PDA

View Full Version : Ogon Yellow Fry For Sale

BOBT00LS
05-09-2011, 10:00 PM
We have 1.5"+ Ogon Yellow Fry available at $15.00 each. They are healthy, active,growing nicely, and eating a variety of foods. Local pick up only at this time in Woodbridge,NJ. Get in touch if your interested.

Bob

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/BOBT00LS/5-9-11002.jpg

Hsunami
05-09-2011, 10:24 PM
wow. . . .let me know when you decide to start shipping!

wendy9722
05-09-2011, 11:37 PM
wow. . . .let me know when you decide to start shipping!

+1

ericatdallas
05-09-2011, 11:41 PM
+2

Melissa
05-10-2011, 03:05 AM
Ohhh la la! Lovely little fry you've got there!

Scott293
05-10-2011, 06:32 AM
+3

TURQ64
05-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Nice looking youngsters, Bob!..Too far from me, however. Good luck, Gary

BOBT00LS
05-10-2011, 02:50 PM
We have shipped before without any problems but my biggest problem with it is locating the styrofoam shipping boxes. If there was aplace I could acquire them locally in different sizes, then our shipping lanes would be open.

Bob

Hsunami
05-10-2011, 02:56 PM
someone tell bob somewhere he can pick up them styrofoam shipping boxes!!! LOL I wantz of these fry

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 03:25 PM
We have shipped before without any problems but my biggest problem with it is locating the styrofoam shipping boxes. If there was aplace I could acquire them locally in different sizes, then our shipping lanes would be open.

Bob

You can buy styrofoam sheets from Home Depots and make your own. You can also get styrofoam boxes from the pharmacy. Some times they have it... you might also think to ask the grocery store (there meat/seafood/etc must be packed somewhere).

If that all fails, you can do styrofoam coolers.

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Found a thread on Aquaria Central on DIY shipping boxes (using the sheets from Home Depot or Lowes).

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?230487-DIY-Fish-Shipping-Container-A-Photo-Journal&

Hsunami
05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
woot i smell shipping soon. LOL

roclement
05-10-2011, 03:41 PM
OK...so what is a reasonable minimmum purchase request for shipping? If we say you must order at least $150 worth of fish plus shipping costs, how many here would go for it? Honest question folks.

Rodrigo

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 03:42 PM
OK...so what is a reasonable minimmum purchase request for shipping? If we say you must order at least $150 worth of fish plus shipping costs, how many here would go for it? Honest question folks.

Rodrigo

LOL, I already told him I would buy 15, maybe more if the shipping isn't crushingly expensive.

Hsunami
05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
not sure if everyone wants to buy 10 fry. . . . i know i don't, i just want a couple.

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 03:44 PM
not sure if everyone wants to buy 10 fry. . . . i know i don't, i just want a couple.

Not sure it would make sense after shipping and handling... I might be able to make a larger order because I'm sure Scott293 might want to go in it with me.

Hsunami
05-10-2011, 03:52 PM
personally i wouldn't mind if the shipping cost more than the fish. Rather get quality fish. Made my mistake in the past don't want to do it again.

roclement
05-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Eric that makes sense but you all understand the problem with shipping for a hobbyist breeder, we do not have a UPS account that gives discounted rates like the large guys do, so if I ship say...4 fish to Texas, the buyer would pay $60 in fish and another $100 for shipping! Now your great deal on a Ogon Yellow just became $40 per fish!
Now for say 10 fish for pretty much the same $100 shipping, you are still doing great at $25 per fish!

Rodrigo

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Eric that makes sense but you all understand the problem with shipping for a hobbyist breeder, we do not have a UPS account that gives discounted rates like the large guys do, so if I ship say...4 fish to Texas, the buyer would pay $60 in fish and another $100 for shipping! Now your great deal on a Ogon Yellow just became $40 per fish!
Now for say 10 fish for pretty much the same $100 shipping, you are still doing great at $25 per fish!

Rodrigo

No, I'm aware of that... Did you mean to address that to Hsunami? If I buy $225 ($15x15) fish and shipping is $100 though, that's $325/15 ~= $21.67.

I did look up USPS overnight rates,... I don't know the rules or if there's additional charge for live shipping, but it seems sub-$100 for overnight.

But yeah, that's what I was saying, it doesn't make sense for a few fish...

Lenin
05-10-2011, 04:10 PM
For me it makes sense if skip also wants some, if someone else from the Austin, TX area also, any takers?

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Rod, do you and Bob sell fish together? I just read another thread that you had Ogon's and Ica Reds and you were both in NJ. Or do you just happen to have Ogon's as well?

Lenin
05-10-2011, 04:24 PM
I think one has the pairs and the other one raises them, I think it's genius.

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 04:25 PM

That's pretty good :) What are you charging for your Ica Reds? If you're shipping, I would want to piggy back those on to the order.

-Eric

nc0gnet0
05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Too bad users aren't concentrated enough in certain locations where you could ship 50+ to one location and then 5-10 people could drive to that location for pickup. If anyone could ever solve the shipping dilema it would change things for hobbiest breeders dramatically......

Rick

Hsunami
05-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Too bad users aren't concentrated enough in certain locations where you could ship 50+ to one location and then 5-10 people could drive to that location for pickup. If anyone could ever solve the shipping dilema it would change things for hobbiest breeders dramatically......

Rick

That would be nice. . . so who in So Cali wants to get some OGON YELLOW FRY!!! LOL

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Rick

Well, with gas prices the way they are, it almost makes sense to have things shipped sometimes. The dilemma you speak of is why there are stores ;) I think the reason stores are going away is because shipping is pretty cheap nowadays (relative to driving) and pretty reliable.

I'm looking to buy some BNPs and the cost of shipping is $15 but the cost in gas is $12.50 for a 30-minute round trip (for me). No brainer. The fish are $20 for 10 while the LFS charges anywhere from $4-5/fish. Even at $3/fish, without driving, I'm looking at around breakeven just to drive to the LFS (which doesn't usually have the fish I'm looking for anyway and when they do, they're of questionable health).

If you go by wear-and-tear and use the IRS rate, it's like 0.50+ cents per mile. If I drive to a the closest breeder south of me, it costs me $35 in gas and if I drive the the closest one north of me or to Mike Beals it's $20-25. You also save the time in actually having to drive which to me is worth at least $10/hr. So anything less than $50 I don't even worry about.

Now, if it's $100 then I'll actually have to think about it in several angles and include that into the price of the fish.

roclement
05-10-2011, 05:30 PM

I tought so as well! :) Bob handles the sales.

All Ica's are sold, will keep posted on the next batch.

Rodrigo

Scott293
05-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Bob

Bob, The easy way is like Eric says. Just purchase a 1" thick sheet from home depot and line the inside of a cardboard box with it. Cutting the Styrofoam sheet is a bit messy with a steak knife which is what I use. You'll end up with little styrofoam balls all full of static electricity stuck to you. Someone may have a good idea for how to cut the sheet. It's easy to cut with a steak knife or utility knife, just messy.

Cambik
05-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Hmm very tempting to get in on it lenver. But unless you want to hold them while I cycle the 20 gallon tank I just picked up today I wouldn't have anywhere to put them.

Stephen

Lenin
05-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I'll hold them not a problem, I want six.

I have reds, blues all I need are yellows

Cambik
05-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Skip what about you?

Stephen

Skip
05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Hmm very tempting to get in on it lenver. But unless you want to hold them while I cycle the 20 gallon tank I just picked up today I wouldn't have anywhere to put them.

Stephen

I'll hold them not a problem, I want six.

I have reds, blues all I need are yellows

HELLO!!! don't forget about me :)

Cambik
05-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Ok well then I would get 6 as well.

Stephen

Skip
05-10-2011, 09:26 PM
wait.>?! what are we talking about :)

ogon yellows?! really?! hmmmmmmmm

Lenin
05-10-2011, 09:39 PM
wait.>?! what are we talking about :)

ogon yellows?! really?! hmmmmmmmm

LOL

BOBT00LS
05-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Wow everyone is making plans when Rod and I havent decided to ship yet or not. We have been doing this for awhile now and all of are fry go quick locally. The majority of the yellows just went tonight to one buyer who came by and I need to take a count to see just how many are left. For those of you who arent aware of how this all works with Rod and Myself, here is how it goes. The two of us kept and bred discus individually while being friends. One day we decided to combine our efforts which would eliminate our having to add more tanks and expand, keeping our setups manageable and fun rather then work. We buy groups of discus together with the hopes of getting a few pairs out of them. The groups of discus come to my place for pairing. When I have a confirmed pair they go to Rod's place for breeding. When he has a batch of fry that are a couple of weeks old they come back to my place for growout and are normally sold around 1.5". We only live a few miles apart and are on the same water system so it all works out. We are able to house groups, keep several breeding tanks, and have space to growout the fry. The system works and it cuts out some of the work and allows us to keep more pairs going. If Im missing anything feel free to chime in Rod. So back to the shipping issue. Rod and myself will consider shipping for the future. If we do decide to folow through no need to worry all you Ogon Yellow lovers as Rod has another clutch of Ogon Yellow eggs at his place now.

Bob

Lenin
05-10-2011, 09:48 PM
I was thinking about that, we're already saying how many we wanted and shipping wasn't even an option yet, oh well will keep on swimming, keep on swimming........

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
awww... :(

I wanted them now... Maybe it's time for you two to expand! You obviously have people willing to buy and pay for sihpping! :)

If you have turks, ica reds, any yellows, and/or albinos, let me know. I'll make an order from you that at least meets Rod's "min. order req." if you continue to have a good base price per fish :)

Lenin
05-10-2011, 09:57 PM
awww... :(

I wanted them now... Maybe it's time for you two to expand! You obviously have people willing to buy and pay for sihpping! :)

If you have turks, ica reds, any yellows, and/or albinos, let me know. I'll make an order from you that at least meets Rod's "min. order req." if you continue to have a good base price per fish :)

Yes. But I do understand, when people were asking about shipping whiteworms it wasn't feasible, for the supplies and work I wouldn't come even unless I was doing it in a greater scale.

Skip
05-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I LOVE THE NJ MAFIA STYLE Discus Action!!

i think Cambik/Lenver/Warlock will be NJ Mafia "Texas Chapter" in the Near Future :)

Here is the LOGO for the Leather Jackets :)

http://www.fishskinz.com/images/12FishLogoDecal9.gif

nc0gnet0
05-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Bob/Rod,

Just curious, as I understand it you have one pair of Ogon yellows. How many batches of fry do you typically produce before giving the parents a break? And when you do decide to give them a break, what do you do with them, seperate into community tanks? Or do they just stay in the breeding tanks together until they go on strike ;).

roclement
05-11-2011, 06:14 AM
We had two pairs, down to one now. When they take a break they go into the community tank, that's were the Ica's are right now.

Bob pretty much summed the whole thing up, we do this for fun adn keeping it this way is simple, if it becomes work-like it will end very fast!

Rodrigo

BOBT00LS
05-11-2011, 10:54 AM
All of the Ogon Yellows are SOLD. We will let you know when the next batch is ready.

Bob

fireman5214
05-11-2011, 08:27 PM
I know i have gotten fish in medium flat rate shipping boxes through USPS Priority Mail in styrafoam lined boxes like listed above from the Lowes/Home Depot stores. Here is a good link to making your own... http://www.aquaboards.com/showthread.php?68334-10-flat-rate-boxes-styrafoam-lined-for-10-bucks!&daysprune=-1 I would only buy liek 2-4 and then the flat rate shipping box of 10.90 there you go. I have never had fish die on me through USPS Priority Mail Shipping. I live close as well and it would probably be delivered next day anyway.

Skip
05-11-2011, 08:30 PM
i don't think they need to SHIP.. they seem to be doing very well in NJ :(

roclement
05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
I know i have gotten fish in medium flat rate shipping boxes through USPS Priority Mail in styrafoam lined boxes like listed above from the Lowes/Home Depot stores. Here is a good link to making your own... http://www.aquaboards.com/showthread.php?68334-10-flat-rate-boxes-styrafoam-lined-for-10-bucks!&daysprune=-1 I would only buy liek 2-4 and then the flat rate shipping box of 10.90 there you go. I have never had fish die on me through USPS Priority Mail Shipping. I live close as well and it would probably be deliveredt next day anyway.

Man I was just in Nazreth last week visiting the Martin factory...could have delivered to you!:-)

Rodrigo

ericatdallas
05-11-2011, 10:32 PM
i don't think they need to SHIP.. they seem to be doing very well in NJ :(

Yeah, if they sold out that quick, why bother.

I think it helps out a lot that the NE is so densely packed too. More people in a close range.

Skip
05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
i have dallas metroplex.. lots of good people with fish up there :)

thats where i have got all my fish to date :)

ericatdallas
05-11-2011, 11:01 PM
i have dallas metroplex.. lots of good people with fish up there :)

thats where i have got all my fish to date :)

I wish I still lived in Dallas. I should change my name to ericfromdallas. I live in Ohio now. Mike has good fish, but I have to drive an hour to Columbus to get them. When I have a chance to go, he's all sold out of the fish I want. :( I think the next closest is Kraig, but he's even further... :(

There isn't a steady/reliable breeder/hobbyist in Dayton either. There's one an hour north and one 1.5 hours south.

kevin joseph
05-12-2011, 12:12 AM
I wish I still lived in Dallas. I should change my name to ericfromdallas. I live in Ohio now. Mike has good fish, but I have to drive an hour to Columbus to get them. When I have a chance to go, he's all sold out of the fish I want. :( I think the next closest is Kraig, but he's even further... :(

There isn't a steady/reliable breeder/hobbyist in Dayton either. There's one an hour north and one 1.5 hours south.
i will drive! mikes fish are worth the drive and i have been wanting to visit kraig! road trip to kraigs sonds like a plan!

kevin joseph
05-12-2011, 12:33 AM
i will drive! mikes fish are worth the drive and i have been wanting to visit kraig! road trip to kraigs sonds like a plan!

im down for a road trip to rods if your up to it lets go!

ericatdallas
05-12-2011, 01:08 AM
im down for a road trip to rods if your up to it lets go!

LOL, that's an eleven hour drive just one-way... I would totally be up for it if I didn't have so much to do. My wife would kill me if I disappeared for two days to go buy fish :P

kevin joseph
05-12-2011, 12:26 PM
thats kind of the point! 2 days away from the family.the fish are just a bonus!

Scott293
05-12-2011, 06:26 PM
LOL, that's an eleven hour drive just one-way... I would totally be up for it if I didn't have so much to do. My wife would kill me if I disappeared for two days to go buy fish :P

Eric, If you make any trips like that let me know and I'll let you know if I do. That last one that I went on was about 3.5 hours and I only got two fish.

aalbina
05-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Man I was just in Nazreth last week visiting the Martin factory...could have delivered to you!:-)

Rodrigo

On my bucket list. Can't believe I sold my D28 eight years ago.... got a Taylor 710 Cocobolo Limited Edition so I guess I shouldn't complain. Still have the mahogany jumbo 12 string Martin when I need my fix...

Adam

Cevoe
05-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Adam,
I have the regular old 710-CE, not the limited edition, and I love it.
There will be a Martin somewhere down the road though.
Just not right now. Damn discus are cutting into my guitar budget.

TURQ64
05-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Rodrigo
I'd say this thread was highjacked!..Rod, if you ever need a 'deal' on a Martin, my former lead guitarist, whom I sent you CD's of is Martin's West Coast rep..Joe MacNamara (google him up)...I talk to him irregularly, and boy, does he get the deals...I sold all of my acoustics, with the exception of an old Ovation Elite I purchased in Alaska in 1981..Gary

Cevoe
05-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Hijacked for sure, Gary...There is a 12-string Ovation Pacemaker in my basement that I purchased new in 1976 leaning up against a 55-gallon tank.
Funny how the discus and guitars seem to go hand in hand with a lot of people on here.
In keeping with the subject of this thread, there was a cone full of Ogon Yellow eggs last night when I came home from work.
Waiting to see if they become anything.

BOBT00LS
05-13-2011, 11:43 AM
HIJACK AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!! The fry have been sold so continue on.

Bob

roclement
05-13-2011, 02:19 PM
I'd say this thread was highjacked!..Rod, if you ever need a 'deal' on a Martin, my former lead guitarist, whom I sent you CD's of is Martin's West Coast rep..Joe MacNamara (google him up)...I talk to him irregularly, and boy, does he get the deals...I sold all of my acoustics, with the exception of an old Ovation Elite I purchased in Alaska in 1981..Gary

Man I forgot to tell you about this whole CD story!!! So I am talking to my neighbor about my dog that just got fixed and between idle talk she tells me that she completely forgot that she had a package that belonged to me and forgot to deliver...guess what it was? Your CD's!!!! For the last 2 days I haven't taken it out of my player, really good stuff! I tought it was awesome opening a cd from the 80's that was just there, waiting to be listened to, very cool!!!

Thanks and I may take you up on a good deal on a Martin!

Anyone in the East Coast that likes guitars should make the trip! The tour is over an hour long walking through the actual factory, nd your guide is an actual factory employee! It is amazing to see something still being made by the hands of real people in a similar manner that they have been making them for so long! Add the museum and the ability to play various models hanging there, awesome!

Rodrigo

aalbina
05-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Cevoe - I was a long time Martin player, and the Taylors are so much brighter - they never appealed to me. Then I heard this Cocobolo wood 710 dreadnought and it was so sweet! My wife bought it for me because she got so tired of me constantly talking about it!

I do miss my D28 though.

Adam

TURQ64
05-16-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm a long time member in good standing of The Church of the Holy Stratocaster, so hence the removal of all of the acoustics in the music room....I get it, got it, but no longer need it....(acoustic styles)

Cevoe
05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Nondenominational here when it comes to the guitars.
Currently out of Strats and down to one Tele.
What I find to be really impressive is the technique Adam used in getting his wife to buy him a new guitar.
I think I might have found myself a new hero.

aalbina
05-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Worked like a charm - then she started talking about her car.......