PDA

View Full Version : Discus weird behaviors

gabloo
06-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Hey guys,

I am not sure whether my discuses are showing some sign or not. I am trying to keep my discus my best I can. I was siphoning leftover food from my tank and right when I was doing that, I noticed some weird discus behaviors. This may not even a disease but I don't want to take chances. They are eating well and I have them for about 5 days. Did i do something wrong?

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started.

After water change a few of my discus swimming around very fast go up, down and sideway. After that they all hide at the back of sponge filters and some of my discuses are twitching.

2. Symptoms

Twitching and running around very fast

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Non

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

size - 40, about 5 days old. 6 discus with 3.5 - 4".

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

I don't age my water. I put worm water stright from tap and i let the water fall on to glass first before ending so water bubble will get a chance to remove. I have bare bottom setup.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 83

- ph 8.2

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading less than 20

- well water no

- municipal water no

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Nop

Sean Buehrle
06-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Are they doing this when you fill the tank or before you empty it? If when filling the tank You are exposing them to chlorine, get a water barrel and age it.

Water conditioners dont remove chlorine and chloramines immediately, your fish are exposed and its burning thier eyes and gills.

Think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

discolicious
06-13-2011, 07:53 PM
If your water isn't "well" water and isn't "municipal", where does it come from? Do you mean that you have a 40 gal. tank with six 3.5" to 4" discus in it and the tank is only 5 days old?
If so, is it cycled? The behavior you describe can be positive or negative. Discus sometimes behave similarly when they get fresh, new water. It can incite them to flirt (shimmy in front of each other) act excited, and even spawn... that would be especially true if they are in a tank that isn't cycled and ammonia is building up to uncomfortable levels just prior to your water change. It could also be negative behavior, just acting odd because there is something in the water affecting their gills and eyes as sean pointed out.

gabloo
06-13-2011, 09:10 PM
I live in a partment so is not well water for sure. I don't age my water as well. I have 2 sponge filter from Kenny, which is already cycled, in the tank so i can say my water is cycled. I do water change at least 55 % daily.

Elite Aquaria
06-13-2011, 09:54 PM
What do you use for dechlor?

Second Hand Pat
06-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Gabloo, age your water by aerating it for 24 hours and measure the ph before and after. If you have more then a .5 ph swing please age and aerate for 24 hours for your WCs.

gabloo
06-13-2011, 10:31 PM
I use Prime. Second Hand - i will do that tonight and test it out

Second Hand Pat
06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Gabloo, the reason I suggested that is my ph swings from 7.4 to 8.2 after aeration. Pat