PDA

View Full Version : Do they ever stop?

atitagain
05-14-2011, 10:36 PM
The SS and Turq dropped another batch of eggs tonight. Since this is not the direction I was planning on going I'm wondering if the eggs keep getting eaten if they will stop laying.

I have two pair in my display tank and they've dropped eggs 6 times, three since I was forced to move them to the 150.

Breeding is not something I want to do and the two pairs have effectively cut the tank in half.

Jennie
05-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Just leave em be...the fry will get eaten anyway by the other fish

VWalker
05-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Just leave em be...the fry will get eaten anyway by the other fish

right, but won't they still continue to defend off the one half of the tank, eggs or not?

ericatdallas
05-16-2011, 11:18 AM
You could always remove the females....

You could also sell your pairs off....

You could adjust your environmental parameters? Maybe if you reduce the temperature to the low end of Discus comfort they'll decide not to breed. Change lighting? Stop feeding them so well...

Breeding is what animals do...

atitagain
05-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Eric,

At my age I'm pretty familiar with how the whole thing works, I have two kids of my own. :)

Since we like the fish and grew them out it's preferred that we don't get rid of any of them. Also we worked hard to give them a good living environment and they are looking and doing so much better now then when they were in tap at a PH of 8.6.

The male has almost completely stopped eating to protect his territory and I'm most likely going to have to QT him for a little while just to fatten him up.

They threw eggs two days after being moved from a 125 to a 150 so a change in there surroundings didn't really help.

Both of my turq's ended up females and are beautiful fish, I was hoping the folks with experience could offer a solution.

With multiple failures and eaten eggs will they give up after a while?

roundfishross
05-16-2011, 12:09 PM
you should up the temp to around 87 or 88 they may just focus on eating at that point....hth

leo ross

2075turner
05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
I would also recommend increasing the temp, to 88. I find this usually stops them from being interested in mating. Another thing you can do is to introduce an media where they can deposit the egg then just remove it as soon as they lay their eggs. It would cut down on the defending of the area as there would be no more eggs to protect.

HTH

mmorris
05-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Leave them alone unless there is damage or a fish is not able to eat for an extended period of time. I suspect things will settle down. The more you meddle, the more likely we will see you in the disease section.

atitagain
05-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Leave them alone unless there is damage or a fish is not able to eat for an extended period of time. I suspect things will settle down. The more you meddle, the more likely we will see you in the disease section.

LOL..... I don't want to spend anymore time in that forum Martha.

Raising the temp isn't an option because of other fish in the tank.

Not being a breeder is it normal for a fish to back off eating to breed and protect it's territory?

CliffsDiscus
05-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Not to worry the female will go off of her spawning cycle

face_tiger_bite
05-17-2011, 03:20 AM
you can sell them

atitagain
05-17-2011, 08:23 AM
you can sell them

No way that will happen!