PDA

View Full Version : Spawning trio

dpete9
05-28-2011, 10:22 AM
I have two sisters who paired off. They were laying eggs every 2 days and eating them. that's when I realized they were both females. so I put one of my males in with them and they both paired off with him. Yesterday they both laid eggs on opposite sides of the cone and he fertilized both bunches of eggs. The male primarily guards the one batch of eggs and one of the females guards the other batch of eggs. The other female just swims in the corner of the tank. The male occasionally goes to the other batch to fan them and then that's when the female in the corner takes over guarding the her batch of eggs. I think this is so cool, but at the same time a bit pessimistic of the end results.
My camera batteries are dead right now, but when they get charged I will post a video.

Anybody have any ideas what the outcome will be?
lots of eaten eggs? Eaten Fry? Two batches of fry swimming amongst three parents?

Skip
05-28-2011, 10:40 AM
pretty cool!

Larry Bugg
05-28-2011, 10:48 AM
The safest thing to do would be to remove the female in the corner. The other female would probably take on both batches. I would love to see the outcome of the trio but it is a gamble. But then again it is all a gamble.

dpete9
05-29-2011, 10:03 AM
I should have listened, but they spawn non- stop anyways I just wanted to see what would happen.
Well....... jealousy prevailed and the female in the corner had all of her eggs eaten. Now the male and the female are both guarding the one clutch of eggs. time to find a new partner for the one female.

rdiscus
05-29-2011, 12:34 PM
interesting ... but good to know spawning trio doesn't work out ...

wendy9722
05-29-2011, 05:55 PM

+1

mmorris
05-29-2011, 09:13 PM

This time. :)