PDA

View Full Version : Fake Lillypads

christian1971
05-17-2011, 03:42 AM
What do you think of adding a few fake lillypads to the aquarium surface? Fish can have a bit of shelter from the lights. You don't even notice the lillypads so it doesn't look tacky. I hate aquarium decoratives!!!

moon_knight1971
05-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Think they'd be a hassle as floating food might stick on it, bottom and/or top, but if you don't mind cleaning them then go for it.

Joey!

atitagain
05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Christian, another option is to use plants and it works great depending on the filter you are using. On my 75 I run twin AC70's and my 150 I use a C530 with a spray bar.

I bought Lee's Airline Holders and some decent looking plastic plants. I took the base off the plant and stuck them in the suction cups. On my 150 I put them above the spray bar and it knocks down the flow and makes the light in the tank real subtle. They move around so they stay pretty clean except for the algae which my BN cleans up.

On the AC70 I just put them on the outflow.

The fish in both tanks seem to like the softer lighting and feed out of the plants when food gets trapped. It's good for a reserve snack and every once and a while a piece floats down for the guys to enjoy.

Darrell Ward
05-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Fake plants look fake. I've used them, but I prefer water lettuce, or frogbit. You only have to throw them in, and remove some occasionally to keep them from covering the entire surface if you have good lighting. With weaker lighting, they grow much slower. Great at absorbing nitrate out of the water as well. They are really cheap at any place that sells water garden plants.

Discus Origins
05-17-2011, 03:04 PM
+1 on frogbits...or actually get yourself some tiger lilies. I have both and they work great.

gerrard00
05-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I wish I could get Frogbit to work in my tank, but it never seems to make it. It looks great for a while, starts to grow really cool looking roots and reproduce, but then eventually disappears. I don't know if it's a water flow issue or the fact that my lighting is directly on top of the tank.

I finally gave up on it and now I just float a piece of watersprite attached to my spray bar. It grows like crazy, disperses the flow a bit and my guys love to hang out under it.

Darrell Ward
05-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I wish I could get Frogbit to work in my tank, but it never seems to make it. It looks great for a while, starts to grow really cool looking roots and reproduce, but then eventually disappears. I don't know if it's a water flow issue or the fact that my lighting is directly on top of the tank.

I finally gave up on it and now I just float a piece of watersprite attached to my spray bar. It grows like crazy, disperses the flow a bit and my guys love to hang out under it.

Just guessing, but it could be a humidity issue. I've heard others say if you have tops that allow a big buildup of humidity inside, that frogbit will die out.

yetchy
05-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Fake plants look fake. I've used them, but I prefer water lettuce, or frogbit. You only have to throw them in, and remove some occasionally to keep them from covering the entire surface if you have good lighting. With weaker lighting, they grow much slower. Great at absorbing nitrate out of the water as well. They are really cheap at any place that sells water garden plants.

Is there a scientific name for either of those? I was looking for some "macro algae" equivalent for fresh water
Thanks
Jeff

Darrell Ward
05-18-2011, 09:47 PM
water lettuce - pista statiotes
frogbit - limnobium laevigatum

yetchy
05-19-2011, 12:07 AM
water lettuce - pista statiotes
frogbit - limnobium laevigatum

Thanks