PDA

View Full Version : Dechlorinator before/during/after adding water? A device to end that debate?

ericatdallas
05-29-2011, 01:56 PM
So in another thread (and this thread really can be any number of water change threads), we were discussing dechlorinating water out of tap straight into tank.

That gave me an idea... what about those fertilizer/weed poison systems that inject liquid fert/poison into the garden hose as you're watering?

So I did a quick google and this is the first device I found. http://www.sprinklersuperstore.com/en-us/dept_52.html

With proper calculations, you could create a solution for it that it'll dechlorinate your water as it exits your hose?

Not sure if anyone else has thought of it, but I think it could work.

This device would also have a use in auto-water changers that directly connect to the tap line.

wendy9722
05-29-2011, 05:53 PM
I just put the prime into the tank before I put the tap water into the tank and be done. I dont see a need for something like that. Sorry but thats just me.

ericatdallas
05-29-2011, 09:20 PM
I just put the prime into the tank before I put the tap water into the tank and be done. I dont see a need for something like that. Sorry but thats just me.

no that's what I do too.... but some people seem a little more cautious than we are. I don't know what the cost is, but I think I"ve seen them pretty cheap at Home Depot. I was actually thinking it might be better as a fertilizer system for planted tanks than as a dechlorinator.

MKD
05-30-2011, 01:59 PM
i think it's better to turn off filter to avoid any amount of water entering filter and damage beneficial bacteria.

ericatdallas
05-30-2011, 02:49 PM
I turn off my filter anyway because I don't want to have to prime my canister after a WC. My HOB makes the clicking noise, so I also shut that down. I have a switch that turns everything off actually.

I guess the idea kind of sucks. :P It's totally worthless for the way I do water changes, but I thought it might be a good idea for those that like to mix their water first with dechlor before putting it in their tanks or those people who do drops every few minutes as the water is coming out. It provides a constant mixing as the water is coming out before it hits the tank, so you -might- reduce the amount of exposure to chlorine for your fish without having to age.

That being said, I actually might invest in a 55G water storage barrel. I found some used for $15 on CL and having one for my growout tank especially during winter might be a good idea since tiny juvies are more sensitive.