PDA

View Full Version : ID my Discus?

Zoom
06-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Hey guys.. I was wondering what kind of Discus I had. The LFS didn't have these labeled but had a price tag.. Also, do they look healthy/normal?

rickztahone
06-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Virgin Red? the one on the left seems to have the best potential but they are not bad stock considering they are from an LFS

Zoom
06-05-2011, 02:24 AM
Virgin Red? the one on the left seems to have the best potential but they are not bad stock considering they are from an LFS

What do you mean by "best potential"?

cjr8420
06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
What do you mean by "best potential"?
they are all the same age prob so that one is the biggest least stunted

hedut
06-05-2011, 03:02 AM
those are kohaku or red white, they long kinda long shape :).

Zoom
06-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Does that mean these are stunted?!

Elite Aquaria
06-05-2011, 12:24 PM
As stated above those are Red White pigeon based discus. I think they look a little stunted but not bad. Petshops just don't feed and do the right amount of water change to keep discus that size for a long time.

deepflyball
06-05-2011, 12:48 PM
RED WHITES. Jerry

Zoom
06-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Okay, thanks everyone for the ID. I'm not really bummed with the fact that they're a little stunted.. I'll give them a better life than the LFS would and hopefully my work will pay off.

Chad Adams
06-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Okay, thanks everyone for the ID. I'm not really bummed with the fact that they're a little stunted.. I'll give them a better life than the LFS would and hopefully my work will pay off.

I think so too. Good luck with the red whites.
Chad

Zoom
06-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Oh.. I had a question.. Out of the 5 Discus I'm growing out.. the biggest one is the bully that seems to want to do noting but bite everyone.. Should I remove him, or will this behavior go away over time?

Melissa
06-05-2011, 05:48 PM
They're lucky you found them and gave them a great home Zoom! :) I think with proper care you'll have some nice discus on your hands some day :) :)

Melissa
06-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh.. I had a question.. Out of the 5 Discus I'm growing out.. the biggest one is the bully that seems to want to do noting but bite everyone.. Should I remove him, or will this behavior go away over time?

That's just discus for you... How long have you had them? He may just be trying to establish a pecking order in the tank and wants everyone to know he is the boss. I say if it isn't affecting the health of the others and they're all eating despite getting torpedoed every once in a while, i would leave him in the tank...
Another option you have if you want to space out the aggression a little better is to get more. In a larger group he will have more fellow fishes to bully so you can avoid it having an impact on the others as much.... HTH

Zoom
06-05-2011, 06:56 PM
They're lucky you found them and gave them a great home Zoom! :) I think with proper care you'll have some nice discus on your hands some day :) :)

Thanks! I'll try my best.

That's just discus for you... How long have you had them? He may just be trying to establish a pecking order in the tank and wants everyone to know he is the boss. I say if it isn't affecting the health of the others and they're all eating despite getting torpedoed every once in a while, i would leave him in the tank...
Another option you have if you want to space out the aggression a little better is to get more. In a larger group he will have more fellow fishes to bully so you can avoid it having an impact on the others as much.... HTH

I've just had them for about 3 days now.. They're eating out of my hands and come up to me when I approach the tank. The big guy seems to be biting everyone so I guess its a good thing he's not singling out anybody. I'll give him a couple more days and if things don't quiet down I'll just have to get a couple more Discus.(More to save lol)

strawberryblonde
06-05-2011, 07:38 PM
I have a bully too, seems like all groups of discus have one who wants to be the big boss. Mine doesn't pick on any one fish in particular, he just spreads it all around and it's usually during feeding time. They aren't particularly afraid of him so I don't think he's quite got the hang of intimidation yet!

Just this morning he got into it with my RT, who has grown larger than the "boss", and he ended up on the losing end (again...they do this about once a week). The RT is looking all proud of himself and the "boss" is sporting yet another fin tear.

So don't be surprised if one or two of your smaller fish start growing and decide to challenge the bully. So long as they are still eating well, aren't hiding constantly and feel secure enough to challenge the bully, things will be fine. =)