PDA

View Full Version : Electronic softeners

Bud
06-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Has anyone here ever tried those electronic water softening devices that wrap around waterline?Id like to try one for house AND fish!

flyman767
06-13-2011, 10:47 PM
These units do nothing to soften water. They work on the principle of suspending calcium and magnesium from adhering to anything metal(copper pipes, iron, etc..). There are varying opinions on whether these home units work as advertised. Regardless, they do nothing for the aquarist.

Bud
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Dang....thanx though

annj
06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Best water softener I have tried is driftwood and clay pots. They both reduce water hardness naturally. Extremely small clay pots, unglazed with plants. I have about 5 in mine. And 4 large pieces of driftwood. Try that. I never have to worry about ph or amonia anymore.

Skip
06-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Has anyone here ever tried those electronic water softening devices that wrap around waterline?Id like to try one for house AND fish!

HUH!? how does that remove anything....?! magic?

roundfishross
06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
magic is exactly how they work! abracadabra!

ericatdallas
06-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Science, magic, it's all gibberish to me :)

discolicious
06-21-2011, 02:48 PM
water "softener" is a misnomer. They don't actually change the chemical makeup of the water at all. The electrical current they produce causes the scale that is produced by the calcinate to not bond to surfaces so it doesn't mess up the appliances. Instead, it bonds to itself (in theory), producing larger free floating particulates. So, while it may work to some degree to keep buildup off the pipes and fewer spot on the dishes... it does nothing to actually soften the water which would involve removing the calcinate by replacing it with chloride ions (either sodium or potassium)... Peat moss is still a good, natural way to soften water.

flyman767
06-21-2011, 04:06 PM
HUH!? how does that remove anything....?! magic?
They don't. It works on the principle of electrically suspending particles from sticking to metal. The commercial "high power" units seem to be fairly effective. However, the residential units are highly controversial whether they perform as advertised.
..Ray