PDA

View Full Version : PH Question

christian1971
05-24-2011, 08:17 PM
I know several of you stated that I shouldn't be worried about my ph----which is well above 7.6. This is water that has been in my tank for almost a week. Appears to be same as immediately from tap. So I don't appear to have any fluctuations. Fair to say that I shouldn't be concerned about the high ph. Why do books, mags. stress the danger of high ph stressing discus?

discuspaul
05-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Well, the evidence of actual experience by a very large number of discus keepers over the past 10 years or so clearly indicates that a steady, stable pH of 7.5 or above, up to 8.0, is in no way detrimental to discus. They thrive in those ranges, breed, and do as well, as in pH ranges from 6.0 to 7.0.
So I for one don't believe there is anything to be concerned about if your normal pH is 7.5 or above.

Keith Perkins
05-24-2011, 08:41 PM
I agree with Paul, which is nothing new, a stable pH is the key.

ericatdallas
05-24-2011, 08:43 PM
I have a spreadsheet of the water parameters for the amazon river and a good portion of the river has an average pH over 7 to 7.4. I would have to assume their testing methods have higher precision and accuracy than home test kits too.

When I have the time, I'm going to try to map the testing stations to a map with where Discus are found... but I am quite deficient in South American Geography... so it might take a while.

I can send you (or anyone the spreadsheet) if you PM me your e-mail.

Skip
05-24-2011, 08:53 PM
domestics are probably so far removed from the AMAZON GENE POOL> they are probably very happy in TAP water..

wilds, maybe not so much.. :)

ericatdallas
05-24-2011, 09:02 PM
domestics are probably so far removed from the AMAZON GENE POOL> they are probably very happy in TAP water..

wilds, maybe not so much.. :)

Agreed... I was just pointing it out (in an incomplete thought) that if wilds can handle the higher pH range (up to 7.4) then there's really no worries with pH 7.6 for domestics.

Also, the original breeders/book authors probably were dealing with wilds and probably had much better success with the lower pH. There's also another thing to consider... the breeders that were disciplined enough handle the water chemistry to create a lower pH probably also were advanced enough to keep it stable and clean enough, therefore confounding their success with the pH. They may have needed to do a lot of WC to keep a consistent lowered pH (and hence cleaner water at the same time).

I don't know, but my fish are happy with my 7.0-7.2 pH :)

Skip
05-24-2011, 09:05 PM
low ph is a myth started by the PH BUFFER Makers LOL!!!

ericatdallas
05-24-2011, 09:08 PM
hehe, I actually buy that...

I'm convinced so is "aquarium" salt (both the aquarium and salt part).

3dees
05-25-2011, 08:43 AM
don't believe everything you hear or read. I have wilds in 7.6 ph for over a year and they are as healthy as any discus out thier. I have never treated them for anything. wc's from the tap with prime. breeding is a different story but only for wilds. domestics are fine in your water.