PDA

View Full Version : I saw Wild Peruvian Discus at a pet store this weekend (Chicago)...

ExReefer
06-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Much to my amazement, I saw wild discus for sale at Aquarium Adventure in Bolingbrook, IL. Some were 5”+ and a few were 4”. They looked like wild brown or green discus to me. Not really sure as I think many wilds look similar. Their colors were not great, but maybe they just arrived. They were lively and eating, but I thought some of them had thin foreheads.

Anyway, just thought I’d share this surprise. I’ve never seen wild discus for sale anywhere other than through the internet or private seller.

They were priced at $129 ea. or $99 for fish club members.

DiscusKev
06-06-2011, 11:46 AM
any pictures?

ericatdallas
06-06-2011, 12:25 PM
I have seen Wilds listed at one LFS before but they sold online too... I'm drawing a blank as to which one it was.

Aquarium Adventures here in Ohio was a ripoff for Discus. I can't remember how much it was, it was astronomical, but they were selling stunted tangerines (about 2", football shaped, big eyed monsters sprinkled with pepper) for over $100. I want to say $200 but I can't remember any more. I have it mentioned in another thread here. I've been meaning to go back to take pictures to show you guys.

My wife was floored because we had the same strain and ours were much bigger and healthier than what they were selling. Her seeing it helped a long way in convincing her of all the effort I put into the fish :)

I do think AA is pretty amazing though as far as LFS go. They have a large variety of fish and tons of equipment. They're prices are a bit steep but it works if you really need something QUICK that the big chains or small mom and pops don't have available. Also good for "different" fish when you just want a few and the shipping would cost more than picking it up at AA.

ExReefer
06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I’ve been to the AA in Columbus. It’s better than the AA’s in IL.

I’ll be honest, a few of the large wilds I saw yesterday seemed nearly worth the price tag of $99. Their domestic discus prices are high, but people buy them. Many people don’t know about internet sales for discus or pets in general. Or they don't trust it.

AA is by the far the best fish store around, but prices are high. If you into planted tanks, they have a decent selection. Any yes, sometimes they do have some rare fish. They clearly have some decent fish suppliers.

Sorry, no photos. I don’t have a camera phone.

ericatdallas
06-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Yea
I'll be honest, a few of the large wilds I saw yesterday seemed nearly worth the price tag of $99. Their domestic discus prices are high, but people buy them. Many people don’t know about internet sales for discus or pets in general. Or they don't trust it.

Yeah, I didn't really trust internet sales until recently. I was hesitatnt when I bought my first discus via CL. I got desperate though because at the time I was looking, M. Beals was out and I think he was actually out of town at the time, AND I really wanted discus so I took a risk. The LFS I went to actually told me not to buy his Discus. He had two 4+" for $65 (pretty reasonable for LFS) but he said they were deformed (kind of weird I know...). But $99 for Discus is pretty reasonable for a LFS ESPECIALLY AA.

AA is by the far the best fish store around, but prices are high. If you into planted tanks, they have a decent selection. Any yes, sometimes they do have some rare fish. They clearly have some decent fish suppliers.

Sorry, no photos. I don’t have a camera phone.

I wasn't impressed by their plant selection. Again, for LFS standards it was great, but I guess I'm spoiled from internet shopping. There was one here locally (they've since moved) that sold a huge variety of healthy plants really cheap.

I also saw a lot of dead fish in this AA. I was kind of surprised by this because it looked very well maintained. I would think their priority would be to remove dead fish. I automatically will not buy any fish from a tank if there are dead fish in it. No matter what. If I see a lot of dead fish in multiple tanks, I won't buy any from that store. ESPECIALLY if they're the typically hardy species...

YSS
06-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I have seen nice wilds in an LFS near Baltimore, MD. The place was House of Trocial at Glen Burnie, MD. They looked very nice, but it was over three years ago, and back then I didn't know much about wilds. They were very good sized and were priced at $79 each. I thgouth wow, these wilds are much cheaper than domestic strains.

ExReefer
06-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I also saw a lot of dead fish in this AA. I was kind of surprised by this because it looked very well maintained. I would think their priority would be to remove dead fish. I automatically will not buy any fish from a tank if there are dead fish in it. No matter what. If I see a lot of dead fish in multiple tanks, I won't buy any from that store. ESPECIALLY if they're the typically hardy species...

I know what you mean, but I think a lot of those AA deaths are from shipping stress and poor acclimation routines.

Wes
06-09-2011, 09:37 PM
I live a couple block away ran over and took some pics. They have been there about a month. 6697666975669776697866979
any pictures?

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 09:51 PM
They look pinched at the forehead. JMO I would want to see them eat. Probably better to get them from a sponsor.

Wes
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
sorry for the bad pics66980

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 10:14 PM
The tank looks clean. They are not frayed on the fins and they are at the front of the tank not frightened. Those are good points. They still look thin to me though. Maybe some wild experts can chime in.

DLock3d
06-09-2011, 10:21 PM
They also look active and not huddled in a corner. Still, I'll never buy Discus from anywhere other than a sponsor or a well known member. The advice and care that follows is more than worth the extra cost if there is any.

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I see you are getting some PW fish also. Can't wait for that thread to start.
Bill

DLock3d
06-09-2011, 10:28 PM
M
I see you are getting some PW fish also. Can't wait for that thread to start.
Bill

Me?

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Sorry yes DLock3d I noticed it posted in your signature.
Bill

DLock3d
06-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Yessir! I'm excited. I told Dan to surprise me with strain! He couldn't help but tell me one strain and red turqs were obvious. I'm still in the dark about the other three Discus.

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 10:40 PM
That makes it even more exciting opening the box to a surprise. I looked and added the last available RSS. I have 10 juvies coming, 4 browns and 6 RSG. Sorry about hijacking this thread. I guess it is kinda related. I love the look of wilds but am scared to try them yet. So the browns have that wild look without being wild.
Bill

ExReefer
06-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Yup, those are the ones I saw last weekend. I mentioned the pinched foreheads in my thread starter. I wouldn't buy them, but I did see them eat live blackworms. They need to be fattened up. I think you could probably still turn those fish around if they were purchased soon.

The wild browns I got from snookn21 back in Feb. looked much thicker and rounder. I'd go with John's wilds again without hesitation.

Here's a pic of my best wild brown for comparison purposes (and lame reason to show everyone my killer wilds :)):

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Still a cool find thanks for sharing with us.
Bill

Wes
06-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Nice fish. You have some great browns.
The ones at Aq Advent looked better then they look now, when they 1st came in.

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 11:38 PM
That is one beautiful fish.

ExReefer
06-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks. He's a beauty and I think he's pairing up with one of the others. If that happens, I'll be looking to sell off my other two in the near future.