PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

TwitchyDiscus
06-15-2011, 01:41 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

My red leopard discus's problem started about one day ago. It was fine but then it started clamping all of it's fins. It turned darker than usual and doesn't eat and swim very much.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Turned a bit dark in color, clamped fins, breathing kind of hard, small rips on fins, excess slime, staying near the top of the water line

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 gal 6 months, 6 4-5 inch discus

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
Tanks been running for 6 months,25%-50% WC twice a week, very thin gravel bed, no

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __85___

- ph __6.0___

- ammonia reading _0_

- nitrite reading _0_

- nitrate reading _0_

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
About 28 cardinal tetras

jpdevol
06-15-2011, 01:53 PM
One could expect that the cardinals may have brought in a pathogen.

I suggest that you move the affected Discus to a hospital tank (QT) with fresh water of same parameters (bare bottom, airstone, heater - no filter).

Initial treatment is intended to stabilize his condition: Methelyne Blue per label (typically 5ml per 10gal for Kordon brand) and one tablespoon of Aquarium salt per 10gal. Observe and report condition after 12 - 20hrs. Once stable, further treatment can be evaluated - likely parasite first, then bacteria or both. Monitor ammonia in QT and change water as needed to keep ammonia in-check.