PDA

View Full Version : 2 spawns in one week-same tank-???

MattV.
06-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Im currently raising 70 fry in a 55gal, in the 20gal the parents spawned again saturday6/4/11. Within 3 days 3/4 of eggs were white, next day the parents ate all white eggs leaving about 15-20 wigglers. thursday night did a WC, when i woke up friday i found 12 left on the daddy. But to my surprise there was another large batch of eggs on my spawning cone. Now today on sunday there are only about 20 white eggs the majority of the batch is wiggling. Wondering why such different results in the same tank in the same week. Mayb daddy blew his load too soon and mama was giving him a chance to make up for it.

MattV.
06-12-2011, 05:46 PM
the first 12 survivors should be ok with the larger batch once they are free swimmers in a few days right?

nc0gnet0
06-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Odds are the first batch will get eaten, but you never know.

Rick

Keith Perkins
06-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Odds are the first batch will get eaten, but you never know.

Rick

+1, the odds are pretty long the first small batch isn't eaten. If the second batch is that much bigger though that isn't such a bad thing. You could always try pulling them in a few days if they make it that long and try just raising them on bbs. I think I'd concentrate on the second batch though.

MattV.
06-13-2011, 01:02 AM
well theres 12 feeding off male for a cpl days now and it looks like the 2nd batch is about ready to join them, they seem to prefer the male for feeding.

MattV.
06-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Well lastnight to my surprise the 12 from the first batch were gone a few were dead on the bottom, I started to do a Water Change. I was starting to da another WC around lunch today and I noticed the other batch of wigglers starting to buzz off the cone. I finished the WC carefully then went back to work. When i got home there was only 5-6 left out of 60-70. 10-12 were dead on the bottom. I really didnt think they would eat them beacuse when they were buzzing off the cone the parents kept gathering them and bringing them back to the cone. Plus I have about 70 growing in a 55gal from the batch before and only 1 or 2 have died in 2 1/2 months. Im just confused and I try so hard it really gets frustrating. Mayb it was a few WC's I did a cpl days ago, ran out of r/o water and prime chlorine drops, so I used my tap water with Stress Coat from API because it said it removes chlorine/chloramines on the label. Im not sure what led to these problems, probly my water quality cause when i transferred the babies from the batch before i moved the sponge filter with them and put a new one in the 20 gal with the parents.