PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that the color of the back round and gravil make a differece in color?

mattsoccer20
06-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi guys i just want to make sure if it is 100% true that if i have a dark gravel and a dark back round it will make the discus turn a dark ish? So far i think its true because my blue diamonds and tiger SS are kind of dark ish color at some times (there very healthy, the eat, and come to see me sometimes, and i can see some of the color there suppose to show) and a few people say it is true. So i think its the gravel because i change the backing and nothing changes in color wise so i will soon take out the gravel but my question is can i have a dark color backing (i like the darker backings because it makes the color of the fish glow) and just change the gravel to a sand color gravel? Thanks

Larry Bugg
06-08-2011, 09:36 PM
How many people have told you to change the color of the background and the substrate for just this reason. How many times do you need to ask the question before you are going to believe it???? I am one of the many that have talked with you about it. You just don't want to believe.

mattsoccer20
06-08-2011, 10:17 PM
How many people have told you to change the color of the background and the substrate for just this reason. How many times do you need to ask the question before you are going to believe it???? I am one of the many that have talked with you about it. You just don't want to believe.

No no no thats not what i mean i want to know if i need to change both gravel and backing. The rest was just extra stuff that i already know so if someone new came to answer they would know what we have been talking about.

ZX10R
06-08-2011, 10:27 PM
I have always been told the substrate makes a bigger difference with the fish color then the background. That being said I always went with a white substrate and a dark background.

Altum Nut
06-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Matt,

Why don't you change the substrate and keep the light colored backing for now and see how the fish adjust.
Much easier to change the background later on.
Now change that dammmm gravel already....your upsetting Skip.

...Ralph

Skip
06-08-2011, 10:57 PM

...Ralph

RALPH!!!!:flame:

:grin:
you know me so well.. LOL>. i was just about get on his A$$.. but looks like Larry already did it..

Altum Nut
06-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Skip....

Breathe in..... Breathe out.

I know, I have a 13 yr old at home. It seems to help me. Breathe in....Breathe out

...Ralph

Bill63SG
06-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Skip

I know, I have a 13 yr old at home. It seems to help me. Breathe in....Breathe out

...Ralph

Try it with a 17 year old.

Skip
06-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Skip....

Breathe in..... Breathe out.

...Ralph

Eskimos are smug...

THE ANGER DISCUS ARE IN MY HEAD!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKOXMb2L7S8&feature=related

mattsoccer20
06-08-2011, 11:11 PM
I have always been told the substrate makes a bigger difference with the fish color then the background. That being said I always went with a white substrate and a dark background.

Thanks ill try that and see how it goes.

RALPH!!!!:flame:

:grin:
you know me so well.. LOL>. i was just about get on his A$$.. but looks like Larry already did it..

That would not go well lol

Matt,

Why don't you change the substrate and keep the light colored backing for now and see how the fish adjust.
Much easier to change the background later on.

...Ralph

lol i will

mattsoccer20
06-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Oh and one more thing. So you said you use the dark backing and a light substrate. Do your discus sgow there full colors? Thanks

ZX10R
06-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Oh and one more thing. So you said you use the dark backing and a light substrate. Do your discus sgow there full colors? Thanks

I thought they looked just as good with there color as everyone elses. I do have some peppering on 3 of my discus that are pigeon based but they might not of been clean pigeons to begin with.

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Just to make things interesting, I have a black background, dark brown substrate and very vibrant cobalt and blue diamond enjoying life in that planted tank. Just ask Cozykeith je has seen them. Bill

mattsoccer20
06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I thought they looked just as good with there color as everyone elses. I do have some peppering on 3 of my discus that are pigeon based but they might not of been clean pigeons to begin with.

Oh ok cool. I think ill do that then. Thanks

Just to make things interesting, I have a black background, dark brown substrate and very vibrant cobalt and blue diamond enjoying life in that planted tank. Just ask Cozykeith je has seen them. Bill

Really? Can you post a video or a picture? Thanks

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Look at my avatar, that is the BD. I can post other pics later

mattsoccer20
06-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Look at my avatar, that is the BD. I can post other pics later

Oh wow thats a very nice BD

Altum Nut
06-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Oh great.....were playing Matt like a Yo-Yo.
Now he is going to keep the dark with the dark. Skip is really going to be pissed now.
Matt,
Obviously the fish came from a great source (Mike B) and they appear to be dark in your procession...so let’s not go back buddy just because it works for someone else. Correct the mistakes and move forward.

Anyone care to join me for a drink or two.
...Ralph

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Sorry Ralph. I couldn't help it. It is probably water quality issues Matt. Getting rid of the gravel will help you with your water quality issues.
Bill

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Just another thought it could also have a lot to do with your lighting.

mattsoccer20
06-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Now he is going to keep the dark with the dark. Skip is really going to be pissed now.
Matt,
Obviously the fish came from a great source (Mike B) and they appear to be dark in your procession...so let’s not go back buddy just because it works for someone else. Correct the mistakes and move forward.

...Ralph

No its fine i was not planning on going back to dark and dark. Im going to keep the dark backing but change the gravil. But i cant deside between a sand colored gravil and white. I dont think i want the white because it looks bad when algae gets on it.

Skip
06-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Matt,

...Ralph

Goosfraba.. Goosfraba.. Goosfraba.. Goosfraba.. Goosfraba..

wendy9722
06-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Goosfraba.. Goosfraba.. Goosfraba.. Goosfraba.. Goosfraba..

huh???

Talking about beating a dead horse..........

Altum Nut
06-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Sorry Ralph. I couldn't help it. It is probably water quality issues Matt. Getting rid of the gravel will help you with your water quality issues.
Bill

Ha-ha...never a need to be sorry Bill.
I just feel this thread is just like a fairies-wheel.
I'm just worried about Skip.

…Ralph

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 11:06 PM
It's time for Skip to come up with one of his crazy videos or pictures. Off topic. I was watching the latest Die Hard movie and it made me think of Skip. "we can't go to Warlock's house" .
Bill

Bill63SG
06-09-2011, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=mattsoccer20; gravil.[/QUOTE]

gravel.

Skip
06-09-2011, 11:26 PM
It's time for Skip to come up with one of his crazy videos or pictures. Off topic. I was watching the latest Die Hard movie and it made me think of Skip. "we can't go to Warlock's house" .
Bill

i did! its called "DONT" MESS WITH TEXAS"

mattsoccer20
06-10-2011, 12:11 AM
gravel.

What?

i did! its called "DONT" MESS WITH TEXAS"

Great we cant wait lol

Skip
06-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Great we cant wait lol

i made another thread in my HOMESTEAD>>