PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a new tank

nasomi
06-02-2011, 09:52 AM
I've set up my 75g for discus. White sand, 2 pieces of driftwood, 4 pieces of slate with java moss on it, heater set to 84F, filled 75% RO 25% tap. Ph is 8.2. I put in 10 ghost shrimp and 15 neon tetra's for the cycle. I am putting in an automatic overflow, and attaching my RO system to run 24/7 for constant water changes, and dose kh and gh as needed. However being I'm new to discus, I'd appreciate any input or heads up about problems I might encounter. Thanks.

Northwoods Discus
06-02-2011, 10:40 AM
The constant flow of R/O is OK but you will still need water changes unless the flow from the R/O is many times greater than 75gal/day The mixing of the water decreases the % change. You may want cardinals rather than neons, they handle the higher temp better. Get adults rather than trying to grow out in that type of setup. Good luck and welcome to Simply.
Bill

nasomi
06-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the info. My RO system is 100 or 150gpd, i forget which. If I have it going around the clock, I would think that would be enough, wouldn't it? I was planning to go with mature discus, instead of trying to grow them.

Northwoods Discus
06-02-2011, 11:47 AM
The water change is diluted as it flows slowly. If you monitor parameters you will see if that is enough flow. May be better to use a storage barrel and do your changes all at once. Then you can reconstitute your minerals before the water goes into the tank. You may not need to use the R/O only. Some tap water can be mixed in to increase the minerals.

nasomi
06-02-2011, 01:24 PM
My concern about tap, and why I don't like to use it, is because my tap water's ph is over 9. That's the whole reason I got my RO system, bringing the tap water's ph down that far is a nightmare. Also, the tap and drain require a 50' 1/8" hose as they are really far away, storage barrel is kind of difficult with the location. For automatic water changes, I'd drill 2 1/8" holes in the floor and go to the basement to source water from my well instead of my inside water which is city. I could mount hte RO system under the house, have one fresh water line go up, a waste water line go down to the drain.

atitagain
06-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Water changes of some sort will be required to remove waste from the tank to keep you levels balanced.

And when you say and dose kh and gh as needed if your not using tap or RO waste what is your plan of attack?

Skip
06-02-2011, 01:37 PM
What is wrong with ur well water

nasomi
06-02-2011, 01:54 PM
My LFS has addetives that can raise kh and gh independently. I was hoping the plants would take care of most of the waste, leaving minor vacuuming that i can replace the water with 5g of distilled, or just let the RO system fill it up over the next few hours.

nasomi
06-02-2011, 01:55 PM
My well water is not suitable for human consumption due to a chemical spill by a local manufacturing plant. the RO system cleans it up though.

Skip
06-02-2011, 02:01 PM
yikes..!!!

nasomi
06-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah, it's a pain in the @#)%( my tap water has a ph of 9.2-9.6 and my well water is toxic, adding water without the RO system is avoided at all costs.

Skip
06-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, it's a pain in the @#)%( my tap water has a ph of 9.2-9.6 and my well water is toxic, adding water without the RO system is avoided at all costs.

have you thought about getting a Pet ROCK , they like to be in groups of 5 or more.. and they don't need any water :)

http://www.retro-cafe.com/70s/fads/pet_rock1.jpg

Northwoods Discus
06-02-2011, 02:31 PM
If you use sump filtration you have some water level lea way. If you get a large enough sump you can remove 10-20 gallons at a time and allow the R/O to fill during the day. Drill the overflow in the sump for safety. I have a 100 gallon tank with a 29 gallon sump DIY setup. The only thing in the 29 is the pump and heaters. The filtration system is built from a utility sink over the 29. I drain 20 gallons daily from the tank from the constant drip R/O. For my large changes I drain off 50 gallons or more 3-4 times weekly. So they are getting 2 10% water changes daily every day plus the large 50% changes 3-4 times/week. If you get a large sump you could do it that way. You do have to add minerals when using R/O so R/O Right or Replenish as needed. Then you wouldn't need to use your tap.
Bill

nasomi
06-02-2011, 03:16 PM
This came with my RO system:
freshwatersystems.com/p-3681-ro-water-storage-tank-32-gal-powder-coated-steel.aspx

But I don't know how to use it. It only has a thing on top and some sort of air fitting on the bottom. Has anyone seen one of these before?

atitagain
06-02-2011, 03:55 PM
That's for water storage unit if you're going to add a drinking water tap in the house.

discuspaul
06-02-2011, 07:43 PM
have you thought about getting a Pet ROCK , they like to be in groups of 5 or more.. and they don't need any water :)

http://www.retro-cafe.com/70s/fads/pet_rock1.jpg

Don't like to mess with the seriousness of this interesting post by nasomi, but I had to say that Skip keeps coming up with some great pieces of levity from time to time - actually quite hilarious stuff - and it's always a fun break in the action - love it !
Sorry to break the train of thought, nasomi.

nasomi
06-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Don't like to mess with the seriousness of this interesting post by nasomi, but I had to say that Skip keeps coming up with some great pieces of levity from time to time - actually quite hilarious stuff - and it's always a fun break in the action - love it !
Sorry to break the train of thought, nasomi.

I got a good chuckle too, no worries. It'd be easier to keep those critters than fighting my poor water conditions by far, that's for sure.

http://i.imgur.com/r6Uqxh.jpg

This is the tank I've set up for the discus. It has a rena xp3, 250w heater, 4 pieces of slate covered with mesh and under it is java moss, same with the one piece of driftwood at the top. Other than that it's pretty basic.

discuspaul
06-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Basic maybe, but it's still looking pretty good for discus. Get it going & post some pics for us to have a look-see.