PDA

View Full Version : To Keep the Strain or Not. That is the question..??

Skip
05-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Do you breed discus...

to continue on the line of the strain (pure breed).. or whatever inter-Fi-cial pairs up (mutts)..

i see lots of pairs being "BREED" but are not the same strain..

i just wonder why?? you breed the way you do... what is the ultimate goal you seek in breeding your fish?

seanyuki
05-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Only breed to better the strain...............or AG X RGD that's a different story & may have nice outcome.

Eddie
05-07-2011, 10:02 PM
All fish will breed. Its mainly newbies who are just letting any strain breed without thought of a goal.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Scott293
05-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Eddie,

What did you do with your first? People are smart enough to know a pure bred is worth more than a mutt. So what are you trying to say to newbies? Are you taking it upon yourself to control every ones fish tanks?

Skip
05-07-2011, 11:20 PM
scott.. i asked why breed... ? newbies like me get excited if you have a pair by accident.. but my question what is a persons ultimate goal for breeding.. you need to have an idea of what you want to do.. IF you want to continue to breed your fish.. its not easy..

kent1963
05-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I would only intentionally breed in an attempt to better my fish, however I have mixed tanks and if someone pairs and lays viable eggs I would raise them regardless of the mix.

cjr8420
05-08-2011, 01:23 AM
i dont breed but from wat ive seen unless ur fish are f0s/wild ur dealing with a mutt discus. discus = money,new strain/ deformity = more money ie. pidgeon or bulldog discus. so constant crossing = more money atleast for the big farms .otherwise smaller hobbyist do it for fun and doesnt matter as long as they have a pair they enjoy it.i hope to breed in the future but im not there yet but when i do any pair will make me happy.as far as why its a hobby which should be for fun.its weird s.american cics getting crossbred like crazy african cics its very frowned upon

Eddie
05-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Eddie,

What did you do with your first? People are smart enough to know a pure bred is worth more than a mutt. So what are you trying to say to newbies? Are you taking it upon yourself to control every ones fish tanks?

My first were a great mix, blue scorpion and blue turquoise. ;)

The issue here is that people buy all sorts of colors not thinking about the fish breeding. You can't prevent it, it's gonna happen.

And I don't actually see where I could be controlling anything. ;)

The hobbyist can control what fish they get. Its important for hobbyist to realize that their fish will breed no matter what, it's natural. It would make sense to keep compatible strains/types together. But to each their own.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0
05-08-2011, 08:10 AM
but my question what is a persons ultimate goal for breeding.. you need to have an idea of what you want to do.. IF you want to continue to breed your fish.. its not easy..

For the love of the fish. It adds another level of appreciation to the hobbiest.

i see lots of pairs being "BREED" but are not the same strain..

i just wonder why?? you breed the way you do... what is the ultimate goal you seek in breeding your fish?

or whatever inter-Fi-cial pairs up (mutts)..

Skip, unless you have nothing but wilds, every fish in your tank by your definition can be or was at one time a "mutt". ;)

Now, to answer your question. Peronally I breed the way I do for several reasons. After doing some research here, I determined that unless your name is Tito, your not going to make any money as a hobbiest breeder. Therefore, I thought for me personally, to add to the enjoyment, it would be nice to try to develope something new and unique, even if it takes several generations to do so. Genetics has always intrigued me, and playing around with different cross's lets me see things for myself, rather than reading about it. I also choose to work with mainly albino x non-albino cross's, as this will give me more options in the second generations.

Rick

Keith Perkins
05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Can I vote for none of the above? I started off with a mix of different discus in a nice community tank not really planning to raise fry. My first pair was a blue diamond male and a red turq female...two days later I discovered I had a pair of marlboros too. I also later found I had a BSS female with no mate. Knowing my initial pairing didn't throw recognized strains I started looking at options. Ultimately I ended up buying a male RT and moving the male BD in with the female BSS. The new crossed pairing doesn't produce a pure strain, but it throws a nice mixture of turqs, scorpions, and BDs.

Intentionally crosses strains is a whole lot different than watching and allowing say a RT and PB to constantly spawn.

Scott293
05-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Well I have a new unexpected pair. A blue diamond and a white. I think they are to small to be laying and was told once a female lays she is done growing. I am also affraid that the fry will genetically grow to be small discus. I am having thoughts of starting all over with these. I surely didn't think these fish were adults at 3.5".

Anyway as far as my vote on why I breed, is to make some cash to pay for this expensive time consuming hobby of mine. As far as crossing, I have found nothing yet that tells what you get when you cross a White with a Blue for instance. I supposed these are guarded fish farm secrets. So if that is the case I must find out on my own. I really don't have an interest in trying to develop a new strain as there are so many out there now, it's strains gone crazy and can't even keep track. There are so many it's pretty much pick what you like and go with it.

John_Nicholson
05-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Normally crossing should be avoided. Gots lots of other stuff I could add but I am just not in the mood.

-john

mrblah00
05-08-2011, 06:20 PM
I just wanted to raise some fry for the experience. In the future i will be trying to work with specific strains.
Sam

Northwoods Discus
05-09-2011, 02:13 PM
For me it was just having discus at first. No intention of breeding. Then you get a pair breeding in the community tank and try a setup for fun. Then you need more tanks for growout, then aging barrels etc etc until before you know it you have a fish room. Then you get a strain you like. Try to acquire stock and it snowballs. Now if you enjoy it even with the hours of work it requires then it is worth it. If not you quit or down size. It is an evolutionary thing. My favorite is spotted fish which I am working on now. Just like dogs seems like the mutts can breed without much effort. It is the ones you really want that are tough.

Bill

Skip
05-09-2011, 11:35 PM
interesting points. thanks ya'll!

MostlyDiscus
05-10-2011, 08:54 AM
I try to avoid PBs altogether. Very hard to breed them back without getting alot of peppering. Most of us have a hard time getting good or show quality type discus. I would be intrested in a poll of breeders that have true strains. Back in the day Jack Wattley pointed this out often and with good reason. It would be idea for breeders if the sellers would notate which are strains and which are crosses. For those of you out there that breed just for the exp of doing it Bless you. You are the backbone of the discus world.

Ed