PDA

View Full Version : Speedlight Question

Hsunami
05-11-2011, 12:21 AM
So i bought the SB 700 and i was wondering why alot of the products do not list the sb700 for wireless? Does it not work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W3IXZW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0K3X203YSBSM8N42WT3C&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

It says sb 600 then 800 then 900.

Why is the 700 not listed?

And if those really do not work with the sb 700 does that mean i have to buy the nikon ones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T9NX9Q/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i6?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0715JC2DEERD8KVE1178&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

?? ? ? thanks for the help.

pcsb23
05-11-2011, 02:05 AM
The SB700 is fairly new, I believe it does do wirelss, take a look at the review here http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091509sb700.asp

Hsunami
05-11-2011, 02:11 AM
good info thanx.

But will the sb 700 work with the 1st link provided? or do i need to buy the 2nd link one.

pcsb23
05-11-2011, 02:33 AM
No idea sorry, don't use these.

jcardona1
05-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah it's because it's such a new speedlight. Both of those triggers are exactly the same. Main difference is the cheapy ones do not transmit TTL information, and the Pocket Wizards do. They both use radio frequencies from the transmitter to the receiver, which then triggers the speedlight.

jcardona1
05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
And when you say "wireless", keep in mind there's two ways to trigger a speedlight:

1) Radio frequency triggers that activate the flash via from the bottom of the mount
2) From the camera itself which sends an infrared signal from the on board flash to the speedlight's little infrared sensor on the side (Commander mode)

Hsunami
05-11-2011, 01:21 PM
heya jcardona you told me in the other thread that aquarium photography doesn't really need the TTL information and adjusting it is easy, i just wanted to get that cheap one first to test everything and see how i like using it before buying the pocket wizards. but thanks i'll get the cheap one first to test.

For the pocket wizards i saw there is a TT1 and a TT5 does that mean i have to get both? or am i able to just get the TT1 and it will work with the SB-700.

Thanks again for the help.

edit: yea but i don't have the commander mode on my d5000 :( so. . . i gotta go radio triggers

jcardona1
05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah Kevin, TTL lighting really isn't good for aquarium photography IMO. That's because the glass and water gives wonky results. Also, TTL metering means through the lens. So the camera is reading the light/exposure through the lens, calculates the amount of light you need, then transmits that information to the speedlight which pumps out the correct amount of light. To use TTL, you need to understand how it works, and what it's limitations are. For example, take a picture of one fish in the scene and a black background, then take another picture with several fish in the scene. The light output will be inconsistent between those two images because the camera is reading the light and dark scenes through the lens. As you change your composition, the light output also changes, and you need to constantly be fudging with the flash exposure compensation.

Also, the fish may move up or down in the aquarium, which can lead to even more inconsistent results as they move closer to the light source. That's why I like to put the flash in manual mode, and have the exact same amount of light for each exposure. It makes things a lot easier.

As for the PWs, yes, you'll need both. That is why they get VERY expensive. You need the transmitter to sit on the camera, and you need the receiver to sit under your speedlight. If you have multiple speedlight, each speedlight will need it's own receiver. You can see how the cost adds up quickly.

Hsunami
05-11-2011, 01:30 PM
sweet thanks for clarifying. Learned so much from you. Well good saved me 200-400 on not having to buy the other one now. Woot

jcardona1
05-11-2011, 01:38 PM
No problem, glad I could help. The pocket wizards will really shine when you start doing off-camera lighting for portrait shoots. I tried using my cheap radio triggers for a high school senior portrait session and w/o TTL, it was a total pain. Everytime you move around you have to adjust your flash output, since it's all in manual. If you don't it will be under/over exposed. I got fed up and simply put my speedlight/umbrella setup on the 10ft extension cable. The TTL lighting makes it so easy to get good results. If anything, all you need to do is quickly adjust the flash exposure comp.

But for aquarium photography, PWs are not needed, and overkill. If you start doing portraits, that's where they'll really pay off. Here's an example. Used one speedlight and a translucent umbrella, held by somebody from the left:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5390887834_566b590109_b.jpg

Hsunami
05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
beautiful as always. Love the background

Maybe if i get to portraits then i may get one but for aquarium photograph i won't bother. Thanks again!