PDA

View Full Version : Beef Heart and Discus

Zoom
06-09-2011, 09:31 PM
This question goes out to the people that have fed or are currently feeding their Discus beefheart for any periods of time.

How many of you guys have kept Discus alive for more than 7+ years while feeding beef heart? If you have, please state how long you've been feeding your Discus beef heart and how frequently during that time period.

Thanks.

Al M.
06-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I have been feeding beef heart for as long as I've had discus 30 years.....I have had discus that have lived over 7 years,but the problem for me is once alot of them get over 5,6,7, years I think they start to loose their appearence and productiveness so I usually sell them......I have A couple of Blue Diamonds now that are atleast 6 years old but they are starting to look alittle rough.....

Right now I'm feeding my 15 young Blue Diamonds beef heart 4 times a day and blood worms 1 or 2 times.... my adults get it twice a day and maybe blood worms once.....

Why the question? have you had problems? .....I have never had problems feeding beef heart......maybe other foods......

Zoom
06-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I ask this because I'm trying to persuade my friend who's also raising Discus on beef to stop feeding his fish beef heart. Fish aren't meant to digest mammals.. I know a guy who fed his Discus nothing but NLS exclusively and his fish are pushing 10 years old and 7.5". With the lack of responses and 1 person saying that their Discus started going downhill after 7 years, I think I have enough to persuade my friend to stop. Hopefully others will see this and stop feeding their Discus beef heart as well..

Skip
06-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I ask this because I'm trying to persuade my friend who's also raising Discus on beef to stop feeding his fish beef heart. Fish aren't meant to digest mammals.. I know a guy who fed his Discus nothing but NLS exclusively and his fish are pushing 10 years old and 7.5". With the lack of responses and 1 person saying that their Discus started going downhill after 7 years, I think I have enough to persuade my friend to stop. Hopefully others will see this and stop feeding their Discus beef heart as well..

WHAT?!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_legfaumrPx1qbvoy4o1_400.gif

LOL!! are you serious..?! maybe your friend know better then you.. it is not a good idea to feed fish only 1 type of food EXCLUSIVELY >> Variety is the spice of life!

Zoom
06-10-2011, 02:25 PM
WHAT?!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_legfaumrPx1qbvoy4o1_400.gif

LOL!! are you serious..?! maybe your friend know better then you.. it is not a good idea to feed fish only 1 type of food EXCLUSIVELY >> Variety is the spice of life!

NLS is as closed to balanced as it gets. Sounds to good to be true right? It isn't. And my friend thats feeding his fish beef heart knows better than me? He's good with fish, but when it comes to food choices.. Beef Heart.. is the WORST food you can feed ANY fish.

Gillmann
06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
For the acronym impaired like me, what is "NLS"?

Skip
i think you are Trolling.. but i will bit..

Beef Heart.. is the WORST food you can feed ANY fish.
PROVE IT!

Skip

new life spectrum its a pellet food

ste12000
06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Beef heart always causes controversy and although i agree with you to a certain extent and dont feed beefheart myself i suspect that the majority do and have had little problems doing so, i would suggest leaving others to do their thing and stick to your own feeding regime.

One question i would ask of all those that feed beefheart, is why do you feed it? only a handful of serious keepers/breeders on here have done any serious indepth research into this food, the rest just follow like lambs because its THE food to feed..Most dont know why they feed it, simply that its the recomended feed.

For the record i feed my discus Whiteworm, grindalworm, live daphnia, mosquito larvae, good quality granular food and a home made mix of prawn, mussel, whitefish, greens and vitamins.. My fish thrive on this diet and in my opinion its a more natural diet than cow meat.

seanyuki
06-10-2011, 02:54 PM
beef heart no good then what about seafood mixture?......beef heart fed to juv discus have faster growth rate than just feeding just NLS.......Pro discus breeders have been feeding discus with beefheart for decades so are they wrong .

Zoom
06-10-2011, 02:55 PM
i think you are Trolling.. but i will bit..

PROVE IT!

Not really trolling.. more like challenging something thats not right to me and I most certainly can.

(A message sent to me by a trusted expert)

Liver Damage and Red Meats,

"The routine of feeding beef heart and other red meats to Cichlids can ultimately give rise to health problems. Poultry meat is also suspect. Red meats, including lean meats such as beef heart, contain the wrong sorts of fats - these harden within the cold-blooded fish, leading to blockages and fatty deposits around the liver.

Also, the relative proportions of amino acids within the mammalian proteins are different to those required by fish. Hence, feeding red meats will cause the cichlid to excrete more nitrogenous (ammonia) wastes, thereby placing an extra burden on the biological filter.
The following is a direct quote from Lee Newman, curator of the Amazon tanks at the vancouver Aquarium.

"I suggest, however, that you avoid those that incorporate beef heart. Beef heart is a fatty meat that will ultimately lead to the fatty degeneration of the liver in long-lived cichlids."
Now read this:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...m_content=html

What do Discus eat?

I have examined hundreds of specimens during many years and stomach and gut contents among wild Discus indicate an order of precedence: detritus, then plant material (flowers, fruits, seeds, leaves), algae and micro-algae, aquatic invertebrates and terrestrial and arboreal arthropods.

The Amazon has adapted to nature for fishes during millennia of evolution. Plants of the tropical rainforest have little water and cannot flourish during the dry season so cannot waste energy. The same happens to most freshwater fishes.

During the dry period, with a much reduced water level and hardly any food source — except for predators — many fish starve or feed on the little available, usually detritus.

Discus and many other fishes eat what they can get, but have to be constantly aware of carnivorous predators.

During the six to nine months of floods, almost all trees and bushes, flower and have fruits and seeds — which is the main nutrition of roughly 75% of all Amazonian fishes.

The adults, and babies which grow to adults in that period, can then fill their stomachs and guts.

The carnivorous predators starve as they cannot find their prey in the huge water masses.

How much nutrition?

I have found the following percentage of nutrition in each one of the three species:

Symphysodon discus during low water: 55% detritus; 15% plant material; 12% algae and micro-algae; 10% aquatic invertebrates; 8% terrestrial and arboreal arthropods. During high water: 28% detritus; 52% plant material; 5% algae and micro-algae; 3% aquatic invertebrates; 12% terrestrial and arboreal arthropods.

Symphysodon aequifasciatus low water: 52% detritus; 18% plant material; 15% algae and micro-algae; 13% aquatic invertebrates; 2% terrestrial and arboreal arthropods. High water: 8% detritus; 62% plant material; 8% algae and micro-algae; 5% aquatic invertebrates; 17% terrestrial and arboreal arthropods.

Symphysodon haraldi low water: 39% detritus; 9% plant material; 25% algae and micro-algae; 22% aquatic invertebrates; 5% terrestrial and arboreal arthropods. High water: 6% detritus; 44% Plant material; 12% algae and micro-algae; 16% aquatic invertebrates; 22% terrestrial and aboreal arthropods.

Who's data was clearly backed up by the findings in this study.
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?scri...52008000400008

"This species feeds predominantly on algal periphyton, fine organic detritus, plant matter, and small aquatic invertebrates."
"The alimentary canal of Symphysodon is characterized by a poorly defined stomach and an elongate intestine, some 300 mm long and 3 mm wide (in a 180 mm SL specimen). This intestinal morphology is typical of a cichlid with a dominantly vegetarian, detritivorous, or omnivorous diet."

Beef heart always causes controversy and although i agree with you to a certain extent and dont feed beefheart myself i suspect that the majority do and have had little problems doing so, i would suggest leaving others to do their thing and stick to your own feeding regime.

One question i would ask of all those that feed beefheart, is why do you feed it? only a handful of serious keepers/breeders on here have done any serious indepth research into this food, the rest just follow like lambs because its THE food to feed..

For the record i feed my discus Whiteworm, grindalworm, live daphnia, mosquito larvae, good quality granular food and a home made mix of prawn, mussel, whitefish, greens and vitamins.. My fish thrive on this diet and in my opinion its a more natural diet than cow meat.

I'm sure they have little problems.. but getting their fish to live passed 7+ years is another thing.

seanyuki
06-10-2011, 02:56 PM
NLS= New Life Spectrum.......I stopped usiing that product.

dean9922
06-10-2011, 03:01 PM
THis is an interesting post as I have thought about this also. I feed my discus 2X's a day with beefheart, once with frozen bloodworms and once a day with my seafood mix. I do wonder what implications, if any down the road, that would effect my fish also. I agree that seafood mix is more "natural" for discus along with worms etc. I mean lets face it, wild discus do not eat cow in the wild. It will be interesting to see the responses put forward on this. I do know that beefheart does certainly make them grow.....and like they say...."when in rome do like the romans".....lol
I do agree with Seanyuki in regards to NLS....I have had several people who have told me they are not happy with this food.

Zoom
06-10-2011, 03:10 PM
THis is an interesting post as I have thought about this also. I feed my discus 2X's a day with beefheart, once with frozen bloodworms and once a day with my seafood mix. I do wonder what implications, if any down the road, that would effect my fish also. I agree that seafood mix is more "natural" for discus along with worms etc. I mean lets face it, wild discus do not eat cow in the wild. It will be interesting to see the responses put forward on this. I do know that beefheart does certainly make them grow.....and like they say...."when in rome do like the romans".....lol
I do agree with Seanyuki in regards to NLS....I have had several people who have told me they are not happy with this food.

I'm still waiting on responses from people who feed BH as well lol.

The problem most ppl have with NLS is the mess their fish make when eating it. This shouldn't happen if you get the proper size pellet for the Discus. 1mm sized pellets are fine for most sized Discus.

Northwoods Discus
06-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Most people feeding "beefheart" feed a mixture. We just say beefheart but it includes may of the same additives you are talking about and the beef is used for the primary protein source. Protein is protein if it comes from a bug or a cow. It is broken into amino acids by digestion and rebuilt into fish proteins by the body. With what we add to the beef we are making a balance, pure beef heart alone would be unbalanced. JMO
Bill

seanyuki
06-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Seems like you're promoting NLS products.........I have been feeding beefheart to my discus for years but I also feed them with flakes/pellets but not NLS lol.......also I have not seen any reviews saying that NLS actually enhance the color of the discus.....perhaps others can chime in.

I'm still waiting on responses from people who feed BH as well lol.

The problem most ppl have with NLS is the mess their fish make when eating it. This shouldn't happen if you get the proper size pellet for the Discus. 1mm sized pellets are fine for most sized Discus.

Zoom
06-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Seems like you're promoting NLS products.........I have been feeding beefheart to my discus for years but I also feed them with flakes/pellets but not NLS lol.......also I have not seen any reviews saying that NLS actually enhance the color of the discus.....perhaps others can chime in.

If it sounds like I am than so be it lol. Theres other great brands out there too, but IMO NLS beats out the rest. I have actually seen good results with NLS.

First picture is when I first got my Flowerhorn. Was feeding it a varied diet. Color wasn't looking to great so I switched to NLS exclusively and you can tell the change is quite dramatic.

Anyway, this thread was made to Discus BH and not NLS but I just posted my results just for anyone else who is curious.

seanyuki
06-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Then you should not mentioned NLS products in any of yr posts......just say is beefheart is bad for discus......the pros & cons when feeding beafheart to the discus lol

=Zoom;772989]If it sounds like I am than so be it lol. Theres other great brands out there too, but IMO NLS beats out the rest. I have actually seen good results with NLS.

First picture is when I first got my Flowerhorn. Was feeding it a varied diet. Color wasn't looking to great so I switched to NLS exclusively and you can tell the change is quite dramatic.

Anyway, this thread was made to Discus BH and not NLS but I just posted my results just for anyone else who is curious.[/QUOTE]

Darrell Ward
06-10-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't think it really matters what you feed them, as long as they get enough nutrition to grow and stay healthy. At the end of the day they are still fish, and fish are not as complex creatures as mammals. Water quality is still, and will always be more important than any brand name, or origin of food.

Zoom
06-10-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't think it really matters what you feed them, as long as they get enough nutrition to grow and stay healthy. At the end of the day they are still fish, and fish are not as complex creatures as mammals. Water quality is still, and will always be more important than any brand name, or origin of food.

I disagree with you there.. but hey if thats what you feel about your fish then more power to ya.

Al M.
06-10-2011, 04:35 PM
WOW

I never said they go down hill after 7 years......I breed fish so when they get older they aren't that useful to me any more....

All discus as thet get older are NOT as attractive as when they are young....just like people...

I DO NOT just feed beef heart, but it is they're staple.......

My mixture of beef heart has alot of things in it that is good for the fish, includeing Heart, shrimp, bananas, vitamins,spinach,flake foods and other.....

Some one was just looking to rip beef heart......

Beef heart is fed because its realitively cheap high in protein and you can add multiple things to it to make it fit your own needs.....

Show me where discus eat flake food in the wild........ or 90% of what we feed them......

Al M.
06-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Just finished reading all of the thread.....

Beef heart is NOT fatty thats why its fed......Its A very lean meat with all the fat cut off, thats the main reason why its fed......

You have not done your home work......Neer feed anthing exclusively.......

I don't want to put words in anyones mouth but Brewmeister the owner of this website sell 10 lbs. of beef heart at A time to hobbyists.....

Jack Wattley fed beef heart for years and years till he retired from the discus market.......

And not to compare myself to them but I have been raising discus for 30 years......

Whats your experience with discus.....

By the way I can add more but I think you get the Point.....

Zoom
06-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Just finished reading all of the thread.....

Beef heart is NOT fatty thats why its fed......Its A very lean meat with all the fat cut off, thats the main reason why its fed......

You have not done your home work......Neer feed anthing exclusively.......

I don't want to put words in anyones mouth but Brewmeister the owner of this website sell 10 lbs. of beef heart at A time to hobbyists.....

Jack Wattley fed beef heart for years and years till he retired from the discus market.......

And not to compare myself to them but I have been raising discus for 30 years......

Whats your experience with discus.....

By the way I can add more but I think you get the Point.....

Just because someone feds their Discus beef heart for many years does not make it right.

You're wrong, beef heart, no matter how lean it is, is wrong for all fish. Fish are not meant to digest beef heart and once the digestion process starts, the amount of fat from the BH deposits onto the liver and other organs inside the fish.

Discus are no different from any other SA cichlid. And sure, I don't have much experience with Discus, but if you're going to tell me that feeding BH to Discus is perfectly healthy than you've got that wrong pal. The only thing you're doing is telling me, a novice with Discus, is that theres people that have been feeding their Discus for years. That means nothing to me. Nor does your experience if you can't seem to give me a reason why you choose beef heart over healthier alternatives. If years of experience is your way of trying to prove that feeding Discus BH won't shorten their lives than you got to be pretty ignorant. If ANYONE has anything to say regarding how they use BH and how long their fish has lived, I would love to hear it. If you have any proof or evidence that feeding BH does not affect the longevity of your Discus than I would be more than happy to see that too.

Zoom
06-10-2011, 05:28 PM
WOW

I never said they go down hill after 7 years......I breed fish so when they get older they aren't that useful to me any more....

All discus as thet get older are NOT as attractive as when they are young....just like people...

I DO NOT just feed beef heart, but it is they're staple.......

My mixture of beef heart has alot of things in it that is good for the fish, includeing Heart, shrimp, bananas, vitamins,spinach,flake foods and other.....

Some one was just looking to rip beef heart......

Beef heart is fed because its realitively cheap high in protein and you can add multiple things to it to make it fit your own needs.....

Show me where discus eat flake food in the wild........ or 90% of what we feed them......

My mistake for assuming so. So how long did your fish last? I'm pretty much ripping on BH because it is crap food. And sure, we can't replicate Discus's diet, but we can make wise decisions on what is healthiest for our fish. Beef heart just isn't one of them..

Skip
06-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Who care if a discus lives over 7 years.. too many great fish out there to keep any past 2.. Sell them and get more..

Why do u care what anybody esle does.. Ur going to feed nls to ur fish.

Zoom
06-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Who care if a discus lives over 7 years.. too many great fish out there to keep any past 2.. Sell them and get more..

Why do u care what anybody esle does.. Ur going to feed nls to ur fish.

Because, believe it or not, There are people out there that actually want their fish to live to their max life expectancy. I'm pretty sure I've gotten some peoples attention that have been feeding BH and they plan on reconsidering, My buddy just turned over a new leaf just reading these responses. NO one has give me a reason not to dislike BH.

Zoom
06-10-2011, 05:40 PM

And Seanyuki, here you go. If this doesn't prove to you that NLS is great for Discus, than well.. Sucks LOL

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/fairdeals-65/new-supplier-15533/

Al M.
06-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Come on Zoom

this is my last try on this subjuct......

Are you saying that Jack Wattley knows nothing on whats good for discus?

That nls is better? prove that....

This is just why alot of us don't post and are just lurkers because we hate getting into debates with people that don't know any better.....

Like I said I don't want to put words in other peoples mouths but, are you saying with all the info Al Sabatta has put on here over the years that he would feed his fish beef heart if he didn't think it was good for them.....

There are tons of people that feed beef heart that are breeders and advanced hobbists that have done their home work but I'm not good enough with the key board to type all day....

One last thing check out my post on the University thread about rating fish, hes not A show stopper but not A bad fish that was raised on beef heart.......

I probably will not post any more on this thread..... sorry.....

Altum Nut
06-10-2011, 05:50 PM
This question goes out to the people that have fed or are currently feeding their Discus beefheart for any periods of time.

How many of you guys have kept Discus alive for more than 7+ years while feeding beef heart? If you have, please state how long you've been feeding your Discus beef heart and how frequently during that time period.

Thanks.

I'll answer your question:

I was told by many Angel breeders to not feed BH. Well, just to let you know, I still have Altums past 7 yrs old that keep up with the younger group.
Discus...I have a group of Stendker Santerums 5+ yrs still pumping out fry. Two 6.5"+ RSS 5+ yrs who think they are still juvies.
All other Discus juvies bought at 2"+ have grown out to very healthy large Discus on BH.

You have posted one thing and think you will change the minds of Discus keepers using BH is not the route to go on this forum.

If I told you that what you eat on any regular day is not healthy for you...wouldn't you be pi**ed off.

As Bill mentioned...It's not the main food source we only offer.
It's funny you don't mention anything about ON Flakes, or FDBW also being a good nutritional food sources.

...Ralph

Larry Bugg
06-10-2011, 05:55 PM
And Seanyuki, here you go. If this doesn't prove to you that NLS is great for Discus, than well.. Sucks LOL

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/fairdeals-65/new-supplier-15533/

Beefheart is not my staple but I have to jump on this one. Providing a link to some great looking discus does not back up your point. Nothing scientific there. I bet the beefheart supporters can provide you with more pictures of great looking show winners from beefheart than you can from NLS.

Skip
06-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Become a homesteader.. And give us updates on ur non bh fish and where they in 9 years or more.. proof is in the pudding.. I think u should be alot concerned about water quality.. That will kill ur vegan fish faster then bh

zchauvin
06-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Become a homesteader.. And give us updates on ur non bh fish and where they in 9 years or more.. proof is in the pudding.. I think u should be alot concerned about water quality.. That will kill ur vegan fish faster then bh

Lol where we get beautiful wilds there are so many cow hearts floating around..... sure bh is good but be easy, after all with good water and food some fish don't look good yet wilds do. It's nature, how's that for proof being in the pudding..

Zoom
06-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Come on Zoom

this is my last try on this subjuct......

Are you saying that Jack Wattley knows nothing on whats good for discus?

That nls is better? prove that....

This is just why alot of us don't post and are just lurkers because we hate getting into debates with people that don't know any better.....

Like I said I don't want to put words in other peoples mouths but, are you saying with all the info Al Sabatta has put on here over the years that he would feed his fish beef heart if he didn't think it was good for them.....

There are tons of people that feed beef heart that are breeders and advanced hobbists that have done their home work but I'm not good enough with the key board to type all day....

One last thing check out my post on the University thread about rating fish, hes not A show stopper but not A bad fish that was raised on beef heart.......

I probably will not post any more on this thread..... sorry.....

In the December 2006 edition of TFH magazine (where Jack is a regular contributor) he states; "I believe I've moved in a new direction regarding the feeding of discus, and after many tests feel that a top quality flake or pellet food formulated especially for discus is perhaps the best direction to take." This mean anything to you? lol

I'll answer your question:

I was told by many Angel breeders to not feed BH. Well, just to let you know, I still have Altums past 7 yrs old that keep up with the younger group.
Discus...I have a group of Stendker Santerums 5+ yrs still pumping out fry. Two 6.5"+ RSS 5+ yrs who think they are still juvies.
All other Discus juvies bought at 2"+ have grown out to very healthy large Discus on BH.

You have posted one thing and think you will change the minds of Discus keepers using BH is not the route to go on this forum.

If I told you that what you eat on any regular day is not healthy for you...wouldn't you be pi**ed off.

As Bill mentioned...It's not the main food source we only offer.
It's funny you don't mention anything about ON Flakes, or FDBW also being a good nutritional food sources.

...Ralph

If someone presented me with information explaining why the food everyday was bad for me, then of course I'd change it. I mean after all, it is MY life. However I control my Discus's lives, and I want to do all that I can to keep them healthy and live a long full life. As for flakes, they are a poor choice, compared to pellets but still better than BH lol. As for FDBW(Blackworms or blood worms?) Blood worms lack nutritional value.. black worms are okay.. still better than beef heart LOL.

Beefheart is not my staple but I have to jump on this one. Providing a link to some great looking discus does not back up your point. Nothing scientific there. I bet the beefheart supporters can provide you with more pictures of great looking show winners from beefheart than you can from NLS.

Oh? You said you didn't see any reviews on whether NLS improved Discus's colors. I just gave you one. I'm pretty sure BH supporters can provide me pictures, but can they tell me how long they've kept their fish alive for?

Maintaining good water quality is essential for ALL fish. I'm pretty sure there are people on this site that have kept discus for more than 9 years. I want those people to chime in and tell me how long their fish has lived. This thread isn't about what kills Discus faster, bad water or bh.

Skip
06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Ur funny! Get some discus first.. Then come back to the big kid table.. ;)

Ps u remind me of the "why do water changes" guy... He kept going on about proof and more proof.. J wonder if u same person! lol

Zoom
06-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Ur funny! Get some discus first.. Then come back to the big kid table.. ;)

Ps u remind me of the "why do water changes" guy... He kept going on about proof and more proof.. J wonder if u same person! lol

*** are you talking about. Water changes for Discus is a no brainer.. beef heart? Well.. Can't say the same for that.

Aight Big boy. You can be the big kid slowly killing their fish, its cool with me ;P

Altum Nut
06-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Quote by Zoom: If someone presented me with information explaining why the food everyday was bad for me, then of course I'd change it. I mean after all, it is MY life. However I control my Discus's lives, and I want to do all that I can to keep them healthy and live a long full life. As for flakes, they are a poor choice, compared to pellets but still better than BH lol. As for FDBW(Blackworms or blood worms?) Blood worms lack nutritional value.. black worms are okay.. still better than beef heart LOL.

Your contradicting yourself with your comment:
If you so say that BH is so bad...why do the many of us have so healthy Discus.
We appreciate your concern but leave to the Discus owner to do and feed what they want.
By any chance....your not the guy or related too who said the world was going to end..ARE YOU!

...Ralph

brewmaster15
06-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Zoom,
I've sent you a pm..

Everyone... Please keep it civil.

Thanks,
al

Rex82
06-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Agreed!!

Just because someone feds their Discus beef heart for many years does not make it right.

You're wrong, beef heart, no matter how lean it is, is wrong for all fish. Fish are not meant to digest beef heart and once the digestion process starts, the amount of fat from the BH deposits onto the liver and other organs inside the fish.

Discus are no different from any other SA cichlid. And sure, I don't have much experience with Discus, but if you're going to tell me that feeding BH to Discus is perfectly healthy than you've got that wrong pal. The only thing you're doing is telling me, a novice with Discus, is that theres people that have been feeding their Discus for years. That means nothing to me. Nor does your experience if you can't seem to give me a reason why you choose beef heart over healthier alternatives. If years of experience is your way of trying to prove that feeding Discus BH won't shorten their lives than you got to be pretty ignorant. If ANYONE has anything to say regarding how they use BH and how long their fish has lived, I would love to hear it. If you have any proof or evidence that feeding BH does not affect the longevity of your Discus than I would be more than happy to see that too.

I've seen fish brought up on NLS exclusively and fish brought up on beefheart mix exclusively, the fish brought up on the beefheart looked great and looked healthy, I would own them in my tanks anytime, the fish brought up on oly NLS looked similar to Zoom' avatar, average but not great.
I know where i'll hedge my bets.

My mistake for assuming so. So how long did your fish last? I'm pretty much ripping on BH because it is crap food. And sure, we can't replicate Discus's diet, but we can make wise decisions on what is healthiest for our fish. Beef heart just isn't one of them..

You sound like a morman preaching on my doorstep...P*ss off!!! I'll make the decision myself

*** are you talking about. Water changes for Discus is a no brainer.. beef heart? Well.. Can't say the same for that.

Aight Big boy. You can be the big kid slowly killing their fish, its cool with me ;P

Ok high and mighty.......go start your own forum if you need to feel like a dictator. I'm all for discussion but preaching??? Get off my doorstep.

Oh and i've tried to feed NLS before..... Now i'm stuck with something that my fish dont eat, but will eat sera discus granules very easily. IMO if a food is hard to get the discus to eat.......It cant be that great.

jarret8x
06-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Maybe feeding your fish is bad for them too. I would never want to only feed my fish flakes. Because I know I wouldn't only want one food to eat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0
06-10-2011, 07:40 PM
first of all, what is it that makes a proccesed and preserved food made primarly from salt water species, more "natural" for a Discus over Beefheart? the whole premise of your argument is flawed. Last time I checked a discus was just as likely to run across a cow in the amazon as he was a group of krill or a patch of spirulina.

if you like to believe your NLS is healthier than beefheart, then by all means feed it (personally I feed both, along with a multitude of other things). But until you can show us documentation other than "opinions" that one is better than the other, it is what it is, just an opinion. And we all know what they say about them......................

Rick

Zoom
06-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Maybe feeding your fish is bad for them too. I would never want to only feed my fish flakes. Because I know I wouldn't only want one food to eat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I don't feed my fish flakes lol. Flakes are a poor choice in food IMO

brewmaster15
06-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Sorry Guys thread is closed.

-al