PDA

View Full Version : Aging Barrel Question

kent1963
06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
I just acquired a 55 gal food grade plastic barrel that does not have a removable lid( it has 2 small threaded holes). Is there an easy was to cut off the top? I'm going to use a submersible water pump so I'll need to open it up. I wonder what tool I should use, any tips would be great. Kent

ericatdallas
06-07-2011, 03:00 PM
I've never done it, but I have a few ideas.

1) Dremel and an appropriate attachment.
2) Drill the largest hole you have a bit for and take whatever cutting device you have to cut outwards from it.
3) I don't like this idea b/c like i said, I haven't done it before, so I'm not sure how to estimate how safe this is but you could make four cuts into it with a circular saw and cut out a small-ish square.

ZX10R
06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I used a jig saw on mine cut out a 6" x 6" hole :)

ericatdallas
06-07-2011, 03:24 PM
uhmm, yeah, +1 on the jigsaw, I was actually thinking jigsaw as an option too but I forgot to mention it. :)

kent1963
06-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I was thinking dremal but the last time I used it on plastic it did more melting then cutting! The jig saw sounds like a good choice. I kinda want to remove the entire top for ease of cleaning though.

Northwoods Discus
06-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Circular saw may lead to less fingers.

Skip
06-07-2011, 05:52 PM

Duh.. no kidding LOL

atitagain
06-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Used a jig saw on mine and it worked out great.

reef-keeper
06-07-2011, 06:40 PM
jig saw or a reciprocating saw is the way to go! I used the rip saw on the one I did.

ericatdallas
06-07-2011, 08:46 PM

Duh.. no kidding LOL

hey, he didn't give constraints, he just wanted the job done. Some times to complete the mission you need to accept some casualties.

Sean Buehrle
06-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Yep a jigsaw or a sawsall works well.

Do yourself a favour and cut the top inside circle out and leave the rim,, they look so much better than just cutting the whole top off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atitagain
06-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Yep a jigsaw or a sawsall works well.

Do yourself a favour and cut the top inside circle out and leave the rim,, they look so much better than just cutting the whole top off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely do not cut off below the rim since it will weaken the barrel.

Bud
06-13-2011, 12:59 PM
I also used a jigsaw with a finecut wood blade and cut almost half of another barrel off welded it to another barrel to obtain a 95 gal barrel.for the top I cut a big triangle and left like 6" uncut at the top of the triangle which functions as a "hinge".awsome barrel.

Vince C
07-10-2011, 07:53 PM
The barrel reconditioning company I buy my barrels from cuts a hole just inside the rim, then cuts a circle from 1/8" sheet polyethelene for a cover and uses a barrel cover retaining ring to firm it all together. I then cut a rectangle into his cover and insert a aquarium hinge for access. When I want to wash out the barrel, I undue the retaining ring and remove the whole cover. A saw-all should work fast in cutting a hole in the cover.

jimg
07-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I just acquired a 55 gal food grade plastic barrel that does not have a removable lid( it has 2 small threaded holes). Is there an easy was to cut off the top? I'm going to use a submersible water pump so I'll need to open it up. I wonder what tool I should use, any tips would be great. Kent

sawzall or jig saw will work fine. cut inside the top rim a hole as big as you want (leave at least an inch from lip). then I cut 2" insulation board in a circle that fits snug against the inside rim and use as a lid

Jhhnn
07-11-2011, 06:15 PM
A jigsaw works great with a fairly coarse-toothed wood blade. Rips right thru PVC barrels. Drilling a starter hole just makes it easier. Bigger holes make it easier to clean when the time comes.