PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hatch N Feed in tank shrimp hatchery

Scott293
05-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Has anyone tried the Tom Hatch N Feed brine shrimp hatchery?

I thought that was quite interesting. You hang it in the tank and without contaminating your tank with salt water or shrimp egg shells they swim into your tank as they hatch, feeding your fry automatically.

Also I read about a test done in hatching shrimp in fresh water, no salt. Just as many hatch and they don't die when added to your fresh water tank from salt water.

ericatdallas
05-22-2011, 04:22 PM
"freshwater" brine shrimp hatching? Are you talking about this link, http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/brineshrimp.htm? If so, his source is from sodium bicarbonate instead of sodium chloride. I don't know though... but there doesn't seem to be any difference to me from adding sodium chloride and adding sodium bicarbonate as far as work is concerned. I guess it would be very useful though if the NaHCO3-hatched BBS stayed alive longer.

I haven't used the hatchery before but it does sound interesting. I would be curious if anyone else has experience with this. I usually don't look too much into those things because I have amzing success with table salt, glass jug, thermometer, cloth and a heater...

laborelch
05-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Has anyone tried the Tom Hatch N Feed brine shrimp hatchery?

I've used it and went straight back to the soda bottle/Jehmco setup. Save your money.

roundfishross
05-22-2011, 08:53 PM
I have been told it doesnt produce enough bbs to feed the fry.

April
05-22-2011, 10:35 PM
I'd have to see a pic but I had one and it made bubbles etc and all the babies were attracted to it and left the parents. They got inside etc and the whole hatch lost. Last time I used it.it could be a different one

Scott293
05-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Good enough, I think I'll not be trying it. The liter bottle always worked fine for me. I just thought the constant food supply and less work sounded nice. One of those to good to be true things I guess. It does sound like a good idea. Maybe a bit of work to make it better.

ericatdallas
05-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Good enough, I think I'll not be trying it. The liter bottle always worked fine for me. I just thought the constant food supply and less work sounded nice. One of those to good to be true things I guess. It does sound like a good idea. Maybe a bit of work to make it better.

I think the best innovation to come to brine shrimp hatching was the decapsulated egg.