PDA

View Full Version : Best lighting for non planted discus show tank

matt2426
05-13-2011, 10:04 PM
what is the best kind of light bulbs for a non planted discus tank that will show off the discus colors the best i have a fixture for t8 bulbs

Sean Buehrle
05-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Try a saltwater bulb that has a little actinic in it. something like a 50/50

Pardal
05-14-2011, 01:29 AM
The new led from marineland are really good , and they will produce a nice glitter effect in the water column . you can have three choices equivalent to a single light bulb flourescent(cheapest), to double and tripler. They all are energy efficient and you can get it at decent price at Doctor's Foster & Smith. another good fixture the supports are extendable and can work in most any size aquarium. I have a bare bottom but I have a few plants amazon and anubias and they are doing really well healthy roots and healthy leaves, just attached to a manzanita wood. neither to say I do water changes daily. and the plants are doing well.
they are also very slick and light weight. I was a little aprehensive at the begining , but now there is not way I go back to heavy and heat energy unefficient lamps.
Just IMHE.

Chad Hughes
05-14-2011, 01:49 AM
I agree... try to find an LED fixture. Way worth the expense. they last approximately 30,000 to 50,000 hours and use WAY les enerygy than the best CFHO lighting. If you're not supporting plant life, these are the way to go!

Justice
05-14-2011, 02:00 AM
The new led from marineland are really good , and they will produce a nice glitter effect in the water column . you can have three choices equivalent to a single light bulb flourescent(cheapest), to double and tripler. They all are energy efficient and you can get it at decent price at Doctor's Foster & Smith. another good fixture the supports are extendable and can work in most any size aquarium. I have a bare bottom but I have a few plants amazon and anubias and they are doing really well healthy roots and healthy leaves, just attached to a manzanita wood. neither to say I do water changes daily. and the plants are doing well.
they are also very slick and light weight. I was a little aprehensive at the begining , but now there is not way I go back to heavy and heat energy unefficient lamps.
Just IMHE. X2!!!

Darrell Ward
05-14-2011, 12:23 PM
what is the best kind of light bulbs for a non planted discus tank that will show off the discus colors the best i have a fixture for t8 bulbs

jarret8x
05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Just IMHE.
They are nice lights for the price I like mine