PDA

View Full Version : Time is coming: RO System set up

pepetj
05-03-2011, 01:13 AM
Time is finally coming for my Aquatic Plant Home Nursery & Fish Room.

So far I have in its box a 35GPD Seachem's Pinnacle RO unit. I'm looking to purchase at least one more. I have no clear idea what it takes to set this up.

I'm kind of re-experiencing what I felt when getting ready for SW or Discus keeping. At one moment I felt I got the concepts right and then one question after another pops into my head and I'm getting lost here.

Facts:
1) I cannot trust the quality of the water serviced by the City. At one point "they forget" to add chlorine/chloramines and pathogens bloom while at others they OD with chemicals the water.

2) At least in the place I've been living for the past 9 years tap water has caused issues in my fish tanks so I've been purchasing a lot of 5gal RO processed drinking water for all my tanks. Water pressure in my actual place is not only low but variable (I mean noticeably) and for those reasons I decided to use my already purchased 35GPD RO unit in my new place.

3) We likely have 4 to 6 weeks time to work around to at least start my set up so I'm counting on your help.

Targets:
1) I would like to have at least a semi-automatic system to fill the reservoirs with RO water (I don't want DI based on what I understand so far but educate me and I may change my mind). I might go for automated WC later on (either continuous or not) but I want to do this one step at a time (meaning RO hook up to fill reservoirs)

2) I like using redundant systems and prefer to run with several low/mid pressure (say 35-100GPD) than high pressure (150+GPD). For some reason (maybe just subjective stuff) I feel comfortable that way.

3) I am a bit concerned on keeping the stored RO water pathogen free so I'm thinking of in-reservoir-tank UVC sterilization.

Budget may not be a problem per se but I see no need to overspend or to do everything at once (I kind of like the "work in progress" inherent to this hobby). I would like to keep this reasonable.

I know there are questions I haven't made yet so... help me out guys.

Sketch with dimensions:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk3/pepe1965/RO%20and%20Lab%20Room/ROLabTopViewwdimensions.jpg

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Discus Origins
05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Wow....well I can tell you I've never had any system that advanced. My advice, go with RO/DI system...the RO membrane will last longer and you will get purer product water. Go with between 100-150gpd systems, normal tap pressure will run just as efficiently between a 30 to 150 gpd unit. Once you start going higher than that you'll need a in-line pressurizer. I keep my product water in several 55 gallon drums and go through all of them in WCs within 2 days. If you are doing scheduled water changes you shouldn't have to worry about contaminents unless keeping the water outdoors.

Good luck with this and hope to see updates of the system.

Buckeye Field Supply
07-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Go with between 100-150gpd systems, normal tap pressure will run just as efficiently between a 30 to 150 gpd unit. Once you start going higher than that you'll need a in-line pressurizer.

Let me clarify that a bit:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/BuckeyeFS/ROMembraneFactorySpecs-1.jpg

You may or may not need a booster pump to run a system with any of these membranes - check your home's water pressure.

Russ