PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Tink
05-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi everyone, i am new to this and i love the beautiful world of discus keeping.
I have been trying to learn and keep discus now for all most a year and a half.
I have 2 four foot tanks and just set up a five foot for more discus,lol i am hooked.
would love some help on what you think about kh with discus.
This forum is great, still trying to learn as much as i can so i dont fail these beautiful kings of the aquarium.
Thankyou

wendy9722
05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Welcome to the family

discusmurderer
05-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi, And welcome to you!, Nice to meet another adict of these beutifull fish, i am an adict of 20 yrs. Daryl is the name !
This forum is very helpfull and is full of everything u need to know. just do a search or ask any question. bye for now!

mmorris
05-30-2011, 08:20 PM
A kh of about 5 is good to keep the water buffered. If you don't have that, you can add baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Watch your ph closely.

KEWX
05-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Welcome! Don't forget to post pictures when you get your discus.

discolicious
05-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Welcome.. so much to learn, and it never ends! If you get a chance, write something about yourself in the "introduce yourself" thread.

Tom

Tink
05-31-2011, 06:23 AM
Sorry to ask a silly question , but where do i introduce myself? i havent got the hang of this yet lol.

Elite Aquaria
05-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Tink,

Welcome to Simply Discus. I am a moderator here so feel free to contact me if you need any help. Introductions can be made in the general section or here is fine.

MSD
05-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Trying to buffer your water, or chasing PH, is a waste of time unless you are a breeder. Use your tap water if it isn't too extreme and acclimate the fish to your water. Dan can help you with all of this plus he sells amazing discus. Good luck.

Discus-Hans
05-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Sorry to ask a silly question , but where do i introduce myself? i havent got the hang of this yet lol.

Hi Tink,

if you've questions, you can always call me, 443 992 6972 and I can maybe walk you trough

Hans

mmorris
05-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Trying to buffer your water, or chasing PH,
They're not the same thing. The purpose of buffer is to enable the water to maintain a steady Ph, not to change it.

MSD
05-31-2011, 02:39 PM
I know silly, that's why I used a comma and the word "or". Please don't correct me, I don't play well with know it alls.

Skip
05-31-2011, 02:53 PM
I know silly, that's why I used a comma and the word "or". Please don't correct me, I don't play well with know it alls.

don't play well or know it alls?

or

don't play well with know it, alls?

LOL>.

j/k.. chill-ax ;)

MSD
05-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Haha, actually the grammar is fine, LOL.

I am chill, any more chill and they'll bury me. :>

Skip
05-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Haha, actually the grammar is fine, LOL.

I am chill, any more chill and they'll bury me. :>

:thumbsup:

Tink
05-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Thankyou, i am very limited here in tassy, you are pretty much on your own.
would love to have healthy discus and do the right thing by them, still trying to understand the kh as they need calcium but also not too much kh .?
there is o kh in my discus four foot tank.? slowly trying to raise it without my ph going through the roof.
Here in tassy you cannot order your own fish, you have to just keep going around the pet stores. no breeders that i know of either.
even when the fish get sick you are on your own. Theres not much so thats why i have been reading and trying to find a forum that may help me become a better discus keeper.
thankyou for all your replys.

MSD
05-31-2011, 07:53 PM
You'll get there, what is tassy by the way, i missed it? There is a product called discus buffer if you really want to add something, its made by Seachem.

Discus-Hans
05-31-2011, 08:21 PM
You'll get there, what is tassy by the way, i missed it? There is a product called discus buffer if you really want to add something, its made by Seachem.

Mark,

Tasmania I would think,

Hans

mmorris
05-31-2011, 08:27 PM
My interpretation based on how you wrote it is correct. Now, had you said: 'Trying to buffer your water, or to chase...' Then I would have understood your meaning. Play nice, MSD.

MSD
05-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Ah, got it, thanks Hans.:)

Discus-Hans
05-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Ah, got it, thanks Hans.:)

No problem Mark, lol

Hans