PDA

View Full Version : Trying to finalize on filtration choice

les2011
06-07-2011, 11:23 PM
I've had a 125 freshwater set up before and I've had almost every fish in the line up but this time I have a 135 gallon that I lucked up on for $60 and I want to go with a planted discus set up. My 1st issue is what type of filtration to go with, I've picked the brains of my LFS and one store said to go with two canisters and the other said wet dry. As far as lighting I'm looking to run LEDs which I found on Ebay starting at around $30 and I know I'm going to need so type of heater. If canister is your suggestion for this size tank which would be the best to go with and if your suggestion is wet dry I've been looking to get a Sicce 2.0 or 3.0 pump for the sump, but how many returns would you recommend because I've read that discus don't require alot of water flow? I also need a direction on what type of CO2 set up to go with. Tank mates I would like to go with are, a mix of cory cats, cardinal tetras, congo tetras regular and albino, long fin albino busy nose pleco, galaxy rasboras, a mix of swordtails, and some rainbows, and a variety of shrimp. I've always liked the community set up.

DonMD
06-08-2011, 08:05 PM
You've got a lot of questions there . . . You can probably find out lots of answers by going through the search function on this forum.

As for myself, I don't have a planted tank, so my answers may not suit. I have read that a sump may blow out any CO2 that you inject, but I don't really know. In my 125 gallon, I use an Eheim 126 and an Eheim 128 for filtration. The spray bars are located at the top of the tank, one on the side, and one on the back wall. For heaters I use two Hydor inline heaters, they're excellent. The flow from the canisters is fine, no problem for my fish, the flow just ruffles the surface of the water. The returns are in the corners. No CO2. Just sand substrate.

Good luck. -Don

discuspaul
06-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Sounds great - good luck with everything.
I'll just focus in on one point in your intended community tank set -up: just make sure that your galaxy rasboras and your shrimp (whatever kind they might be) are adult/mature enough, & of sufficient size not to end up as breakfast for your discus - (at least 1", or more, both species).