PDA

View Full Version : Transferring my Discus to a larger tank

pennex1
06-08-2011, 02:05 PM
I have 7 discus ranging from 3.5" to 2" in size. They are all in my 40 gallon tank because it is easier to do my daily 90% water change. At some point, i would like to put them into my 125 gallon tank that is already cycled. Currently, there are 20 Rummy Nose in the 125 and they are living like kings. I want to transfer the discus into the 125 gallon now but i fear that doing the water change will be more tedious with the larger tank since i feed them FBH and FBW. But i do want my Discus to grow bigger too. 40 gallons is only going to allow them so much growth. The Discus are between 4 month to 3 month in age. They are all eating well and battling with each other everyday.

What is your opinion? Should i wait a few more month?

thanks

Zoom
06-08-2011, 02:26 PM
With a 125, I think you should be able to get away with less water changes.. Not sure how much though.. And you probably payed a decent amount of money for your Discus, why not just get the max potential out of all of them by transferring them to the 125. Just my opinion.

Skip
06-08-2011, 03:27 PM
i kept several fish until they were 4" in my 30 gallon.. if you transfer fish that small into 125, it may freak them out.. think of them as little kids being taken out of kiddie pool and DROPPED into the deep end..

pennex1
06-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks Zoom, i see your point for sure. But i failed to mention that this bunch of Discus i have are not top quality. I bought it from a local breeder that bred them as hobby. They were pretty cheap. I wanted to learn and start out with some so it won't hurt as much if i had issues. They have grown extremely well under my care and also following what i have read in this forum. I still want to give them the best life they can have so that is why i was wondering when i should transfer them. As far as water change, even if they don't need it, if i do endup transferring them to the larger tank, i will still do at least a 50 gallon water change everyday.

Warlock4169, your explaination makes sense to me too. I have 2 that are approaching the 4" mark, maybe i will throw them in the 125 first and leave the others till they reach close to the 4" mark.

Getting impatient because i want to clear the 40 gallon tank so i can place a order from either Hans or Kenny for the top quality fish. But i will wait.

Skip
06-08-2011, 04:05 PM
no!!!!.. discus like to be in groups, they feel more safe..

if you really feel the need to put them in 125.. then add a divider and keep them between 1/3 to 1/2 the tank (nothing TOO BIG).. you put them in smaller area confined.. AND all the water of 125!!

ZX10R
06-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I grew out all my 2"-3" juvies I bought in a 92 gallon corner tank doing a 60% WC every three days. One year later I have several that are around 6" the rest might be pushing 4.5"-5".

pennex1
06-09-2011, 08:48 AM
no!!!!.. discus like to be in groups, they feel more safe..

if you really feel the need to put them in 125.. then add a divider and keep them between 1/3 to 1/2 the tank (nothing TOO BIG).. you put them in smaller area confined.. AND all the water of 125!!

that is a great idea! why didn't i think of that. Going to go to home depot and get a egg crate tile and cut it to size.

thanks Warlock

Skip
06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
that is a great idea! why didn't i think of that. Going to go to home depot and get a egg crate tile and cut it to size.

thanks Warlock

:thumbsup:
i know.. its a slight flaw in my character..