PDA

View Full Version : mixing angles/wilds and tank size??

zchauvin
06-10-2011, 08:28 PM
What are you guys thoughts on this?? I have my 75g biotope going now with 6 santarems and two gbrs as main fish. I went this route due to initial cost in this hobby and couldn't get ro/Di. Once I do buy my system I would like to get some kind of wilds. Don't know what kinds yet though. In a 75g if I were to get 6 say heckles/greens or whatever would it be overkill to add a pair of altums?? I've read about how angles can transmit diseases but I am curious and want some opinions. I would continue my 50g wc eod as I am now and keep my ph around 4-5 and gh,kh ect..as needed. Right now I have thirty fish total and my water parameters are perfect. Plenty of wc, nutrition, filtration. The works. Any comments are much appreciated. Thanks guys.

zchauvin
06-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Bump? :)

chuckbam
06-11-2011, 03:13 PM
I have done it successfully many time. But it is just like discus, you can have disease carrying anglers and need to quarantine. Make sure you fish are healthy before adding to your tank.

zchauvin
06-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the reply chuck, they will be put in 29g qt of course :))

chuckbam
06-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the reply chuck, they will be put in 29g qt of course :))

I hit them REAL HARD with Quick Cure a couple of times during quarantine.

( Not Discus, Angles and other fish Only)

Discus Origins
06-12-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about wild angels, which would be perfectly ok to add with discus as they are found in nature together. Altums usually ship extremely hard, if you find a source the younger the better. If you are looking at wild P. Scalare then quarantine them properly just like you would for any wilds.

With the water parameter you are aiming for the fish should be very happy. With ph between 4-5 it will help keep any parasites at bay.