PDA

View Full Version : White film

christian1971
05-27-2011, 05:42 PM
My aquarium has been running for exactly one week. It is still cycling. My tank has a white thin film on many areas of the glass, including heaters, tubing, thermometers. It comes of with a scratch pad. Is this a part of the cycling process? Aside from the ammonia, I have not added any other chemicals. The ammonia is safe and contains no soaps.......Water is not cloudy------yet. I did use Safe to dechlorinate the water. I have extremely hard water, but I don't think this is hard water issue. Is it a type of bloom? Please help. I am not making any water changes and letting it run its course.

Jhhnn
05-29-2011, 08:24 PM
It's probably the beginnings of the beneficial bacteria you want. They'll colonize any surface where they obtain food, water, warmth & oxygen. The white film & algae are the reasons we need to wipe down the tank insides periodically for aesthetic reasons. It's not really harmful at all.

DiscusBR
05-30-2011, 04:10 PM
As John says, this white film is not harmful. It is also very common in tanks that are going through cycling. I just went through a 6-week cycling in my 80g tank and I had the same film. It will disappear eventually, especially after the first water changes that you do when the cycling is over.

DonMD
05-30-2011, 06:32 PM
As you've just begun the cycling process, it would be interesting to learn what your ammonia readings are. I did a fishless cycle, and found that water changes were helpful. I initially had ammonia reading off the charts since I put too much ammonia in, so I changed water and brought the level down within reason. So, after wiping down the interior surfaces, do a w/c, and see where you are with the white film and the ammonia. Good luck! -Don

christian1971
05-31-2011, 01:40 AM
Tempting as that sounds, I will just let the tank run its course. It is improving ever so slightly day by day.