PDA

View Full Version : replacing substrate and sterilizing aquarium

BlazednSleepy
05-11-2011, 09:50 PM
So today I decided I wanted to replace the substrate because its reaaaaaaaally old. And since my tank has had it share of fish diseases I want to give it a fresh start again until late june when I get a new tank.

I'm planning on getting a 20 gallon QT tank to put the current fish in while I work on the 40 gallon.

Does anybody see any risks in doing this?

How would I go ahead and sterilize the tank? Bleach/water mix? I read that bleach with still stay in the tank even after thoroughly rinsing..is this true?

And what about my HOB filters? would I still those lil bio wheels in the QT tank so they dont die off?

And how I would steralize the HOB filters without the bio wheels on?

Thanks everyone.

And Some of my fish are suffering from fin and tail rot and water changes dont seem to do the trick So that part of the reason I want to QT them.

And No i dont have any discus..but im trying to get multiple opinions.

zchauvin
05-11-2011, 10:15 PM
#1- not really any risks if you cycle 20 first or do 70-80% wc everyday.
#2- bleach and water is fine but there are other ways
#3- either use in new tank and keep media alive or throw and recycle new ones.
#4- put wheels in old tank water then use vinegar and water to clean filter then let air dry and place wheels back in and put on tank.

BlazednSleepy
05-11-2011, 10:19 PM
#2- what are those other ways of completely sterilizing?
#3 what if I was to get a new filter for the 20 and put the already established bio wheels from the HOB filters in the 40 into the 20? Would the tank still do a cycle?

BlazednSleepy
05-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Since Im using 2 HOB penguin 350's on my 40 gallon. Overkill I know.

What I Just put one of them in the 20?

And I can always put my cardinals and rasboras in my current 12 gallon until the the 40 is ready again.

there would be 3 algea eaters,3 loaches, and 2 high fin sharks in the 20 gallon.

BlazednSleepy
05-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Now that I think of it I might just start fresh with a new filter. Do a fishless cycle on it. It'll be good practice for the big tank as well.

BlazednSleepy
05-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Just ordered an aquaclear 50 for 30 bucks. Should be here on friday.

zchauvin
05-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Just ordered an aquaclear 50 for 30 bucks. Should be here on friday.

More filters the better. For cleaning you can use pp. You can use old filters on new tank will be fine.

BlazednSleepy
05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
More filters the better. For cleaning you can use pp. You can use old filters on new tank will be fine.

Use a PP?

zchauvin
05-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Uhm look for jungle clear water that's the liquid form. Just get a lot and fill tank

BlazednSleepy
05-13-2011, 01:06 AM
Jungle Clear?

Thats not meant for sterilizing the tank...

BlazednSleepy
05-13-2011, 01:10 AM
What about using soap and water to clean the whole tank. Then wash it out really good..Then use some Lysol wipes to sterilize all the glass and then rinse really good again. What do you think?

strawberryblonde
05-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Soap and lysol aren't good ideas. They leave residue behind that you can't totally rinse out.

I sterilize my tanks, plants, decorations and even gravel with plain old bleach. Just toss in a couple of cups of bleach, fill the tank with water and let it sit for at least an hour. Then drain the tank completely and rinse thoroughly with plain water several times. Syphon out the rinse water (be sure to wipe the sides well with paper towels) and then refill the tank and add a strong dose of dechlorinator. Let it sit for an hour, then drain, rinse, syphon and do a sniff test. You shouldn't be able to smell ANY bleach. If you do smell it, refill and use more dechlorinator till the bleach smell is completely gone.

After that's done, let the tank sit overnight to air dry. And voila, your tank is now sterile and safe for fish.

Bleach gravel, driftwood, etc in a large bucket and do the same thorough rinsing procedure and then the dechlor process. Driftwood can also be boiled in order to sterilize it.

For plants, mix a solution of 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Dip the plants for no more than 20 seconds for the hardiest plants, 10 seconds for delicate ones. Pull them out of the bleach solution and rinse them under running water really well. Then toss them into a bowl with a solution of water and 1 capful of prime or other dechlor product. I prefer Prime, but others also work. Gently swish the plants around, then pull them out and do the sniff test. They should smell clean and odor free.

BlazednSleepy
05-13-2011, 04:16 AM
Bleach wouldnt leave a residue?

Cevoe
05-13-2011, 07:40 AM
The advice on using plain old bleach and a dechlorinator is exactly what I do and have done several times.
To answer your question, there is no residue.
You can do the same with the filter bodies you have too.
Save your media in your tank and put it back in once the filters are clean. If the filters really do not need cleaning then just leave them alone.
I never liked the biowheel type as compared to the Aquaclears, by the way.
Good luck.

TURQ64
05-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Your idea of jumping the bio wheels over is a good plan..when you can't smell the bleach anymore, the tank is good to go...you can get Potassium Permanganate(PP) at hardware stores..Most have or can order 'Summit Brand' PP..it's generally used in Iron Filters for water softening...cheeep!