PDA

View Full Version : How to price rare fish? Etroplus canarensis (wild)

ericatdallas
05-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I found someone selling Etroplus canarensis and apparently it's rare. I can't find anyone selling wild caught, but F1s sell for $20-25 in the US. I found some places selling F1s in Europe for E17-20 (so about the same).

I know for rare items it's how bad you want them, but what do you think? Should I pay more for wilds than F1s? The seller is acting for twice as much for wild than F1.

Discus Origins
05-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Are they same size or the F1s juvenile?

ericatdallas
05-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I forgot to ask... I did find the same seller with an older ad 5 years ago selling them for $26. So I'll probably make him an offer.. obviously more than $26 with the increased price of gas and inflation. Accounting for gas and inflation, the price should be about $32-35. Also taking into account that was 5 years ago and people have managed to breed them locally and more people have them now than then... I think < $40 is a fair asking price. I'll have to see what size they are though.

I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $45/fish though if they're the same size as the F1s or the other F0s though given the new information.

I probably should stick with Discus though. If I get spawn, there's a larger market for it. Although I think it would be neat to have something so unique that few people own.