PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes!

mmorris
06-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Tornadoes hit my area yesterday, and one plowed a wide swath of damage so nearby that I can walk to it. Roads are, for the most part, all blocked, although I might be able to go south into Ct. I lost power, of course, and my neighbors guessed it would take a week to get it back on. The area is very rural, and so trees knocked down the lines all over. My inverter got me through the night and this morning I rented a generator and a truck to get it. I had a heck of a time finding a road to get back home on. I'm impressed that the power is back on this evening but I'm afraid to bring the generator back in case it goes back out. I was particularly worried because I'm on a well, so no electricity, no water. My heart goes out to those people I saw in the streets, in tears, because their homes had been destroyed. I haven't seen the worst of it because the roads were closed when I was out. This is very unusual for Massachusetts!

seanyuki
06-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Martha sorry to hear the bad news in yr area.....take care and prayers for u and yr family.

Rod
06-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Glad to hear you are safe Martha. :)

Darrell Ward
06-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Good luck Martha. Seems almost every day this spring someone is getting hit with a storm, and no one it seems is immune. Places that traditionally seldom if ever have tornadoes are getting hammered. Earthquakes, tsunamis, volcano eruptions, and tornadoes already this year, and hurricane season hasn't started yet!

wadewc
06-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Glad to hear you are okay. I heard you don't even have tornadoe warnings in Massachusetts. We have been having our share of tonadoes. Not to say we are use to it but is to be expected living in Oklahoma.The weather men are very good on keeping us informed. I will say no matter if you are or are not use to tornadoes it is heart wrenching to see what impact it has on victims.

Wade

calihawker
06-03-2011, 01:07 AM
We had one here in northern california yesterday too. Very very rare.

Steve

2075turner
06-03-2011, 01:19 AM
I heard this on the news today and made me wonder if all my friends were okay. I am glad to hear that you are Martha. I hope everyone else is safe and sound.

Amazonas
06-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Good luck from Norway..best wishes!

Vee
06-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Glad you are ok, Martha.

two utes
06-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Glad you made it o.k.
Saw the devistation of the 'Big' one that hit the other day. Total Devistation. Unbelievable!!

Scribbles
06-03-2011, 03:04 AM
I am sorry to hear of all that you are going through Martha but very glad to hear that you are ok.

Chris

mmorris
06-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks, all. Nice to see a Viking on board. :) What amazes me is how people can live in tornado-prone regions. Given the amount of devastation around here, I would think areas that see a lot of them would be devoid of trees and houses by now!

Skip
06-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks, all. Nice to see a Viking on board. :) What amazes me is how people can live in tornado-prone regions. Given the amount of devastation around here, I would think areas that see a lot of them would be devoid of trees and houses by now!

heck, here in Texas.. we get the tornado from the north and the hurricanes from the south..

ZX10R
06-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Lots and Lots of crazy weather patterns here lately. Glad you are K hope and everything gets back to normal soon for you.

Sean

Disgirl
06-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Glad to hear you are OK Martha. We had just what you did about 6 weeks ago near us. Way too close for comfort. Today is day 3 of our 6 month hurricane season, wonder what this year will bring. Take care and best wishes!
Barb

Skip
06-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Glad to hear you are OK Martha. We had just what you did about 6 weeks ago near us. Way too close for comfort. Today is day 3 of our 6 month hurricane season, wonder what this year will bring. Take care and best wishes!
Barb

DisG.. i grew up on the beach, as a kid hurricanes were just a good way to get out of school.. but now i am lot more leary of them! :) we have been luck in Tex that last couple of seasons... No Direct hits.. they have been south (Mexico) or East (LA, MI, AL).. but i did forget that the season started Jun 1!

Disgirl
06-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Unfortunately hurricane season is a whole long 6 months! June 1-Nov 30. Waaaay too long. Most of the bad ones seem to hit in Aug and Sept. We live just 30 miles inland, also way to close for comfort when one hits the NC coast. But this the price to be paid to live near the ocean I guess. Sounds like you have been lucky Skip! Martha, hope you don't get any more up there.
Barb

Cambik
06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
We would however love a good Tropical Storm and the large amounts of rain. That would help us here in Texas get out of this 2 year long drought. We had a Tropical storm last year that really helped but unfortunately only filled up the lakes. The main Lake here in Austin is Lake Travis and it is currently 20+ feet low. It is falling at a rate of about a foot a week. This is also the main water source for the city as well as other cities. I personally would love to see a nice long tropical storm. Of course don't want anyone to get hurt thought.

stephcps
06-03-2011, 09:30 AM
My family barely escaped the massive tornadoes in Alabama last month...I grew up with those things and constant tornado warnings...but nothing like the scale of the things that are showing up the last 6 months!! Glad you are OK and safe. I am just in West Hartford, CT....please let me know If there is anything you need....

Steph