PDA

View Full Version : Robo-quarium

tiggert
05-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi folks,

I am working on a design for a Discus "Robo-quarium" that I will be posting design notes and photos soon as it progresses. I have most of the parts purchased and the basic design done in my notebook. Will post updates to the thread as time permits!

Basics:
I love and have kept discus off and on for nearly 20 years. But my life and work keep me moving, so more than once I've had to fire sale my children and restart. Work travel has been a bummer for keeping the fish, so I've decided to build a system that would automate some of the normal tasks, and hopefully could keep a tank running for several weeks should I be out of town that long.

Version 1.0:
90 gallon square tank
Arduino micro controller
Linux computer talking to the Arduino hosting a web page with data updates
Temperature monitoring
Automated water changes
Automated feeding
Webcam

Version 1.1:
Emergency systems (Autodetect power outage and switch tank into "keep alive" mode)

Version 2.0:
Microdosing of replacement water
PH monitoring/Adjustments

Anyway, that is the plan, will start to layout details in later posts, as well as any code I generate for the Arduino

ericatdallas
05-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Oh, I thought you had done it already...

are you developing your own board or are you going to use a commercially available development board (if so, which one?).

tiggert
05-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Oh, I thought you had done it already...

are you developing your own board or are you going to use a commercially available development board (if so, which one?).

I am using the Arduino Uno as my controller board. I have a small home built computer that will talk to the Arduino via USB, and will be keeping the time/date info via the computer, as well as using the computer to host a informational web page.

The current design is some simple python scripting on the computer, with simple script code on the Arduino that "reacts" to messages from the computer code, such as:

Read Temp
Lights On
Lights Off

The Arduino isn't doing anything but listening to the serial port (USB) for these messages, then executing the routine and posting results back to teh serial port. This way the computer side via Python can update fields on the web server.

zinfin
05-19-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to invent the "roomba" equivalent for the aquarium. You know, a little underwater robot tank sweeper that would automatically patrol the bottom of the tank every so often, vacuuming as it goes and then return to its corner and go back to sleep.

DiscusOnly
05-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Just curious.

Have you look into something like the aqua controller by Neptune. You can do a lot of automation and monitoring with such devices already.

Van

ericatdallas
05-19-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to invent the "roomba" equivalent for the aquarium. You know, a little underwater robot tank sweeper that would automatically patrol the bottom of the tank every so often, vacuuming as it goes and then return to its corner and go back to sleep.

They make something like that for pools. I doubt it can pick up anything too small, but it's a start. The trick now is to miniaturize it...

Just curious.

Have you look into something like the aqua controller by Neptune. You can do a lot of automation and monitoring with such devices already.

Van

I don't want to speak for tiggert's motivation, but I had been thinking about this for some time as well. Part of the appeal is just for fun... it's combining two hobbies together AND you save some money (maybe?) in the meantime. I think what would be awesome is forming some kind of open source community to develop this project. I think the problem is that the fish hobbyist group is small (and growing smaller) and the percentage that are into electronics is a smaller subset of that group :(

tiggert
05-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Eric you are correct. I am a self classified uber nerd and at heart lazy (actually travel alot with my work) so the core reason behind this project was to have the experience of doing such a build myself and knowing how to fix it if it breaks!

I have recently done a partial home automation project, it works very well, which led me to this idea.

Zinfin, I actually had one of the pool cleaners, and it isn't a bad idea, especially for a bare bottom tank...hmmmm..(nerd wheels turning)

ericatdallas
05-19-2011, 05:12 PM
tiggert, will you be sharing the design/code? If you are able to build the framework (i.e. the controller, base software, etc) I wouldn't mind contributing to adding on accessories (i.e. just throwing random idea since you were asking about them - a computer/web controlled auto-feeder).

I probably won't be able to even start work on my own system for a couple of years (if ever!).

Cambik
05-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Hmmmm....now this has me interested....

DiscusOnly
05-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Eric you are correct. I am a self classified uber nerd and at heart lazy (actually travel alot with my work) so the core reason behind this project was to have the experience of doing such a build myself and knowing how to fix it if it breaks!

I have recently done a partial home automation project, it works very well, which led me to this idea.

Zinfin, I actually had one of the pool cleaners, and it isn't a bad idea, especially for a bare bottom tank...hmmmm..(nerd wheels turning)

I can't disagree on the fun factor of designing and building something like this. Only reason why I recommended looking at the Aquacontroller is that part of of you are trying to accomplish has been built and in mass production. There are lots more that can be done to improve what's avaible on the controller already. If your goal is the process of building from scratch.. can't argue with doing it your way.

I've tried using my automated tank for discus but found that it took the fun away from the discus hobby itself. I feel that if I am not vaccuming the bottom of the tank and changing the water on at least 2-3 times a week, I lose the connection with the fish.

tiggert
05-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Hey vlam,

Totally agree. I enjoy the 25-30 min of WC a day. Nice break from the hectic life and Atlanta area traffic! I had discus in the past that would rub on me like a bunch of cats while my hands went in the water. It was pretty cool! I still plan on doing that, but the focus would be more tank cleaning, not daily water changes. Plus this is going to be my "show tank", the fish room tanks will still need regular maintenance. I was hoping to cut back on show tank work to maybe just once a week....yet still be able to do massive water changing...

This hobby offers lots of cool potentials no matter what you like to do!

tiggert
05-20-2011, 02:21 PM
EricT,

I plan on posting on this thread all code, designs, diagrams and pictures as this evolves! Anyone is welcome to use or comment as they see fit!

Len
05-20-2011, 10:13 PM
This will be a very interesting thread to follow. I've been thinking of this type of project for some time. Have you looked at the Hydra project? It seems pretty similar to what you are wanting to implement

http://hydra-reef.com/wiki/Home

tiggert
05-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Indeed, the hydra project is very close to what I've been designing, and in fact almost went that route. But one difference is I have a computer in my display fish room acting as various server type of thing (House automation) and thought I would use it to control the Arduino directly instead of using a Real Time Clock and trying to make the arduino do everything internally. Both methods are valid, I just happened to have a 15' long USB cable already :-)

ericatdallas
05-21-2011, 12:23 AM
I haven't seen the hydra project. I might have to spend some time and read up on it. Thanks Len.

ericatdallas
06-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Okay, I'm totally on the Arduino bandwagon. I've been out of the scene for a while, so didn't know how much this had developed. All I have to say is WOW, a lot has happened in the last couple of years. I was going to start working on some stuff from scratch (like the good old days) but this is amazing what's available in terms of hardware and support out there!

Not to mention price! In the past, you would have to spend $100-150 on a development board.

yim11
06-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I look forward to seeing this project progress. I did home automation years ago using x10 devices and scripted everything in CGI/Perl (that should tell you how many years ago it was! LOL). Incorporated voice recognition and commands into it and its been running great for years, can't recall the last time I had to manually turn on outdoor or den lights!

Good luck!
-jim

ericatdallas
06-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I look forward to seeing this project progress. I did home automation years ago using x10 devices and scripted everything in CGI/Perl (that should tell you how many years ago it was! LOL). Incorporated voice recognition and commands into it and its been running great for years, can't recall the last time I had to manually turn on outdoor or den lights!

Good luck!
-jim

Nice, if you plan on upgrading you might consider insteon. I remember reading they were backwards compatible with X10 and there's some nice new features. I was planning on wiring my house with Insteon but my wife talked me out of it. We move a lot, so it isn't worth the trouble she said, and she's right...

The arduinos save a lot of development time. I thought a lot of the stuff I was goign to have to do from scratch, which would make this a 'retirement' project. I used to be a decent Perl programmer, I had to write scripts for work for data mining. Now it's a lot more reasonable to work on it now. I'll have to check out that other open source arduino aquarium proejct and see what they've done.

I'm sure when we finally settle down, home automation will be a very simple wireless kit that you get at Walmart for $49.99 though and it'll be pretty standard. :)

I do hate turning off the lights before bed after reading and would love to have it programmed to turn off with my TV remote.