PDA

View Full Version : discus behavior

zchauvin
05-24-2011, 04:34 PM
My six discus just now all got in a group, start moving bodies in a quick swimming motion or " swinging of tail" without moving then started to so to speak kiss each other. Two different sets of fish did this while the others watched lol. Any ideas?

Hsunami
05-24-2011, 05:34 PM
like lip to lip? or lip to body? most likely they are going through their hierarchy transition right now (Pecking order). The lip to lip is probably two dominate ones going at it. Eventually one is going to cave in.

zchauvin
05-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Yes lip to lip lol and they had 4 doing it. They are always kinda nagging at one another just had never seen them do that before

moon_knight1971
05-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Yup they are establishing the pecking order

Joey!

zchauvin
05-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Good deal, have had for three days and are eating out my hand lol, is there any way to over feed these things?? They literally never get full

Hsunami
05-24-2011, 06:22 PM
From what I see from my juvies they know when they are full. They will keep pecking then ull see them slow down then move away. They are way smarter than goldfish who keep eating even when full. Then when they hungry again they come back.

moon_knight1971
05-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Good deal, have had for three days and are eating out my hand lol, is there any way to over feed these things?? They literally never get full

If their bellies are well rounded then you can stop lol

Joey!

zchauvin
05-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Haha well they are nice and fat indeed. Can you guys tell me- two are smaller than the other four, do I keep them in growout longer than others or not necessary?? How big should they be before moving to main tank? Do I just scoop em up and put them in my 75? Two are 2.5" and four are more 3-3.5. Also in my growout after I feed bloodworms my water gets cloudy, just the filler? My two filters have filter pads with carbon, is this a problem? Thanks guys

zchauvin
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Bump :)

moon_knight1971
05-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Haha well they are nice and fat indeed. Can you guys tell me- two are smaller than the other four, do I keep them in growout longer than others or not necessary?? How big should they be before moving to main tank? Do I just scoop em up and put them in my 75? Two are 2.5" and four are more 3-3.5. Also in my growout after I feed bloodworms my water gets cloudy, just the filler? My two filters have filter pads with carbon, is this a problem? Thanks guys

I would just move them all but you can experiment and leave the 2 in the growout tank for durations of a week or 2 and feed them lots of beefheart. You'll get lots of mixed info regarding carbon. The popular idea nowadays is that carbon may contribute to Hole in the Head in discus if constantly used.

Joey!

kaceyo
05-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I would leave them all in growout for awhile and keep up with the more frequent wc's I do o growouts.
I don't know why the water would cloud up when feeding FBW's. If anything, bloodworms should be one of the least likely foods to cause that problem. Cloudy water is usually a sign that the biofilter is not keeping up or a bacterial/algea bloom.

zchauvin
05-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Well I have two ooold filters and I changed one of the pads with a new one and then right after is when I saw water. I do 50% wc everyday and siphon food/poop every chance I can. I will prob buy new fluval c series HOB and put filter floss with no carbon. How big should 6 get in 29 bb before I remove??

Hsunami
05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
it will also help if you buy a pre filter and throw it on there too.

I use something like this and put it over my intake.

http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Prefilter-Filter-2227-2229/dp/B001EUG4N2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1306350351&sr=8-9

Just to be safe so you don't get left over food going into your filter.

chuckbam
05-25-2011, 03:55 PM
From your video, it looks to me that you may have a little too much water current for a discus tank. I would try pointing that output flow at the glass and see if that reduces it some.

zchauvin
05-25-2011, 04:11 PM
From your video, it looks to me that you may have a little too much water current for a discus tank. I would try pointing that output flow at the glass and see if that reduces it some.

It's two HOB on the growout :/ the 75g with the two canisters push the flow along just the water surface no where's else.

zchauvin
05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
it will also help if you buy a pre filter and throw it on there too.

I use something like this and put it over my intake.

http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Prefilter-Filter-2227-2229/dp/B001EUG4N2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1306350351&sr=8-9

Just to be safe so you don't get left over food going into your filter.
lol, I get lots of it in my filter pads. I just rub off gently in old water during wcs.

Hsunami
05-25-2011, 04:34 PM
if its the 75 for the cainsters get a spraybar. It'll be the best to lower current. As for the HOB i have no idea. Maybe you can plug up the intake valve a bit with a pebble or something so not that much flow is going through.

zchauvin
05-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Have spraybar :) idk about the HOB. I'll prob just buy new one tbh