PDA

View Full Version : Royal versus Semi-Royal?

ericatdallas
05-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Anyone willing to explain to me the difference?

Thanks,
Eric

ericatdallas
05-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Nevermind, found it... just didn't dig hard enough :)

http://www.aquatechnics.net/wilddiscus.htm

William Palumbo
05-03-2011, 06:58 PM
The word "Royal" has two meanings when it comes to Green and Blue Discus. Royal Greens are fully spotted...Royal Blues are fully striated...Bill

ericatdallas
05-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Do "non-royals" have Royal progeny? Do Royal Discus have "non-royal" (commoner?) progeny? Do either have variations of all three?

Jhhnn
05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Do "non-royals" have Royal progeny? Do Royal Discus have "non-royal" (commoner?) progeny? Do either have variations of all three?

As I understand it, fully royal wild discus are a small minority in their local population, which will vary by degrees from royal to semi royal to pretty plain. Some locales have more royal & semi royal individuals than others. It takes generations of selective breeding to achieve a royal variety that'll breed true at all. Plainer wild parents will throw some royal offspring, apparently, if likely at a lower rate than two royal wild parents. W/o selective breeding, the population will tend to maintain it's genetic diversity- some royal, some semi, and some plain...

William Palumbo
05-03-2011, 09:24 PM
As I understand it, fully royal wild discus are a small minority in their local population, which will vary by degrees from royal to semi royal to pretty plain. Some locales have more royal & semi royal individuals than others. It takes generations of selective breeding to achieve a royal variety that'll breed true at all. Plainer wild parents will throw some royal offspring, apparently, if likely at a lower rate than two royal wild parents. W/o selective breeding, the population will tend to maintain it's genetic diversity- some royal, some semi, and some plain...
+1 as I understand it as well. Is why Discus with the heading of "Royal" always costs more, semi-royal next in price...Bill