PDA

View Full Version : 80 watts

zchauvin
05-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Hello all I am making DIY canopy with 4 20w halogen spot lights to try and mimic light coming into trees for my wilds biotope. Question is, is 80w enough light to grow floating plants, anubias, and a few dwarf crypts in a 20" tall 75 gallon tank. Also pfs of #20 size is the substrate. Thanks

russren
05-05-2011, 11:42 PM
the wattage is borderline, but should be enough, just make sure the kelvin temperature is right. I always shoot for 6500K. A little highr or lower will work. If you are using light pucks, they can be very focused light. just make sure you get enough spread to get light to everything. I would feel better about 100 tp 120 watts for that tank and those plants.

Darrell Ward
05-06-2011, 10:24 PM
You probably won't be interested, but you would be far better off to use one, 70 watt, 6500K double ended MH, hung above the tank. The cost for your tank would be around $120, but way more effective, and will give the shimmer you want. The light dances all around. I used two of these on my 240 gal, which is 30", and I couldn't be happier. My floating plants grow like crazy, and my wild grow outs are much more active as well, since I changed from CF to these.

zchauvin
05-06-2011, 10:51 PM
You probably won't be interested, but you would be far better off to use one, 70 watt, 6500K double ended MH, hung above the tank. The cost for your tank would be around $120, but way more effective, and will give the shimmer you want. The light dances all around. I used two of these on my 240 gal, which is 30", and I couldn't be happier. My floating plants grow like crazy, and my wild grow outs are much more active as well, since I changed from CF to these.

I like your idea and am thinking about it but the thing I'm trying to achieve is the look of light coming through trees, I want to keep it darker but still visible of course. its probably hard to picture but I don't want the bright aquascaping feel.

ericatdallas
05-06-2011, 10:52 PM
I know floating plants are probably fine, but not sure about anubias or dwarf crypts.

Also not too sure about halogens either. Why don't you check with Aquatic Plant Central?

Darrell Ward
05-07-2011, 12:04 AM
I like your idea and am thinking about it but the thing I'm trying to achieve is the look of light coming through trees, I want to keep it darker but still visible of course. its probably hard to picture but I don't want the bright aquascaping feel.

I know what you're saying, but you can control the shadows by the height of the light, water movement, and the amount of surface plants. My tank is really not bright. Wild fish don't hide at all. It really is a low light tank. There are many shadows and light movements going on that I can't capture because camera skills suck. I'm doubtful that the lighting you're thinking about will work for plants in there. As an experiment, I took some floaters from this tank, and put them in a 150 gal. with 80 watts of standard lighting, (2 tubes), and they turned yellow in 2 days.

strawberryblonde
05-07-2011, 03:38 AM
That's a gorgeous tank Darrell!

I'm pretty sure the anubias and crypts would grow in your 75 with the 80 watt spots. I'm growing them in a tall 54g tank (30") with only a 24w T5 and a 15w T8. Also growing an amazon sword and 2 ruby red swords without any problems. I had cabomba in there, but put it in another tank because, though it grew well, it was a pain when it got tangled during cleanings.

Rlon36dr
05-07-2011, 08:26 AM
That's a gorgeous tank Darrell!

I'm pretty sure the anubias and crypts would grow in your 75 with the 80 watt spots. I'm growing them in a tall 54g tank (30") with only a 24w T5 and a 15w T8. Also growing an amazon sword and 2 ruby red swords without any problems. I had cabomba in there, but put it in another tank because, though it grew well, it was a pain when it got tangled during cleanings.^^^^^^^^

Cabomba needs medium light, at least. Those other plants will be fine under that lighting, though you want kelvin levels within the 6000s.

strawberryblonde
05-07-2011, 09:30 AM
I have read that cabomba needs medium light, but my experience says that they will thrive in less than 1w per gal.

Skip
05-07-2011, 09:36 AM
80watts 81watts.. whatever it takes :)

zchauvin
05-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the replies guys I will see what happens and update when tank is ready will be finishing today. Except for the manzanita Im waiting on from pc1