PDA

View Full Version : Health of wild discus

Disgirl
05-25-2011, 07:27 PM
I am seeing so many posts about wild discus and their health problems these days. I have never had wilds. But with all I read here concerning their health issues, I am now afraid to ever get any. So, my question is, do all wild discus come with "issues" that need to be treated by various means? Experts, please let me know. Thanks!
Barb

Discus-n00b
05-25-2011, 07:43 PM
I haven't had any problems with mine, apart from one going off food. Finally showing some interest again. Otherwise mine seem healthy as ever. Perhaps its the source or failure to acclimate properly? I haven't noticed an increase in problems, maybe I'm blind hehe. I never wormed mine or anything coming in, didn't feel the need to and if I don't see the need I don't want to mess with it. When I noticed symptoms that resembled flukes (seemed to be the reason that one went off food) I treated with Prazi Powder and now everything is back to normal. Fish never were in danger or lost their color, did it more like a preemptive strike.

I wouldn't be afraid of wilds because some others are having problems, could easily be on their end. All fish carry some sort of nasties, they are just kept at a tolerable level. Once they exceed that level, thats when problems really start. Just know and trust the source, as well as have a "first aid kit" handy just incase.

YSS
05-25-2011, 09:06 PM
I've had easier time with wilds than domestic discus.

mteel7237
05-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I've purchased two wilds from Hans over the past year and both are doing great. No problems at all. Actually, they are my best eaters and most friendly of all my discus.

William Palumbo
05-25-2011, 09:43 PM
As with domestics...WHO you get them from is important. I also feel they are more hardy than domestics as well...Bill

Discus Origins
05-26-2011, 08:34 AM
No problems with wilds besides shipping a little rougher. I do a very regimented de-worm and de-fluke program on all new arrivals and have never lost a single WC (except when I killed a group with muriatic acid). I find them once settled in much easier and less problematic than domestics.

Disgirl
05-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies, now I see that wilds don't necessarily come with probs. and if they do they can be treated. But it is a surprise to me to hear that wilds are easier than domestics. I would have thought the opposite is true. And another thing I was wondering about wilds, when they are caught, how do the catchers, the exporters, importers, etc. know how old the fish is? Could be 6 mo. or a few years. I would like to know if I was spending $50-100 or more, on a young fish or an old one with not much life left in it. Maybe some of the ill wilds we see here on SD are just old fish? And an old fish in the wild may be 2 years, and a 2 year old domestic, like mine, is not old at all IMO. Speaking of old, my oldest fish now is a Festivum who is over 15 yrs. and still going strong in my angel tank.
Barb

Discus Origins
05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Barb, there is really no way to find out for sure how old the wilds are. Wilds do grow slower than domestics, and most of the WCs I've seen come in the 5-6in range which would put them around 14-18 months based on my experience raising F1s from spawn to adult under optimum conditions in about 12 months. You will see some young adults sold every once in a while in the 4in range and those are usually the prior rainy season spawns and that would put them about 9 months old estimating the time between start of raining season and dry seasons. I would probably stay away from fish that are over 6 in as that may indicate older fish....but of course there will be certain exceptions such as the Solomon/Curai that seem to grow very large normally.

Moon
05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I've been keeping Heckles now for about 3 years and more recently Solomons and Curuai from Dale's collection. All are doing well with no issues.
Some thing to note is that when wilds do fall ill, they should be treated quickly. The symptoms appear and they die very quickly.

Disgirl
05-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for additional info. Mark and Moon. Wonder why wilds die quicker than domestics when ill? Seems like they would be hardier, since they had been living in the wild instead of a tank with lower water quality, and other possible problems going on?
Barb

YSS
05-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks for additional info. Mark and Moon. Wonder why wilds die quicker than domestics when ill? Seems like they would be hardier, since they had been living in the wild instead of a tank with lower water quality, and other possible problems going on?
Barb

This has not been my experiences with wild fish. My wild discus do not die quicker from illness than domestic strains.

Melissa
05-27-2011, 04:49 AM
My first thought is like with most wild animals that rely on instincts, they often do not show signs of injury or illness so they don't get singled out or preyed upon... maybe by the time you are finally seeing symptoms of an illness its too late so they appear to die quicker? Lol just typed what popped into my head... Nobody listen to me....

Disgirl
05-28-2011, 03:55 PM
That is a possibility Melissa. I do know that in the wild a sick animal usually doesn't last long. Mammal or fish, same. At the aquarium where I work we are raising a very rare white sea turtle. It was a sickly baby at the bottom of the nest of eggs on the beach and would have died soon, since it was sick and white, albinos don't do well in the wild and since it was sick it would not have lived. Human intervention sure has it's place in the wild world.
Barb