PDA

View Full Version : Sump Question

cmich
05-17-2011, 12:52 AM
I haven't run a sump on my 90 gallon for a couple years now because I took the tank apart to move it from Michigan to Chicago and in the process miss placed my pump. Can anyone give a recommendation of what to look for in a new pump for a 90 gallon tank that has enough power to bring the water up 4 1/2 feet from the ground over the tank wall. Also, if anyone would be able to recommend a particular pump with a link I would appreciate it. I'm also trying to get the sump set up again without breaking the bank. I spent about 100 dollars on my last pump and i'm looking to do this one cheaper. Thanks in advance.

Blake

roundfishross
05-17-2011, 12:56 AM
heres a pretty good deal I like the quiet one pumps they are durable and energy efficient
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentair-Quiet-One-4000HH-Aquarium-Pump-980-gph-/280678701755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159c11abb

Leo

Darrell Ward
05-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Well they are not cheaper, but the quality is unsurpassed, and that is the Eheim 1262. Dead silent, and energy efficient, you would love this pump. I've used different models of Eheim pumps for years, for everything from sump returns to water changing. Super tough, and very versatile pumps, they seem to never wear out.

cmich
05-17-2011, 01:38 AM
Thank you very much for both responses. I appreciate the help.

Blake

cmich
05-17-2011, 01:41 AM
heres a pretty good deal I like the quiet one pumps they are durable and energy efficient
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentair-Quiet-One-4000HH-Aquarium-Pump-980-gph-/280678701755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159c11abb

Leo

Leo,
How much water turnover would I get with this pump on a 90 gallon tank with a height of 4 and a half feet from the ground back to the tank? Thanks in advance.

Blake

Discus Origins
05-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Be careful with turnover rate...you don't want to create too much current in a discus tank so make sure you plumb in a flow restrictor valve to dial it in.

roundfishross
05-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Leo,
How much water turnover would I get with this pump on a 90 gallon tank with a height of 4 and a half feet from the ground back to the tank? Thanks in advance.

Blake

I dont know man. it will be more than enough. the hh model is made for high head pressure applications......Leo

cmich
05-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks I appreciate it. Time to get my sump back up and running.

Blake

cmich
05-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Leo,

I bought the pump that you linked for me. Is there supposed to be any sort of prefilter covering over the intake or do you submerge the pump as it is and just connect your tubing up from the top? What I received looks exactly like the picture on the link you gave me. I haven't ever used a pump that didn't have some sort of covering over the intake pipe. This one is threaded and seems like I am missing something. If anyone else can answer this question too I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Blake

andyl9063
05-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Leo,

I bought the pump that you linked for me. Is there supposed to be any sort of prefilter covering over the intake or do you submerge the pump as it is and just connect your tubing up from the top? What I received looks exactly like the picture on the link you gave me. I haven't ever used a pump that didn't have some sort of covering over the intake pipe. This one is threaded and seems like I am missing something. If anyone else can answer this question too I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Blake

normally, they're like that, you can get the tubing/strainer at hd or lowes to fit that threading.

jcardona1
05-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Quiet One pumps are great. I have two right now on my 190g discus tank. I leave them as-is, no strainer.

Scott293
05-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Blake,

I was in need of the same thing. I got a 1/3 hp sump pump brand new for $25. In this hobby craigslist should be your best friend. There are pond pumps, pond pumps with uv sterilizers, sump pumps, tanks with accessories, and just about anything we need, all for nearly nothing. As you know this hobby has a large turn over rate. And when people get out they are done with it all, and want it gone. Why pay retail prices when you can find it for a fraction of the price on craigslist.