PDA

View Full Version : DIY hood with spot lights.

zchauvin
05-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Hey everyone this would prob be better off in another section but figured I would get good answers here being I am doing a biotope.. I finally finished my stand for my 75 set it up with 2 eheim canisters, a 2213 and ecco pro 3 80g. Have two 250w heaters, 50lbs pfs and some rocks. Waiting on my dw from pc1( great pieces IMO). The tank will have 6-8 wild blues. I am stuck on the lighting though, I will be making DIY hood also and have 80w of undercounter spot lights. My plans are to place them under hood and wire all together then come out of hood with a dimmer switch. This way I can get the natural look or brighten things up when needed. It will be a standard hood with grooves along the sides to slide a piece of plexi glass into to shield lights from water vapors. Does anybody have any suggestions or thoughts. I am worried that it might have to much heat. 1 spot light is a halogen 20w and the other three are xenon. They are made to go under a cabinet in kitch ect.. to add some decorative look. Will this work or should I get something else, my design is based off of a tank here where hidealite system was used but I am in U.S and cannot find it?? Any thoughts or help would be great thanks.

Second Hand Pat
05-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Maybe mount a fan in the hood. I will be curious on how this turns out and would love some pictures as you progress.

zchauvin
05-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Maybe mount a fan in the hood. I will be curious on how this turns out and would love some pictures as you progress.

I thought about venting the right side and mounting small fan on left to blow air through the hood. Just trying to get a few ideas ahead of time I should be starting hood tomorrow and have to add some crown to my stand. How do you think it came out pat?

Second Hand Pat
05-08-2011, 10:34 PM
By adding crown you mean height? How much ventilation are you considering? Maybe leaving the back open. I had a hood made for my 180 to house MH which generate lots of heat and added two fans and left the back open. I however have no idea how much heat your setup might generate.

zchauvin
05-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Crown is like crown molding. To add decor to the edges. I will be leaving back open so that all wires and pump hosing can hang over edge. As for venting, probably just an air vent type of thing and small fan like that found on biocube.

Second Hand Pat
05-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Can you test your lights for heat? or maybe consider the option of adding a second fan if needed.

zchauvin
05-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Ehh probably not test but may add a second fan. Will keep posted.

zchauvin
05-09-2011, 10:07 PM

Second Hand Pat
05-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Nice job, everything is nice and level.

zchauvin
05-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Nice job, everything is nice and level.

Yeah but as I look now the door on canopy is a little bit off, lol I just measured and its 1 15/16" on one side 2 1/16" on the other :) will adjust today lol

zchauvin
05-15-2011, 04:35 PM

Hood installed and blue lights on, and regular lights. Note the sword has been romoved and the two large pieces of rock on the far left. Large manzanita dw is going in tank also and replacing current lighting with marineland double led strip

Second Hand Pat
05-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Awaiting the replacement lighting.

Apistomaster
05-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Check out the 6400K T2 lighting systems and Super High Output Compact fluorescent screw in base lamps these guys sell. I just found out about them last week and am considering future replacement of most of my multiple tanks set ups with their T2 fluorescent systems.
http://americanaquariumproducts.com/PowerCompact.html
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquariumbulb.html#top

zchauvin
05-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Got my strip in today and I really like the look