PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a 75 gal tank

christian1971
05-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't you know it, today I was going to buy my tank, and the store had no 75 gal tank in stock.
Found another pet store which will get me one: glass tank, glass lid for $179. Sounds like a good deal. What do you think?

Darrell Ward
05-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Sounds fair to me. Glass prices have increased quite a bit in the last couple of years.

zchauvin
05-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Paid 159 for mine with no glass tops for b/w center brace and had to order the glass today for an additional 36. so yeah you did good :)

ericatdallas
05-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Wouldn't you know it, today I was going to buy my tank, and the store had no 75 gal tank in stock.
Found another pet store which will get me one: glass tank, glass lid for $179. Sounds like a good deal. What do you think?

The lid should cost about $32 online (Foster and Smith). So consider that when thinking of price. You're essentially paying $147 ($179-$32) for the 75G tank. I can buy a used 75G on Craigslist for $50-100 (typical listing). I bought a brand new 75G tank last year for $75 (but that's a rare find, $1/gallon sales usually only go for 55G tanks). I don't know what the price of new tanks currently are though or your area...

christian1971
05-15-2011, 03:55 PM
I did find a few 75 gal on craigslist, but they looked very dirty and I was concerned about bacteria. Petsmart had 75 gal with hood, lights and glass top for $194 but said it would be 3-4 weeks for next order of tanks. That's too long for me.

ericatdallas
05-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I did find a few 75 gal on craigslist, but they looked very dirty and I was concerned about bacteria. Petsmart had 75 gal with hood, lights and glass top for $194 but said it would be 3-4 weeks for next order of tanks. That's too long for me.

You can kill any harmful bacteria with a bleach solution. I'm not a big fan of used tanks either, I seem to take much better care of my tanks than what I see people selling. Lights can be pretty pricey... I would probably value the light at around $40-50.

Have you looked at the prices for 90G? They're slightly taller than 75G but have the same footprint. Not sure how much more expensive they are though.

christian1971
05-15-2011, 04:12 PM
I have sort of. Since I already ordered my 75 I am happy with that. I have 3-Fusion 700 and 3-Hydro IV Pro Sponges. So I will have three sponges working and three separate air stones. Plus one or two (not sure yet) AC 100. Besides I was recommended (maybe even by you) that it is good to have a cycled filter for an quar. tank.

ericatdallas
05-15-2011, 04:19 PM
I have sort of. Since I already ordered my 75 I am happy with that. I have 3-Fusion 700 and 3-Hydro IV Pro Sponges. So I will have three sponges working and three separate air stones. Plus one or two (not sure yet) AC 100. Besides I was recommended (maybe even by you) that it is good to have a cycled filter for an quar. tank.

An extra sponge in display tank to quickly setup a QT tank... Sounds like something I would recommend... :)

That's a lot of filters... what exactly do you plan to put in this tank again?

christian1971
05-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Just 6 or 8 discus. No substrate or wood or plants. I figure the more biological filtration the better. But then again I can easily be wrong.

ericatdallas
05-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Just 6 or 8 discus. No substrate or wood or plants. I figure the more biological filtration the better. But then again I can easily be wrong.

You can have too little filtration and ammonia builds up. You can have too much filtration in that it serves no purpose and you're wasting money/energy.

Too much bio-filtration media won't hurt, but you can only sustain as much bacteria as your bio-load can provide food. Basically, two sponges in your tank could possibly have about as much bacteria as just one sponge due to the low availability of food. This probably won't be true, because two sponges will trap more debris than just one even after cleaning for the bacteria to feed off of.

However, that means at a certain level, it won't do any more good if you have 2 or 3 or 15 sponges (diminishing returns). Effectiveness will basically level off where adding one more filter will be indistinguishable from having one less. They do provide a little mechanical filtration which still helps.

If you have no substrate and if I remember right, you're doing 100% WC, then I would say avoid two AC110s and just go with one. If you have money to burn, I suppose go ahead, I don't think 8 discus will be bothered by two HOBs. My discus likes the water flow... they like to go up to where the filters discharge or the hose during water changes.

On a BB tank with 6-8 Discus and daily large WCs should not need more than one sponge and one HOB/Canister.

Bud Smith
05-15-2011, 05:06 PM
+ 1 Eric - I run a 75 gal. BB with 2 HOB and 2 hydro IV - One hydro does fine - I keep the second one for quarantine tank
This set-up works perfect for my 6 adult discus + one pair I just set-up in 20 gal. breeder tank

Christian1971 - good deal on your equipment - I purchased a glass hood for 32 and a new 75 glass tank on sale at Jacks Pets for 52
I thing you may have to think about down the road is with 6 or 8 adult discus you may get a pair that lay eggs - you have figure out how to handle that
I am sure that Eric or someone will help out with that if it occurs

ericatdallas
05-15-2011, 05:17 PM
I am sure that Eric or someone will help out with that if it occurs

Nope, I'm pretty new to Discus (not aquariums). I've killed and I've raised Discus, so I can only talk to that. So I've seen what works and doesn't work :) If I get eggs, I'll probably quickly login here to show them off and ask for help :)

Bud, I think I've asked you somewhere else, but maybe that was someone else. What part of OH do you live in? You got a 75 for $52?

Bud Smith
05-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Yea - that be me you asked - Northwest Ohio
Jack Pets had them on sale - but as was mentioned that price was awhile back - They have good sales on tanks seems like a couple of times a year

ericatdallas
05-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Wow, $52 on a 75G is an outrageous deal. I would buy one or two just to keep in storage at that price :)

Bud Smith
05-15-2011, 05:55 PM
It was one of those deals that they only had one left with black trim and all the rest were oak - believe me if I could have bought 3 I would have and then I would have returned home and my wife would have killed me - but hey - when it comes to my discus I do what I must do

Christian1971 looks like you have a sound plan for your discus - good luck
Let us know how it is going

I will shut up now

Skip
05-15-2011, 06:25 PM
yes.. price is fair :)

i paid 125 tank only

moon_knight1971
05-15-2011, 08:01 PM
anybody know when Petsmart is going to have their $1 a gallon sale on tanks?

Joey!

ericatdallas
05-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I know they're supposed to do it once a year but they only go up to 55G right?

Skip
05-15-2011, 08:12 PM
anybody know when Petsmart is going to have their $1 a gallon sale on tanks?

Joey!

Petco.. has $1/gallon sale.. only up to 55g

i found out that PETSMART will match prices.. even off internet.. i was told to print out "CHECKOUT" page.. to show price and totals.. and take that to PETSMART and they will match the price!

ericatdallas
05-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Petco.. has $1/gallon sale.. only up to 55g

i found out that PETSMART will match prices.. even off internet.. i was told to print out "CHECKOUT" page.. to show price and totals.. and take that to PETSMART and they will match the price!

Really? I had no idea... good to know.

TwitchyDiscus
05-15-2011, 10:34 PM
That seems like a fair price!