PDA

View Full Version : Water change using pre-filter, pvc pipe, and potable garden hoses

Vee
06-09-2011, 02:33 AM
I went to the Home Depot and bought 1/2" pvc pipes and fittings and put together a water return that attached to my 2 stage prefilter (carbon block and a .5 micron filter). I used potable garden hoses (they come in whte or blue) that a bought from the Home Depot and Menards (one 10 feet, the other 50 feet), v-spout (so that I can quickly set the temperature then send it to the pre-filters) and plastic quick release valves from the garden section. To reduce the carbon bubbles, I placed a large Aquaclear filter on the end. I used PVC glue for most of the joints. I kept some unglued so that I could swivel the head. The prefilter was purchased online at http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/WCStandardCanisters.htm

Cambik
06-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Out of curiosity other than Clorine what are you trying to filter out with your pre-filter?

Vee
06-09-2011, 10:19 AM
The prefilters take out heavy metals, rust, toxins, and cryptosporidium and other bugs. It's surprising how dirty the water is - the filters go from sparkling white to dark brown in a matter of months.

discuspaul
06-09-2011, 09:57 PM
IME pre-filters are an absolutely wonderful thing. They pick up a tremendous amount of unwanted and/or discolorate material from the water column, resulting in much more clarity to your water, but as an added bonus -they reduce the discoloration and mulm build-up in your major filter media by at least 50%, which means you need to clean, rinse, change media, etc. in less than 1/2 the usual time frames.

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 10:07 PM
I think the prefilters he is talking about here are the 2 on the floor that filter the incoming tap water. I agree though a prefilter on the filter intake is helpful in keeping filter media clean.
Bill

asifgy
06-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Is that a ro unit on the floor??? Will it remove chlorine from the tap water???

Northwoods Discus
06-09-2011, 11:40 PM
It looks like filters no R/O membrane.

Vee
06-10-2011, 01:12 AM
No RO membrane but carbon block and .5 micron filter. It does remove chlorine but I still use Safe (which I recommend). RO water is not really good for young discus because it takes out alot of the minerals that are necessary for growth. I find these filters soften the water so I add in a capful of Replenish.

asifgy
06-10-2011, 08:54 PM
So, is it possible to run a 5 stage ro unit directly from tap to tank??

Vee
06-10-2011, 09:10 PM
I don't know...anyone??

roclement
06-10-2011, 09:13 PM
So, is it possible to run a 5 stage ro unit directly from tap to tank??

In theory yes but you will get water that is cold and very slow flow, also with no minerals in it at all...

Let's not confuse the pre-filter our friend has built with a complete RO unit, he is using two stages here, the floss for solids and the carbon block for chemicals. Both of these elements can withstand water running at a high flow rate and at the temperature required by discus. Units like this are readely available on-line and in home stores, I personaly like transparent containers so you can see the condition of the micron element.

Nice set-up, it should work well for you for a long time!

Rodrigo

Vee
06-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks, Rodrigo! BTW, I'm a girl. :P

roclement
06-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Rodrigo! BTW, I'm a girl. :P

My appologies! : )

Rodrigo

nc0gnet0
06-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Just don't count on that setup to remove 100% of your chlorine/chloramines. Your flow will be a bit too fast for the carbon block to be 100% effective, and you will need to make sure your keep up on the replacement carts.