PDA

View Full Version : Calibrate Visitherms?

mmorris
06-11-2011, 10:52 AM
I have a lot of Visitherms that I received when I traded in my Stealths. They seem to work OK, but the calibration is way off - by as much as 8 degrees. Are we supposed to be able to calibrate them somehow?

roundfishross
06-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I dont think they can be calibrated, theyre just off that much and have to be compensated for.

mmorris
06-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks Leo. Is this typical of Visitherms?

roundfishross
06-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I have run visitherms in the past and they were pretty accurate and aleays held a very constant temp,but if you look at them wrong they will crack the glass is very very thin! I prefer the really cheapo glass via aqua heaters from Ken they work well and are pretty darn reliable!

mmorris
06-11-2011, 03:25 PM
if you look at them wrong they will crack!

Thanks for the warning, Leo! I will be sure to always wear my best smile in the fish room. :smiley:

Apistomaster
06-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Great. I just received 22 Visitherm replacement for Stealths and have 20 more to return after I swap them out. Heaters are such pieces of junk for such an important piece of equipment.

ref0716
06-16-2011, 07:51 PM
I found the old Visitherms to work OK. They were mad in Italy. The new replacements (made in China - surprise) I received were not good at all. They can NOT be calibrated. They also seem unable to hold temperature above 84 degrees when at highest setting. About 20 percent of them work for only a month, and then quit. The pilot light goes on and off, but no heat is produced. They should also not be submerged beause they readily "fog up". I recently sent in some more Stealths (which I never had a problem with) for a monetary REFUND. Marineland is a great company, but their heaters are second rate at best. Offered for what it's worth.
Richard