PDA

View Full Version : When to add more Discus

dansally
05-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey all,

I just added 3 discus to my 55 gallon planted tank 2 weeks ago. It was my first time with Discus and I had done my research, but I was still pretty nervous.

After the first week, they were happy and eating well. The downside is, with 3, one of them has been getting picked on and doesn't seem to be doing as well as the other two (he's been darker and generally doesn't get an even share of the food).

I'm thinking adding two more may help mellow the social order in the tank, but I also don't want to send the tank into a downward spiral.

It also goes without saying I'd love to add two more just to have two more.

For reference, their tankmates are:

4 cardinal tetras (I'd like to add 6 more to make them a bit more comfortable)
2 honey gouramis
9 harlequin rasboras
A whole gang of red cherry shrimp that are loving the leftovers the discus are leaving, albeit having to occasionally bob and weave to avoid becoming the meal themselves

Anyway - is there a particular grace period you should allow before adding new fish? Also, with the current set up am I running the risk of overstocking?

Skip
05-16-2011, 09:04 PM
well you get them from SAME SOURCE or not..
the discus will soon be eating the Cherry Shrimp

moon_knight1971
05-17-2011, 12:15 AM
+1 on getting them from the same source. Even then there could be problems so you might want to consider placing your new discus in a seperate quarantine tank for 6 - 8 weeks before adding them with your existing ones. Also, try to get at least 3. They do better in groups of 6 or more....

Joey!

dansally
05-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the info. My plan was to get the discus from the same source, so I'm glad to hear that's all I need to do.

My primary concern was overstocking, so I'm glad to know that's not a huge issue in this case.

PAR23
05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the info. My plan was to get the discus from the same source, so I'm glad to hear that's all I need to do.

My primary concern was overstocking, so I'm glad to know that's not a huge issue in this case.

Keep on top of your WCs and you should be OK.

mkv
05-17-2011, 01:14 PM
+1 on water changes. I have 5 on my 55 gal and I do 6-7 feedings daily plus water changes... the more water you can change the better for them....