PDA

View Full Version : 3 Questions

christian1971
05-13-2011, 05:34 PM
3 more questions and then I will shut up.
Is there any benefit to an open top aquarium? I was thinking of using latice (spelling) to put over the top. Probably lose lots of heat.
Can I use the light fixture that came with my aquarium or should I get a different one? My tank is bare with no plants. What bulb would you recommend? The room itself will be dark. Will it depend on the color of the fish? Certain bulbs bring out better colors in red/ blue.....
How do I go about donating a few dollars to this site?

strawberryblonde
05-13-2011, 05:41 PM
I considered using egg crate for my tank top, since the one that came with the tank is horrid to use (tiny little opening for feeding). I nixxed the idea when I realized that having all that open space was going to make it too easy for aerosol sprays, dust and other contaminants to enter my tank.

I'm still deciding what to do with the top, but am leaning towards making an acrylic one with a hinged opening all the way across the front. They sell the piano hinges at a couple of pet stores online so you can DIY it.

Darrell Ward
05-13-2011, 06:09 PM
3 more questions and then I will shut up.
Is there any benefit to an open top aquarium? I was thinking of using latice (spelling) to put over the top. Probably lose lots of heat.
Can I use the light fixture that came with my aquarium or should I get a different one? My tank is bare with no plants. What bulb would you recommend? The room itself will be dark. Will it depend on the color of the fish? Certain bulbs bring out better colors in red/ blue.....

Use the light that came with your tank. Use tops. Fish sometimes jump, and humidity from evaporation sucks. PM "Brewmaster15" about donations.

Darrell Ward
05-13-2011, 06:12 PM
I considered using egg crate for my tank top, since the one that came with the tank is horrid to use (tiny little opening for feeding). I nixxed the idea when I realized that having all that open space was going to make it too easy for aerosol sprays, dust and other contaminants to enter my tank.

I'm still deciding what to do with the top, but am leaning towards making an acrylic one with a hinged opening all the way across the front. They sell the piano hinges at a couple of pet stores online so you can DIY it.

Acrylic tops warp like hell. Been there, done that.

Bud Smith
05-13-2011, 06:16 PM
I also have a 75 gallon BB aquarium with eight 5 to 7 inch discus. I like the glass hinged top - works well - easy to keep clean
Whatever light you use the coralife colormax bulb brings out the color of my discus very well - when the lights are out in the living room - looks great
I am soaking driftwood to add to my tank - very benifical and gives a great look
In the end its your preference - I suggest checking pics of BB tanks on this site and also you tube - plenty pics of BB discus tanks
post a pic - like to see it finished

Bud

Larry Bugg
05-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Top of the page under the Simply banner. last link says Contribute here.

LizStreithorst
05-13-2011, 08:02 PM
If it doesn't have to be pretty, a piece of styrofoam works well for a lid. When I get fancier, I thought about plexi glass. Is that the same thing as acrylic?

Bud Smith
05-13-2011, 08:10 PM
I tried plexi glass - got to hot - started to warp slightly and fogged up - used for 4 months

zchauvin
05-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I tried plexi glass - got to hot - started to warp slightly and fogged up - used for 4 months

+1 I tried plexi glass too and it warped big time.

jarret8x
05-14-2011, 12:01 AM

+2

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

strawberryblonde
05-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Well dang it all! LOL

Ok, so plexiglass/acrylic is out of the question. Though I'm not sure mine would get all that hot since I'm only running a 24w T5 and a 15w T8. Better not to spend the money on it though and then regret it in a few months.

On the plus side, I decided to go check craigslist for a tank again tonight (still waiting patiently for a 110 to be listed in my area) and about had a heart attack when I saw a custom built 115 complete with lights, UV, filters, and stand for just under $200!!!

I'm thinkin' there's a new tank gonna be in my house this weekend. And if that's the case, I'll just continue to struggle with the inconvenient tank top I have now on my 54.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Christian. I'll shush up now and go drool a bit over the craigslist pics.

christian1971
05-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Not at all. I have learned something along the way. I have decided to get my 75 gal tomorrow and set it up. Enjoy setting up your new tank this weekend!! I am still a bit undecided about what foods I will feed when the time comes. I will most likely work with frozen/flake/pellets. There are some small companies selling good beef heart flakes. Was recommended that I get small quantities because it can spoil. Could I make a paste out of a portion of flakes and then feed the fish?

discolicious
05-14-2011, 02:06 AM
Is there any benefit to an open top aquarium?

My glass hinged top definitely helps keep the heat in so the heaters work less. If it were open, I would worry about spilling things in it, or my cats trying to play in it.

Could I make a paste out of a portion of flakes and then feed the fish?

I sometimes take flakes, wet them and freeze them in small cubes (you can use the bubble packets that brine shrimp come in). Then I can drop a cube in when I'm too busy to hand feed them. The cube melts slowly and the fish gather around it to catch the flakes as they float off. I don't think you would want to make a paste though as that would probably muck up the water.

Darrell Ward
05-14-2011, 03:55 AM
Well dang it all! LOL

Ok, so plexiglass/acrylic is out of the question. Though I'm not sure mine would get all that hot since I'm only running a 24w T5 and a 15w T8. Better not to spend the money on it though and then regret it in a few months.

On the plus side, I decided to go check craigslist for a tank again tonight (still waiting patiently for a 110 to be listed in my area) and about had a heart attack when I saw a custom built 115 complete with lights, UV, filters, and stand for just under $200!!!

I'm thinkin' there's a new tank gonna be in my house this weekend. And if that's the case, I'll just continue to struggle with the inconvenient tank top I have now on my 54.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Christian. I'll shush up now and go drool a bit over the craigslist pics.

Dang Toni, if in good shape, you need to jump on that quick! My 150 gal. tank alone with only tops cost me more than that new, and it was marked down because it had sat in the store for months.

3dees
05-14-2011, 08:24 AM
my wilds tank is open top. can't put a top on as I have branches sticking out. of the water. so far in a little over a year only one festivum has jumped and I was in the room so no harm. I do add a gallon of water every morning. I think a top is best but sometimes it just can't be done.

ericatdallas
05-14-2011, 11:01 AM
I use glass and it cracked from the heat of my light... I doubt the light that came with your aquarium will get that hot though.