PDA

View Full Version : 55 g planted holding/breeding tank

Rlon36dr
05-05-2011, 11:03 AM
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=538f4f1062&view=att&th=12fc09c21561d67d&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zw

Hey there. Let's see if this picture works. I just moved, and I now have 3 tanks, awaiting a fourth (75 to come, 55g, Fluval Edge, and a fish pod with a betta and bamboo). The tank I set up in my closet is a 55 g planted discus tank. I have three blue diamond discus (hiding behind the sword), and I just replanted the tank. The tank has a Korelia pump, mild flow and angled towards the surface, as well as a Fluval 305. I am going to use this tank as a holding/breeding tank, but I needed to save my plants in the move, so I went with a triangle scape to try something different and to provide some swimming space. I plan to take out the Fluval and go with sponge filters. I don't know if I'll leave the power head in there, as I don't know if the fan will kill fry...by sucking them in.

Anyway, I am a little light on the substrate in the tank, after the move. I will be buying eco complete for my nano and other new tank. It truly was a grueling process, moving. I put the 55 in the closet because I am soon to order a 75 gallon tank (would have gone larger but can't due to the board rules) that will be setup up as planted discus tank, high tech, with these 3 diamonds and 3 blue turqs, along with a large school of cardinals and a cleanup crew. At any rate, I appreciate any and all feedback. My wifey is giving me some attitude about my plans...

Northwoods Discus
05-05-2011, 02:25 PM
It would be nice if you had a typo and your wife was giving you latitude and not attitude. Breeding tanks should be bare bottom and not have strong circulation. excess current can decrease hatch rates due to sperm disseminating instead of concentrating in the area of the eggs. A 55 might be a little large also for fry attachment. Smaller tank say 20-29 gal will concentrate fry nearer the parents to help with attachment. Good luck with the wife.
Bill

Rlon36dr
05-06-2011, 08:13 AM
It would be nice if you had a typo and your wife was giving you latitude and not attitude. Breeding tanks should be bare bottom and not have strong circulation. excess current can decrease hatch rates due to sperm disseminating instead of concentrating in the area of the eggs. A 55 might be a little large also for fry attachment. Smaller tank say 20-29 gal will concentrate fry nearer the parents to help with attachment. Good luck with the wife.
Bill^^^^^^^^

Hey Bill, thanks for the reply. I was planning to use the tank to hold and examine my new discus for a while. The breeding would come in later, with cherry shrimp, angelfish and celestial pearl danios. I really don't know what I'll do if the discus breed, as that is for display and I have never bred discus before ;)