PDA

View Full Version : For those who have raised discus in planted tanks......

oscarzx
05-09-2011, 10:31 PM
How was it? I've read some people's stories and claimed never to do it again. I understand where that comes from, having a heavily planted tank & rocky substrate makes it hard to clean up after the discus.

What was your greatest challenge in taking care of discus in a planted tank?

I'm also using pool filter sand, will that make cleaning after discus easier?

share the experiences.

gerrard00
05-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm about 9 months in to growing out 2.5 inch juvies in a planted tank. The biggest of my guys is about 6.5 inches now and I'm proud to have only lost one of my original six.

Count me among the group that would never do it again. If I could start over, I would have a smaller BB tank for at least the first year. Even with daily +50% wcs, the tank is basically always dirty. Food has some sort of magical attraction for inaccessible areas of plants. The discus don't seem to be great scavengers, so there are bits of food trapped after every meal.

Of course, I feed my guys six times a day and two of those meals are beefheart. I'm planning to switch to four and then eventually two meals a day as they mature. Hopefully that will make maintenance a lot easier.

Greenheinie
05-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I'd do it again. I'm not as hardcore as some on this site, but everything is working out well. Will I have the biggest discus known to man? Probably not, but they are all healthy and the tank looks good. I feed twice a day and do a 50% water change on weekends.

Skip
05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
If u go planted then get adult fish... If u want to grow out, use smaller bb tank...

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm about 9 months in to growing out 2.5 inch juvies in a planted tank. The biggest of my guys is about 6.5 inches now and I'm proud to have only lost one of my original six.

Count me among the group that would never do it again. If I could start over, I would have a smaller BB tank for at least the first year. Even with daily +50% wcs, the tank is basically always dirty. Food has some sort of magical attraction for inaccessible areas of plants. The discus don't seem to be great scavengers, so there are bits of food trapped after every meal.

Of course, I feed my guys six times a day and two of those meals are beefheart. I'm planning to switch to four and then eventually two meals a day as they mature. Hopefully that will make maintenance a lot easier.

What are the sizes of the other four? I noticed that too when I was growing out that one seemed to do better than the others. I was doing WC 2-3 times a day and I couldn't do it successfully. What kind of WC schedule did you use? I did a 20-30% AM, a 20-30% late PM (after work) and another 50-60% PM.

I think if I were to try it again, I might implement UGJs or RFUGs to help keep the gravel clean and a lot of mechanical filtration. I'm definitely going to re-do my planted tank to do atleast a UGJ to keep the gravel cleaner. I'm not convinced having the mulm removed will severely limit plant growth as there will still be nitrates and nutrients dissolved in the water.

oscarzx
05-10-2011, 11:30 AM
If u go planted then get adult fish... If u want to grow out, use smaller bb tank...

Not the route I'm taking.

oscarzx
05-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I plan on picking up 3"-3 1/2 discus from my breeder.. this should be interesting..

Skip
05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Well.. If u still go planted dont be too suprised if u dont get results u like in 6 months

zimmjeff
05-10-2011, 11:45 AM
I'v done both now and I would go with bb much more forgiving. No matter how good you are with water changes you always have stuff in your substrate.

ericatdallas
05-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Well the OP has asked a similar question in another thread. I'm convinced he's already made up his mind (as I did, as many others have).

Oscar, let us know how it turns out. If it works out, let us know what you did different. There's no one way to do things, so you might stumble on to the right formula of actions to make it happen and do it well.

Lenin
05-10-2011, 12:05 PM
For my experience the only thing that I wouldn't do is not use the beefheart mixes or anything that's raw, that's really the main concern on the planted tanks, mine is really heavily planted and I'm using Al's blackworms and my own white worms culture and the blackworms float for while for them to be able to pick them, and on my live culture they move around and they get hunted in my planted cover and they seem to enjoy it, I think this is what the main concern comes from, leaving raw mixes where they can't get to it.

Melissa
05-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Chad Hughes did the simply discus competition thing and grew out his group of 6 in a planted tank and they turned out very nice.... I would talk with him about what he did and how he did it. It is possible to grow out fry in a planted tank if you do it right :) I mean for gods sake... They grow in the wild don't they ? Lol just need to be careful in a closed system aquarium is all...

Chad Hughes is a sponsor on this site and you can find contact info for him on his website http://www.sandiegodiscus.com

strawberryblonde
05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
I think you've got the right idea on going with 3-3 1/2" fish instead of the itty bitty babies. They'll stand a much better chance of growing well in a planted tank.

One of these days I'll post some pics of my fish when they arrived a month ago, and their size and beauty now. They were all 4" a month ago. The largest is now 5" with two others right at his heels and the smallest is 4 1/2".

I did change my scape because I hated the old look (it was originally to show off rainbowfish and other cichlids who love dark backgrounds and substrates). I also removed problematic plants (tall wavy ones) and replaced them with dwarf sag and a couple of ruby swords.

Beyond that, adding pre-filters is THE SINGLE best thing I've done in my planted tank. It's working, so I know it can be done, just takes a lot of work and dedication. I keep telling my husband this isn't permanent and that it's only for another 9 months or so and then the fish go into their big tank and life calms down. LOL

oscarzx
05-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Well.. If u still go planted dont be too suprised if u dont get results u like in 6 months

I'll be fine.

oscarzx
05-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I'll forsure contact Chad Hughes about that. I know It can be done, It's not impossible.. It's sounds really challenging.. which I don't mind, all It takes is effort, you guys here on the forums are very informative people. I'm sure If i run into trouble I can always ask you guys for opinions.

I'm going to be stuborn and stick with my 90 gallon planted. I'm going to pick up discus in the 3"+ range. I'll make a journal on these forums and keep you guys updated as how everything is working out...

Skip
05-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm going to be stuborn and stick with my 90 gallon planted. I'm going to pick up discus in the 3"+ range. I'll make a journal on these forums and keep you guys updated as how everything is working out...

then why bother asking, if your mind is already made up.. :rolleyes2:

pay the 50 dollars become a homesteader.. and you have your own space to for the updates :idea:

chad is like discus expert.. if a newbie on his first tank, could replicate the process, then EVERYBODY would be able to do it.. HECK anybody for that matter

but if all the people that just posted to your OP that it is not a good idea, and they would not do it again is not enough for you.. the go for it.. :grin:

Skip
05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm sure If i run into trouble I can always ask you guys for opinions.

I'm going to be stuborn .

forgot to say.. i will be waiting for the "HELP, My discus have a Problem" thread..

just saying. .i was a newbie too.. and read all kinds of stuff AND I STILL didn't listen.. Derek wanted to choke me *thats right Derek, i remember that*...
i lost 4 fish because i thought i knew better and i was ignorant to the wealth of information and experience here..

"if you do not learn from history.. you are doomed to repeat it.." famous Quote from Homer Simpson
:thumbsup:

oscarzx
05-10-2011, 09:15 PM
"What was your greatest challenge in taking care of discus in a planted tank?" my question
"then why bother asking, if your mind is already made up.." your answer lol?

Mind is made up on having a planted tank, that's why I made a question for people with experience in that area..

Yea I'm a newb, I've read enough stuff on this website to make me a pro.. the only thing missing is the first hand experience with the fish.

I'm sure I'll make mistakes, hell I'll probably even regret doing it... Learning the hard way is the right way LOL

Skip
05-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Learning the hard way is the right way LOL

True words Sir :)

calihawker
05-10-2011, 11:49 PM
I've done both and would never do it again in a planted environment. The main thing for me was the ability to feed HEAVILY and change nearly 100% of the water daily. But then again I was competing to grow the biggest discus and if I remember correctly Chad beat me out with his planted setup.LOL! :)
I admire you for sticking to your guns! Just keep to a good feeding and water change regimen and maybe consider a different approach than EI dosing.
Good luck!

Steve

gerrard00
05-11-2011, 10:03 AM
What are the sizes of the other four? I noticed that too when I was growing out that one seemed to do better than the others. I was doing WC 2-3 times a day and I couldn't do it successfully. What kind of WC schedule did you use? I did a 20-30% AM, a 20-30% late PM (after work) and another 50-60% PM.

I think if I were to try it again, I might implement UGJs or RFUGs to help keep the gravel clean and a lot of mechanical filtration. I'm definitely going to re-do my planted tank to do atleast a UGJ to keep the gravel cleaner. I'm not convinced having the mulm removed will severely limit plant growth as there will still be nitrates and nutrients dissolved in the water.

The sizes are:

for my first batch of pigeons and:

for the blue turqs I got about a month later. One of the things that makes planted tanks harder is that I have to be careful not to overfeed. I think that makes it a little harder for the young guys to compete for food.

I do one 50-75% change every day around noon. I feed my girlfriends' home made seafood mix just before the change, since it's pretty messy. I don't worry about mulm or even beneficial bacteria in the substrate, I just dig it up during every change to keep anaerobic pockets from developing.

That said, for my first four or five months I was only doing three 30% changes a week.

mlw
05-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I raised mine in a planted tank. I was living in an apartment when I did though. If I had it to do over again in a house NO WAY! The water bill would be more than the mortgage.

I have 5 of the 7 I bought originally in my display tank. One of them jumped and one injured on a piece of driftwood and is in a hospital tank with pop-eye disease.

Going off topic since I am in the new house now, the water is different and I have a serious problem with algae. So if I were doing this from scratch in a house, with babies, nope wouldn't do it again. There is a lot of other stuff that a house needs, I don't think I could keep up with the, heavy feeding schedule large frequent water changes, and plant maintenance required to be successful with baby discus and plants.

discuspaul
05-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Good for you Oscar. I for one would encourage you to stick to your guns and give it a go the way you want to do it. Nothing wrong with it, and if you give it the attention & dedication you say you will, you shouldn't have any serious problems raising good-looking healthy discus. And it's challenging, yes, but is it difficult ?, not really. Just be sure to get your discus from a reputable, experienced source known for producing/raising healthy quality stock.

discuspaul
05-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Oh, and one grain of advice for keeping discus in a planted environment - if you can, feed lightly but often - do whatever you can to control and limit any build-up of uneaten food in your tank - and just DON'T feed beef heart mixtures -ime, that's the single, most important step you can take to maintain the water quality and cleanliness level you need, particularly if you're not planning to do daily wcs.
Also, the use of pre-filters will go a long way to maintain a needed quality cleanliness level in your filters.

russren
05-12-2011, 10:12 PM
the only thing I would add to this is don't go discus only for a planted tank. Other smaller fish and scavengers are needed IMO to handle the lost food in between plants. I am not talking about the two or three plants that some people call a planted tank, but a full on heavily planted tank.

judy
05-17-2011, 11:43 PM
I've raised a number of my own discus in a planted. Started them in the barebottom spawning tank until they were abut 2.5 inches, then moved them to the planted DT. A python in the corner, always there for the daily HUGE WC, thoroughly vac a third of the substrate each week, have dither fish and scavengers, overfilter like crazy (I have 250 gallons worth of filtration on an 80 gallon tank, in the form of the biggest Aquaclear HOBs you can get all the way across the back of the tank-- one cleaned weekly from left to right, plus a sponge filter,) and I found using feeding cones really helped with avoiding leftover food. I didn't feed beefheart, just bloodworms. My two oldest, each a red melon from two different batches off the same parents, are now the biggest boys in the tank-- bigger than the two adult pairs I bought a few years ago.
And after years of planted substrate, I just switched over to barebottom, replanting all the plants in pots, with one giant piece of driftwood as the visual centrepiece. I just decided I now like that very clean look.
But I'd raise young 'uns in a planted substrate again. I think people exaggerate how hard it is and how your discus will all become runts. None of mine did.

Skip
05-18-2011, 12:01 AM
But I'd raise young 'uns in a planted substrate again. I think people exaggerate how hard it is and how your discus will all become runts. None of mine did.

pics..

DLock3d
05-18-2011, 12:44 AM
pics..

Lol skip, you must have had a really bad experience with substrate.

strawberryblonde
05-18-2011, 02:44 AM
Ok, so you asked for pics from Judy, but what the heck, here's some current pics of my growing babies in a planted tank.

True, they were all about 4" when I got them, but it's only been 6 weeks and 3 of them are over 5" and the other 2 are 4 1/2". =)

As Judy said, it's a matter of choosing the right foods, be vigorous with cleaning and doing lots of huge water changes.

Funny though, she didn't mention replanting uprooted dwarf sag every single morning! LOL

PAR23
05-18-2011, 08:10 AM
WOW Toni, very nice. What's your secret? It takes me another 5-6 months on average to reach the 5.5-6" (SL) mark once they reach 4-4.5"
I have them in a BB tank and still feed them 6x a day. Oh yeah, daily 80% WCs.

Skip
05-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Lol skip, you must have had a really bad experience with substrate.

Well T, I did not have bad experience... My fish did.. These fish should be given best chance grow out.. Esp. Under 3".. As a newbie I read all the advice and still did it my way.. But I learned and I am trying to hrlp others not make same mistake.. But thats why we have the "help me now!!, because I dont listen or thought I knew better then SD" thread... Also new people dont understand fry dont all grow out at same rate.. Thus u can end up with runts that would have been culled

strawberryblonde
05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
WOW Toni, very nice. What's your secret? It takes me another 5-6 months on average to reach the 5.5-6" (SL) mark once they reach 4-4.5"
I have them in a BB tank and still feed them 6x a day. Oh yeah, daily 80% WCs.

I think the slower growth rate is absolutely normal Par. I have NO idea why mine are growing like this! I am semi-retired and work from home when I do take on clients, so I have a distinct advantage in being able to monitor my tank all day long. My fish also eat nearly continuously during the day. I feed smaller amounts and just feed them about 6 times a day with a bedtime snack. I stop feeding when I see their tummies starting to round out.

So I have no clue why mine are shooting up the way they are. I don't think it's my Idaho water. The stuff has high pH. Though I think the GH and KH are actually low. I ordered the test kits and did the tests and don't know if I did them incorrectly or just am clueless on how to read the resutls. LOL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here is my disclaimer. I completely agree with Warlock that trying to raise juvies in a planted tank is a daunting task and that it's not something to tackle simply because you want to prove the good folks here wrong.

I had it easy, I started out with 4" fish from Hans! I would NEVER try this with anything less than 4"....can't even imagine trying it. I've also had to make a LOT of adjustments along the way as I found what worked and what was detrimental to the fish.

For instance, the EI method is NOT ever gonna work. I ended up putting my fish in buckets, tearing down my tank and replacing the substrate. I learned that you can't count on the plants for filtration at all. The plants ARE gonna suffer throught out the grow out period because you still have to do twice daily WC if you are feeding protein rich foods.

And on and on. Everyone is going to have a different experience, whether it be in a BB tank or a planted tank. And it's why I tell people who are determined to try it the planted way to be willing to do the WC's, feed well and make changes if and when things don't work.

Oh and I only answered Warlock's call for pics cuz I love teasing him. Not because I'm advocating growing out itty bitty discus in a planted tank.

Skip
05-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Sb is cheating by starting with 4" fish! But it jus shows ur smarts!

strawberryblonde
05-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Yup yup, I'm a very happy cheater. =)

I originally thought it would be fun to grow out some 2.5" juvies in my tank. And then I read all the posts on this forum. And I mean ALL the posts! I used the search tool to look up specific topics and spent hours each day reading. And once I'd read it all I realized that given my tank parameters (a pentagonal and HARD to clean tank) I'd be dumb to try raising little guys in it. It was just asking for trouble.

So I did the math and figured out that raising five 4" discus in this tank was more practical and not more expensive than raising 10 2.5" juvies. And now that I have a 150g tank coming on Friday, I will be able to order 4 more 4" discus in order to fill out the tank and create a happy group.

And I can finally have my cardinal tetras...woot! And more sterbai cories...double woot! And I will never have to bend my arm backwards, sideways and inside out in order to reach the back corner of my tank cuz I won't HAVE a back corner!!

Yup yup, a very satisfied and happy cheater.

wannafish
05-18-2011, 01:50 PM
"What was your greatest challenge in taking care of discus in a planted tank?" my question
"then why bother asking, if your mind is already made up.." your answer lol?

Mind is made up on having a planted tank, that's why I made a question for people with experience in that area..

Yea I'm a newb, I've read enough stuff on this website to make me a pro.. the only thing missing is the first hand experience with the fish.

I'm sure I'll make mistakes, hell I'll probably even regret doing it... Learning the hard way is the right way LOL

There is no better lesson than experience. And this takes time. The reason some of these guys are pros,
is because they have learned from the time they have put into it, and the trial and errors to become experienced people with raising discus and planted tanks. I have read a lot here, but you don't see the results of what you have read until you apply it to you own tank. I was a newbie once. A lot of newbies want instant results. A discus tank with plants. And that's not going to happen. It's takes time and maintenance and water changes to have expected results in this area. Expected results are not instant results. I think if you do the work you will have success.

Jeff

Harriett
05-18-2011, 02:51 PM

I have raised juvies both in a planted tank [first batch] and many times in BB tanks and I totally agree that this is the approach of choice for me--it proved soooo much easier to raise juvies in a BB tank than in the planted tank--my rule is firmly 1 year or 6 inches, whichever comes first--then discus can get plopped into a planted tank....but the truth is, even that outlook has changed for me recently. I had the 180g planted for most of the last 10 years until about 4 months ago. I pulled all the plants, left the pool sand and LOTS of branchy wood, and set up some smaller planted tanks with little shoals of other sorts of light pooper fish and I am more relaxed about things.

The big tank stays considerably cleaner because I can get to every area with the python with ease, down to the glass bottom of the tank. I do like the look [although wilds or wild appearing discus would look better than these old assorted domestics do--they look rediculous to me]. My planted tank hobby has a different sort of reference point and I think I will keep it like this for a while.

Just rambling!
Best regards to all,

Harriett

judy
05-19-2011, 08:11 PM
ok, warlock, here's your pics. you will see the oldest of my babies, the red melons from two different generations, a few adults of my pairs, a juvie about 4.5 inches who's the kept baby from my red turqs, and two youngsters about 3 inches, from my snakeskin pair. They're coming along nicely. They are not growing at an exponential rate, but they are shaping up well and are very happy. Note this tank was just converted to barebottom about two weeks ago. The 4.5 inch boy is about five months old, and for some reason has grown quite quickly. The 3 inchers are about four months old. For size reference, in the first pic, the turq on the left, an adult from a mated pair, is about six inches. His baby is the 4.5 incher.

ericatdallas
05-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Has anyone considered a RFUG? I've read a lot about them and there are a lot of people discouraging it, but I think I still want to give it a try in my planted tank (definitely with adult discus).

I figured I would run two reverse power heads (maybe 170-200gph) to two UGF plates. I've seen a lot of people have success even with plants in other forums. This will also lift the debris.

The main reason the planted tank folks hate this is because it deprives the plants of mulm and you have to have a very good mechanical filtration system. I'll be running it with two AC110s for mechanical filtration. Also, it's supposedly bad because the roots will get disrupted but several people that did it, said it wasn't a problem because the flow rate was so low.

Why it works for planted tanks -> easy to dose ferts to roots, CO2 diffuse from bottom directly to the roots.

I think the reason everyone else hates it is because UGF has gotten such a bad rap over the last few years. They're hard to remove. If you have fish that dig, it can create uneven water flow. Debris can get caught under rocks and decorations.

I'm spending way too much money right now on fish, but it's something I'm considering. Like the others, I prefer plantd tanks for display and I think they look nice. Although having done it, it is a pain to keep clean.

The other option might be to increase water flow at the bottom of the tank to lift mulm up to the filters.

judy
05-19-2011, 11:18 PM
the thing with that configuration is that you are likely to draw both nitrates and sulphur dioxide up from the substrate into your water column, along with DOCs and truly, I don't think plants do all that well in a RFUG... I had one many years ago. was a constant battle with DOCs... and nitrates. Plants survived but did not flourish.

ericatdallas
05-19-2011, 11:53 PM
the thing with that configuration is that you are likely to draw both nitrates and sulphur dioxide up from the substrate into your water column, along with DOCs and truly, I don't think plants do all that well in a RFUG... I had one many years ago. was a constant battle with DOCs... and nitrates. Plants survived but did not flourish.

Will there still be SO2 if it's in the RFUG confiug? Part of the point of the RFUG is to keep the substrate oxygenated so that there isn't the anaerobic bacteria to create SO2, or so I thought? I honestly don't know, but I did think it was only a problem when the substrate wasn't properly aerated and cleaned.

As for DOCs, similarly, isn't the RFUG supposed to push it into the mechanical filtration (the two AC110s I mentioned?). What kind of mechanical filtration did you have with your RFUG?

NO3, no idea... I kind of assumed the plants were supposed to take care of that. I would actually think if you had a NO3 problem you could clean out your mechanical filters and do a PWC. I think part of the problem with regular flow UGFs is that it kept the DOCs below the substrate therefore creating a lot of nitrates if you didn't siphon it out via the tubes. The flipside of no RFUG or UGF is the DOCs in the substrate as well.

judy
05-20-2011, 10:17 AM
yeah, there can be SO2 in the RFUG setup. the flow in the substrate is not necessarily even and there can still be pockets, especially the further away you get from the uptake tubes and in areas wehre the substrate compacts more-- like under driftwood. I used two AC 110s, too, oddly, and they just couldn't suck up the amount of DOCs generated-- mechanical filtration picks up even very fine debris, but doesn't do much on fully dissolved organics-- and those, of course, are the lovely stuff that fuels nitrate buildup. Even a heavily planted tank can't absorb all the nitrates produced. Interestingly, though, there is some evidence that an undisturbed substrate will actually develop nice colonies of nonaerobic (unaerobic??) bacteria that consume nitrates, just as similar bacteria do in deep sand beds in reef tanks (I have one of those).
As well, the undisturbed substrate will trap the SO2 and allow it to leach very slowly into the water column and dissipate in amounts too small to harm the fish. It's only when you get in there with a stick or vacuum and shove it around that you'll release giant stinky very bad bubbles...

MKD
06-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Yes, i would do it again but I'll have to set up planted tank first to make sure run well before adding discus. I did it opposit. There is sticky from Carol about planted discus tank areadly warn to newbie doing both plant and discus at the same time. There are so many things involve with planted discus tank, alot of fixes and balances for discus and plants. for example plant only, each plant requires different thing like soil, fert, co2, light, scape decorating....etc, just only that you have to make a few adjustments to make it right and like a look at it. I don't want to say "no one", not many people able to do it right on the first time and happy with the look. I have read many "redo, rescape" threads. so plants and juvie discus = high errors. Just my 2 cents experience.

edited: Sticky not from Carol - here is the link from Mark
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?55440-So-ya-wanna-planted-Discus-tank

x2h
06-12-2011, 02:50 PM
it's funny i have been thinking setting up a planted tank like Judy's. Good work Judy! My plants are arriving next week: 2 swords mother plants, 3 swords large size, and 10 crypts. All will be planted into clay pots with soils.

fireman5214
06-28-2011, 04:25 PM
i have a planted grow out tank and I would never do barebottom as they look ugly to me and also i am all for as real as it gets. I have lost one fish because we could not find out what type of disease it had all of a sudden such as swiming fine in the morning and at the end of the night it was in bad shape. Keeping substrate clean is not as hard as people make it out to be, just dont over feed them.

Skip
06-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Keeping substrate clean is not as hard as people make it out to be, just dont over feed them.

yes.. that helps if you have larger older fish.. grow outs.. not so much

Lenin
06-28-2011, 05:01 PM
yes.. that helps if you have larger older fish.. grow outs.. not so much

Well skip my guys are looking good, and I see spots everywhere now, even the little flachens are almost two inches and very blue

jimg
06-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Has anyone considered a RFUG? I've read a lot about them and there are a lot of people discouraging it, but I think I still want to give it a try in my planted tank (definitely with adult discus).

I figured I would run two reverse power heads (maybe 170-200gph) to two UGF plates. I've seen a lot of people have success even with plants in other forums. This will also lift the debris.

The main reason the planted tank folks hate this is because it deprives the plants of mulm and you have to have a very good mechanical filtration system. I'll be running it with two AC110s for mechanical filtration. Also, it's supposedly bad because the roots will get disrupted but several people that did it, said it wasn't a problem because the flow rate was so low.

Why it works for planted tanks -> easy to dose ferts to roots, CO2 diffuse from bottom directly to the roots.

I think the reason everyone else hates it is because UGF has gotten such a bad rap over the last few years. They're hard to remove. If you have fish that dig, it can create uneven water flow. Debris can get caught under rocks and decorations.

I'm spending way too much money right now on fish, but it's something I'm considering. Like the others, I prefer plantd tanks for display and I think they look nice. Although having done it, it is a pain to keep clean.

The other option might be to increase water flow at the bottom of the tank to lift mulm up to the filters.

I had an ugf in a planted tank. the problem was not the gasses being released there is less chance of that due to circulation when working. You actually have less chance at anaerobic pockets. the problem was for plants you need deeper and finer gravel which slows the filter and the roots grow covering the holes so it almost does nothing. Another problem was anytime you touch the gravel the tank was clouded in minutes. Not to mention the current that you get with 4 good power heads.
I like ugf in un-planted tanks with coarse gravel they work great.

Skip
06-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Well skip my guys are looking good, and I see spots everywhere now, even the little flachens are almost two inches and very blue

yea.. but do you see BLUE DIAMOND!?? do you want too ;)

Lenin
06-28-2011, 09:41 PM
LOL, It's OK those flachen are making up for it, and the PE always around like a peacock

greengreen84
06-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Has anyone tried this with a non Co2 planted method (low tech planted tank)?

gerrard00
06-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Has anyone tried this with a non Co2 planted method (low tech planted tank)?

My tank is non-CO2. Handling the needs of the juvie discus and plants was hard enough, I can't imagine adding CO2 to the mix.

Lenin
06-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't use CO2 and in my opinion that's how you should go with discus