bottom tank (no plants, nor gravel). Lots of water changes and feeding will see them grow well. Then you might transfer them into the planted tank.
Good luck with you quest.

Skip
05-02-2011, 06:48 PM
welcome :)

Second Hand Pat
05-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Hello Maryann, nice to have another gal on the forum.

littlemary
05-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks Eric, everyone is so helpful and I am looking forward to reading heaps, learning alot more and then starting up, can't wait to get into it. Cheers Maryann

littlemary
05-03-2011, 10:06 AM
I love that saying! Maryann

littlemary
05-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Thank you for the tips, I was thinking of buying them young and growing them up, great that you let me know to leave the tank bare to start with, really appreciate yours and everyone elses knowledge, so nice that you all share the info. Cheers Maryann

littlemary
05-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi Second Hand Pat, thanks for the welcome, go the girls!!! and the guys of course, afterall if it wasn't for my husband who is crazy about Tropheus I probably wouldn't of got onto thinking about starting a tank of my own, can't wait to start my discus tank but will take the time to learn first. Cheers Maryann

littlemary
05-04-2011, 05:47 AM
oh geeeez i didn't realise until I had replied back that I have posted 4 times
when I could of put it all into one reply thread
now I get it! Just another big thank you to all for your tips and info
littlemary