PDA

View Full Version : Ok.. I cheated!

discolicious
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I've never had much luck with planted tanks.. especially with large discus. At the same time, I really like the touch of plant life. This is my compromise. It's still easy to clean, and the plants are the "kill me if you can" type. That's bamboo in the background, not technically an aquarium plant, but it's cheap, green and seems to hold up for a long time. The fish really enjoy hiding among the stalks and making tunnels.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj132/hilyete/tank4.jpg

LizStreithorst
06-02-2011, 06:21 PM
I like it a lot. It's spare in a good artistic way. Let us know how the bamboo holds up.

Cevoe
06-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Ditto that. I think it looks great.
Nice looking discus in there too, by the way.

DLock3d
06-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Why does everyone's sand always look so much whiter than mine? Is it the lighting or is there a special memo on awesome sand I missed?

discolicious
06-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys, it's minimalist but I really find it soothing. The fish seem very at ease too, and love going in and out of those big holes in the driftwood. The bamboo has been in there 3 weeks now, but at the cost, (10 bucks for that whole clump of about 30 pieces) I figure I'm better off replacing it every month than paying for the expensive plants that always die on me anyway. The sand is play ground sand from Lowes. I found it over in the concrete section. It does look very white under the lighting.

Tom