PDA

View Full Version : Should I add ammonia?

christian1971
06-01-2011, 10:34 PM
The ammonia is dropping slowly but surely. Is it necessary to add more ammonia even if it still shows green? The reason I ask is following. If I add ammonia up to say 5ppm should my filters be ready enough to cycle the ammonia faster then before. Or just add some once it reads zero? Thanks, Christian

Eddie Wells
06-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Christian Hi,
When it (ammonia) gets close to zero add back to 4 to 5ppm. It keeps reducing faster and faster till within a 24 hour period the ammonia will go from 4 or 5 ppm to 0 then you are cycled. Be sure to keeping checking your ph as sometimes it will go down quite a bit and sometimes it will rise quite a bit, either will slow down the cycling of your tank. If either of those happen do a 100% water change and add ammonia to 4 to 5 ppm. Hope this helps.

Eddie Wells

Sean Buehrle
06-04-2011, 10:56 PM
When your ammonia leaves the tank in 24 hours it means you have to start watching the nitrite, just because the bacteria responsible for removing ammonia is working it doesnt mean beans about the nitrite removing bacteria. Nitrite is deadly, and the bacteria reponsible for removing it takes awhile to biild up after the ammonia removing bacteria gets established. Keep an eye on it and have fun.

NITRITE not nitrAte.

discuspaul
06-05-2011, 11:37 PM
When your ammonia leaves the tank in 24 hours it means you have to start watching the nitrite, just because the bacteria responsible for removing ammonia is working it doesnt mean beans about the nitrite removing bacteria. Nitrite is deadly, and the bacteria reponsible for removing it takes awhile to biild up after the ammonia removing bacteria gets established. Keep an eye on it and have fun.

NITRITE not nitrAte.

Right on ! Agree.