PDA

View Full Version : Swimming downwards? Help!!!!

novice breeder
05-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Can anyone help me with this problem? I have an old (7.5 yrs) female and i recently changed the water suddenly. As a result she is swimming irregular, her head is facing downwards and tail is raised upwards. She is eating and color is good but showing stress bars. She is alone in a 24"x18"x18" breeding tank. Is there a way to fix her condition?

jpdevol
05-03-2011, 11:42 PM
There is a slight chance of "Micro bubbles" resulting from the water change. You can also safely dose 1level teaspoon per gallon of Epsom Salt in case it is a bloat issue - will do no harm. Micro bubbles should subside by morning.

novice breeder
05-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Well no change in swimming. Not seeing any forms of bloating. Any other suggestions? Can fish have strokes like humans?

wendy9722
05-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Well no change in swimming. Not seeing any forms of bloating. Any other suggestions? Can fish have strokes like humans?

I'd still try the epsom salt.

jpdevol
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
I suppose fish can have strokes and lose autonomic function. I've seen it happen and heal in case of bruising the brain from darting; usually they swim at a lateral angle or sideways. Your description seems to point to an inability to empty the air bladder (too much buoyancy). Typical treatment is to add Methelyne Blue (.5ml/gal) and Salt @ 1Tbs /10gal in a QT (kills bio in main tank) and lower the temp gradually to 79-80.

flyman767
05-05-2011, 10:33 AM
The majority of cases of problems that exist after a water change are almost always water related. If you are on city water..what type of dechlorinator are you using? Have you checked your chlorine/chlorimines ppm? if your on a well..what about iron/metals?

Eddie
05-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Could be swim bladder and hard to treat. Some success with Kanamycin. Can you get a video?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

novice breeder
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't have a measurement for (.5ml/gal) can you suggest a tbs or teaspoon measurement. Also the salt you are suggestion is iodized kitchen salt or sea salt? Thanks in advance..

jpdevol
05-12-2011, 08:31 PM
It has been a week since condition was posted. What has been happening in the interim (meds. behavior)???

.5ml/gal is 1teaspoon per 10 gallons. Salt is non-iodide sea salt. However if organs are invloved iodide salt actually is OK and beneficial. At this stage it may be best to go to Kanamycin at 400mg/gal for 48hrs, then 200mg/gal for 72hrs.

novice breeder
05-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Well no change so far. Still eating but swimming position same. Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks alot for your help. What is the hype about iodized and non iodized salt?